Was the Exodus natural or supernatural, fact or fiction?

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 02:30 pm
Was the Exodus natural or supernatural, fact or fiction?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbJ6qVsu_MU

I have always had a problem with the notion that God would have hardened Pharaoh’s soft heart and pave the way for him to kill/murder the first born of Egypt. For God to do so would have been evil indeed.

Do you think that science has explained the purported miracles as natural phenomena?

From what I can see, the Jews who wrote the story did not take it literally.

http://www.raceandhistory.com/historicalviews/doubtingexodus.htm

Should Christians recognize the O T stories as natural or supernatural, fact or fiction?

Regards
DL
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 912 • Replies: 3
No top replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 02:52 pm
@Greatest I am,
It's fiction. Obviously.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 04:20 pm
@Greatest I am,
It's really neither fact nor fiction.

That there was an exodus of Jews from Egypt into what was then called Galilee is undeniable historic fact. There is no reason, either, to doubt the existence of a leader whose name was something like Moyshe (Moses). The supernatural aspects, however, i.e. the plagues sent by god, the parting of the Red Sea etc. etc. are obvious embellishments to the bare bones of historic fact. Likewise, most historians today believe that the description of Jews being oppressed in Egypt is, at the very least, an exaggeration. Some recently deciphered Egyptian writings would seem to indicate that the Jews were not particularly welcome in Egypt. Their leaving would likely have caused a sigh of relief rather than pursuit.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 04:22 pm
@Greatest I am,
I've always been a little disturbed over this story. Pharaoh seemed like a pretty decent guy, at least for the times, and probably would have done the right thing. So what happens? God "hardens his heart" and then has an excuse to punish him. What's up with that?
0 Replies