what does "between" mean here?

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 09:22 pm
in George Orwell's novel Burmese Days, an indian havildar said "if the british left india, there wouldn't be a rupee or a virgin between" well I am not sure what "between "means here. Does it mean "left"?
Thank you
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,170 • Replies: 6
No top replies

roger

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 10:05 pm
@lizfeehily,
What was Orwell's complete sentence? Without looking up the source, I doubt anyone can answer.
lizfeehily

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2013 04:11 am
@roger,
You are right. I've put the text here. Hope that would help. Thank you

‘My friend, my friend, now come, come, please! That iss outrageous. You must not say such things of honourable English gentlemen!’
‘You don’t have to listen to the honourable gentlemen talking, doctor. I stood it as long as I could this morning. Ellis with his “dirty nigger”, Westfield with his jokes, Macgregor with his Latin tags and please give the bearer fifteen lashes. But when they got on to that story about the old havildar — you know, the dear old havildar who said that if the British left India there wouldn’t be a rupee or a virgin between — you know; well, I couldn’t stand it any longer. It’s time that old havildar was put on the retired list. He’s been saying the same thing ever since the Jubilee in ‘eighty-seven.’
roger

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2013 04:18 am
@lizfeehily,
I should have remembered that, but haven't read Burmese Days in a couple of years.

Well, his character just started to give an example of two remote points, and couldn't come up with good examples. Of course, the meaning was that there would breakdown of law and order if the British left India.

Whether that would have been true, or not is not relevant to the story, of course
lizfeehily

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2013 04:26 am
@roger,
so "between" here does mean "left". thanks for your answer~
roger

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2013 04:31 am
@lizfeehily,
Well yes, neither rupees nor virgins left between here and there.

If I were saying the same thing, I would probably say "Between Baffin Bay and Tierra del Fuego". On the other hand, Orwell was paid to write; no body gave me the first dime.
lizfeehily

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2013 04:34 am
@roger,
thank you~ Smile
0 Replies