Why Do Churches Get Tax Exemption?

RexRed

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2013 02:25 pm
I think churches extort our government into giving them this status. Our government gladly allows them this status in order to keep churches out of politics. Were there no tax exemption for churches they would endorse candidates right from the pulpit. Are churches (as with corporations) people too?

maxdancona

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2013 02:46 pm
@RexRed,
The American people want churches to have tax exemption. If we didn't, then we would elect politicians who would change that. A politician in all but the most extremely left-wing district in the US, who suggested we should tax churches wouldn't get very many vote. But that is how democracy works, politicians defy the will of the majority at a political cost.

Most American voters feel that in general churches benefit us as a society. This is why ending tax exemption for churches has never been seriously considered.
RexRed

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2013 02:58 pm
@maxdancona,
Churches benefit us as a society?

This Week in God
http://maddowblog.msnbc.com/_news/2013/01/26/16712604-this-week-in-god?lite

Excerpt: "St. Thomas More hospital is now facing criticism from the right for maintaining malleable principles."
maxdancona

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2013 04:12 pm
@RexRed,
I specifically didn't give my opinion on whether churches benefit society.

I said-- we give churches tax exemption (in the US) because American voters feel that churches benefit society. In a democracy, it is the opinion of the voters that determines policy, and as long as there is broad agreement among the general public that churches are a good thing for us, we will be given churches tax exempt status.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2013 04:13 pm
Why?

No good reason.
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2013 04:25 pm
because jeezus

maxdancona wrote:

I specifically didn't give my opinion on whether churches benefit society.

I said-- we give churches tax exemption (in the US) because American voters feel that churches benefit society. In a democracy, it is the opinion of the voters that determines policy, and as long as there is broad agreement among the general public that churches are a good thing for us, we will be given churches tax exempt status.

I don't recall voting on that.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2013 04:51 pm
@thack45,
I bet you did vote on that Thack.

Who did you vote for in the last Presidential and Congressional elections? Did any of them support getting rid of tax exemption for churches? You are responsible for the political leaders you put into power.

0 Replies

thack45

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2013 05:07 pm
Ahhh... because nobody was against it, I voted for it. Or I voted for it, but only because I didn't not not vote against it... http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb190/tint45/hmmmmmmm.gif

USA! USA!
maxdancona

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2013 05:13 pm
@thack45,
You seem to have trouble understanding how democracy works. If most people in a democratic society are in favor of a policy, such as letting churches be tax-exempt, then a democratic government will generally accept it.

Tax policy is set by congress which is elected by their constituents (the American people). How else would you want it work?

thack45

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2013 05:27 pm
I was just having fun with that last post. I do have a hard time believing that most people are even cognizant of religious organizations and their tax status on election day. If they were though, I doubt they'd vote nay. The churches'd just pass the buck anyway, right? And I'd be lying if I said I understood how our republic works
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2013 07:53 pm
Tax exempt church status must have been voted in by men before women could vote. I have difficulty imagining woman in general thinking an overtly male chauvinistic book of fables would be beneficial to society.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2013 11:31 pm
@RexRed,
The women could easily change it now that they can vote. That is if they want to....
0 Replies

Val Killmore

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2013 11:38 pm
@RexRed,
To piss off atheists. Ya happy. Man this topic has been done like a thousand times. Go use the search feature in this site to find these repetitive useless questions if you wanna blow off steam on this topic. Or do something useful instead of wasting your time on this redundant topic and start a petition page on the white house site if you want.
thack45

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 12:35 am
It's your internet . We're just living in it.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb190/tint45/jerkit.gif
Val Killmore

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 01:36 am
@thack45,
That's right dirty slovenly jackass, jerk off and cum in your mother's mouth. Word on the street is that she likes male reproductive cells splattered all over from the top of her head all the way down to her chin. Go make your momma happy big boy.
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 08:01 am
You know, the topic of this thread is not nearly as tired as crybabies throwing temper tantrums here. Just thought you'd want to know you've contradicted yourself.
RexRed

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 09:16 am
@Val Killmore,
Good to hear, we got a 100 monkeys (figuratively speaking)? Then, let's change the law and make churches depend on their own gods to extort money from for a change...

I am not against charity, I am against charity with a guilt trip attached to it.
Val Killmore

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 11:57 am
@thack45,
Oh, that is what you call a temper tantrum?
And here I thought I was making use of my magnificent cursing tongue to creatively disparage your sarcasm.
As to regarding the contradiction part, I don't know, I haven't made multiple threads recycling mundane old topics verbatim for the sake of what? I don't know ask people like rexie here for their intentions, valid if any.
0 Replies

Val Killmore

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 11:58 am
@RexRed,
Of course you're not against charities. Who said you were?
What do you think of nonprofit organizations? Do you think they should get tax exemptions?
maxdancona

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 12:13 pm
I guess Atheism is the only religion worthy of tax breaks.