Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 09:31 pm
Don't tell me there ain't no good news these days. The flaky North Korean leader has kicked the bucket, it says here.

roger

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 09:34 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I'll be holding my breath till we see how this shakes out. I'm not sure North Korea has a deep well of sanity from which to draw.

Maybe we'll hear from FBM on the South Korean sentiment.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 09:38 pm
@roger,
Yeah, I have no idea what the line of succession is in the N. Korean political system. But, as you say, the pool to draw from probably isn't all that emotionally stable to start with.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 10:28 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
In case you didn't notice it, the date on that article is from December 18, 2011.
roger

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 11:12 pm
@Butrflynet,
Oh, crap.

I thought I scanned it for a date and didn't see it.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 11:22 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

In case you didn't notice it, the date on that article is from December 18, 2011.

to be this ignorant of global goings on has to be embarrassing......
Sturgis

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 12:01 am
@hawkeye10,
Butrflynet wrote:
Although the weasel has been dead for a little over a year, the item linked to has a few closing lines:

This is a breaking news story. Check back for more updates.

© 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Additionally, the story gained more recent attention this past December when it was said he died in a fit of rage over some work problems related to a project.

roger

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 12:10 am
@Sturgis,
Well, fan me with a blowtorch. That was a surprisingly unhelpful copyright date.
Sturgis

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 12:11 am
@roger,
Can't lend you the blowtorch it's being used for heating purposes.
roger

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 12:13 am
@Sturgis,
Geeze, man! Do you do grilled cheese on the electric iron?
Sturgis

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 12:15 am
@roger,
How'd you know?
0 Replies

Pearlylustre

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 01:09 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Butrflynet wrote:

to be this ignorant of global goings on has to be embarrassing......

But you're not too embarrassed to show how unkind you are by saying that. Somehow it kind of reminds me of how I teach my kids that it is really bad manners to point out other people's bad manners.
We all have 'oops' moments.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 01:22 am
@Pearlylustre,
Quote:
But you're not too embarrassed to show how unkind you are by saying that. Somehow it kind of reminds me of how I teach my kids that it is really bad manners to point out other people's bad manners.
We all have 'oops' moments.

spoken like a true American...."ok, so i guess I dont know where China is....ooops, dont hate me!"

btw, i pointed out embarrassing ignorance, not bad manors.
Pearlylustre

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 04:24 am
@hawkeye10,
I didn't say you were pointing out bad manners.
I'm Australian. I've travelled and I lived in Asia for 10 years. I know where China is. I just don't think it's very nice to try and add to the embarrassment of someone who's made a not very significant mistake.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 08:39 am
http://www.plumbbobblog.com/images/tennysonroneryendorsement.png

http://letterstoadyingdream.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/kim-jong-il-backed-obama-for-president.jpg
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 01:59 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Bloody Hell Andy you really need to keep up, Fatboy's been in charge for a long time. http://images.smh.com.au/2012/11/28/3841877/dh_kim-20121128062938156515-620x349.jpg

Guess you must have missed all the hijinks about the Chinese falling for the Onion spoof.

Quote:
The online version of China's Communist party newspaper has hailed a report by The Onion naming North Korean dictator Kim Jong-un as the sexiest man alive – not realising it is satire.

The People's Daily ran a 55-page photo spread on its website in a tribute to the leader, under the headline North Korea's top leader named The Onion's Sexiest Man Alive for 2012.

Quoting the Onion's spoof report, the Chinese newspaper wrote: "With his devastatingly handsome, round face, his boyish charm and his strong, sturdy frame, this Pyongyang-bred heartthrob is every woman's dream come true."

The People's Daily cited the Onion as saying: "Blessed with an air of power that masks an unmistakable cute, cuddly side, Kim made this newspaper's editorial board swoon with his impeccable fashion sense, chic short hairstyle, and, of course, that famous smile."Photos with the story include Kim on horseback squinting into the light, Kim waving towards a military parade, Kim wearing sunglasses and smiling, and touring a facility with his wife.

It is not the first time a state-run Chinese newspaper has fallen for a fictional report by The Onion. In 2002, the Beijing Evening News, one of the capital city's biggest tabloids at the time, published as news the fictional account that the US Congress wanted a new building and that it might leave Washington. The Onion article was a deadpan spoof of the way sports teams threaten to leave cities in order to get new stadiums.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/nov/27/china-kim-jong-un

0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 02:11 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

Mea maxima culpa. All I can say in self-defence is that -- as Sturgis has already pointed out -- Google was presenting the AP story as breaking news.
I mean, if you see it on the Internet it has to be true, right?
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 02:16 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Andrew? Living in Hawaii, you have to be more educated about our nemesis country then the rest of us because you live so much closer to North Korea then all of the country other then Alaska.

Alaska to North Korea: 3,719.61 miles
Quote:
About 4,000 miles which is the range of NK's nuclear missile.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_miles_is_it_from_Hawaii_to_North_Korea
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 02:16 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
Mea maxima culpa. All I can say in self-defence is that -- as Sturgis has already pointed out -- Google was presenting the AP story as breaking news.

What difference does that make? How can you not have known he was already dead?
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 02:20 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

How can you not have known he was already dead?

Were you aware that Satoshi Kon died in August of 2010? Probably not. Don't beat a dead horse. Everyone CAN'T know EVERYTHING. Rolling Eyes