Ethics

Reply Tue 29 Jan, 2013 12:19 am
James Rachels claims that when different cultures seem to have different moral systems, the truth is that “the differences [between our culture and others] is in our belief systems, not in our values” Why does Rachels think values are different sorts of things from beliefs? Can Rachels distinguish values from beliefs, as different sort of things, without contradicting his own criticism of Cultural Relativism? Where specifically in his article does Rachels indicate that he thinks beliefs are OBJECTIVE in nature (i.e. are either true or false, as a matter of fact—see his discussion of beliefs about the shape of the earth?) If values are different from beliefs, and beliefs are objective, then it seems like values are . . . ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 749 • Replies: 1
No top replies

helloeve

Reply Tue 29 Jan, 2013 12:53 am
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE ANSWER MY QUESTIONS YOU WILL BE THE GREATEST HELP.. IM VERY STRESSED.. THANK YOU
0 Replies