Macs have no games.
Macs have no software.
Macs have no users.
Macs have a lot of nothing.
Har har har... Twisted Evil

2 see MacGameFiles
3. From Linux Journal
Quote:
Put another way, OS X gives us the first popular desktop OS that fits into a prevailing Linux environment and also into the prevailing marketplace. On the bottom, it's UNIX. On the top, it runs Microsoft Office and the whole Adobe suite. This has its appeals.

4. Quantity is no measure of anything.
Quote:
From NYTimes, Nov.26, 1991:
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular, with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans on the other hand, may note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans, and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form

5. You obviously have spent no or little time using OSX because even hardcore Windows devout friends of mine have been very impressed by it.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 07:36 pm
I'm just messing around for a laugh, dagaz. Wink
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 07:47 pm
I don't think there's any argument that the Mac OS family is operationally inferior to the Windows OS family. In fact, in some regards, the Mac family has the advantage; A/V Production and Editing comes to mind immediately. And while pervasiveness is no measure of quality, quantity is a factor which must be taken into account. For example, consider traffic laws; a few folks are perfectly capable of handling a well designed, superbly maintained machine at incredible speeds with the utmost safety and unfailing courtesy. However, niether are the majority of folks behind the wheel capable of doing so, nor are the majority of machines on the road finely designed and superbly maintained. Hence, we have traffic laws. The analogy isn't direct, of course, but illustrative none the less. Preferences and prejudices aside, the Windows family of operating systems is ubiquitous, while the others, Mac, Unix, Linux, Solaris, BeOS, and what have you, are niche products, regardless their relative merits. In response to dagasz, I'd say that no matter how impressive something might be, its market presence is the standard by which ultimately it is measured, and for over the past two decades, the Windows family has become the standard against which all other operating systems are measured. If anybody has earned the right to laugh, itsd Bill Gates. Of course, he's also earned himself the right to be laughed at by a lot of other folks. Sworn at, too. Poor Bill ... one thing he could not do, even if he were to figure out a way to personally spend $1 Million an hour for the rest of his life, is exhaust the fortune he's amassed. Hell, a swing of a few cents one way or the other in the daily closing price of Microsoft stock impacts Bill's net worth to the tune of millions of dollars.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 08:32 pm
Market share is only one way to measure success. An ability to advance technology and benefit an industry is another.

Windows is a marketing coup rather than a technological one. In my opinion, Microsoft has done a lot to hurt the advance of technology. They seem to have the opinion that if it is not theirs they will sabatage it.

I hope and expect that over the next decade, Windows will lose its dominance. And there is a good reason for this. Try as they might, Microsoft has been unable to squash Java. Linux, although still small is making big inroads in the server world, and still gaining in the desktop market.

I have had a strong distaste for Microsoft as a company since the early 80's. They have always had a knack for advancing inferior technology through marketing and business deals.

A joke for the old-timers (anyone else remember this one)....

What is the difference between a DOS machine and a boat anchor?....

The DOS machine has segmented memory.
0 Replies

dagaz

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 08:49 pm
timberlandko wrote:
In response to dagaz, I'd say that no matter how impressive something might be, its market presence is the standard by which ultimately it is measured.

That's fine, but for me the standard by which to judge an OS is how stable, secure, fun and easy to use it is and on all four points OSX wins hands down for me. I am forced to use Windows at work and continually find myself frustrated by it on all four levels.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 09:59 pm
eBrown and dagaz, I think you're both right on a lot of points. For all its ubiquity, the Windows OS family has a history of flubs, blunders, foibles, and just plain incomprehensible stupidities. It is definitely a marketing phenomonon, and gained its position despite its technology. Truth be told, I find it often frustrating, limiting, and counterintuitive, no less so in its current incarnation, just differentlly so. It seems no sooner do I get a Windows OS figured out and wiorking satisfactorily, a new one comes along, with a whole new learning curve and its own unexpected unpleasant surprise revelations, though in fairness, much the same may be said of the others. In the realm of technology, the only constant is change. Maybe Windows dominance is on the wane. I woul;dn't feel bad about that at all. Henry Ford didn't build the best car, he was just better at building and selling them than anyone else for a long time. Competition finally caught up, and driven by competition, cars have gotten better, safer, and more reliable, with an amazing variety of choices all of which pretty much do the job. Maybe the same will happen with computers and operating systems. It probably will. Bear in mind that the computer of today is really still an infant technology. There are amazing things to come, no doubt. I just wish so much patience wasn't required Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies