I use RedHat Professional
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,436 • Replies: 25
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 01:50 pm
I use XP Pro/home, ME, 2000, Linux (several distros) and just about every OS out there.

I prefer XP on PCs and Linux (Rhel) on servers.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 02:02 pm
Win 95 (work, desk)
Win 98 (laptop, work equipment 2X)
Win 2000 (work equipement)
Win XP Home (home)
SCO UNIX (work equipment)

Daddy has a Harbor Seal
It doesn't like a GUI
Why should an OS be so hard
When it sounds like soft and chewy?
0 Replies

MurrayS

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 02:55 pm
I've used them all including most of the Linux distro's.. Right now running XP Pro at home and Win2000 at work.

Murray
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 02:59 pm
XP Pro on this, ME on the other computer here at home.
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 04:01 pm
Windows 2000
(planning to install Linux soon)
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 04:24 pm
I am a Linux zealot. I will let my kids use Windows to play games, but I much prefer Linux for everything else.

At work I develop software on Linux but need to use Mac OSX and Windows to make sure that our software works in this imperfect world.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 09:02 pm
I'm getting more comfortable w/XP Pro ... been playing with it since it was Whistler, and I think I'm beginning to get it figured out ... or at least I'm not intimidated by it. I liked NT and 2K a lot more than 95 or 98, and ME is just a disaster posing as an OS, IMO. Mac OS 7 and up are pretty good, with my nod going to the later releases of OS9, but OS X is finally comming along. The early headache there was incompatible-everything-I-wanted-to-do, but that's less and less a problem. Suze and Redhat Linux distros are OK, too, IMO, but I just play with 'em, don't really use 'em. I can do OK with UNIX, but SPARC I know nothing about. And Longhorn ... well, it has its peculiarities and unique entertainments at the moment, but by the time its released, it should be a damned nice OS. I could tell ya a long, amusing story involving Longhorn and IEEE1394 drivers on certain TI chipsets/controllers, but .... I'm glad enough I finally got it figured out. Its really fun when nobody has a clear idea of what's going on :wink:

Just an aside ... I have several machines of various platforms, and an assortment of operating systems, all pretty much networked (when it works Rolling Eyes ), through a couple different protocols. Sometimes that in itself can provide hours of intense entertainment. I don't allow guns anywhere near computers.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 09:16 pm
But who can help but have affection for DOS 3.0 ... if then else for goto peek poke end ... ahhhh, those were the days :wink: Seriously, M$'s Windows family has a lock on the market ... like it or not, its the 800 pound gorilla. If you're doing development or user support you just about have to work with it or around it. Its there, wherever you go, whatever you do.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 10:27 pm
I use xp pro!
0 Replies

dagaz

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 02:47 am
Mac OSX rocks Very Happy

I first got into Macs back in the early days of System 6 when I was doing my degree (1991). In 2002 I went back to Uni (post-grad) and decided it was time to buy a new computer. For some reason I'd decided I was going to get a Windows computer so I looked around heaps but couldn't make up my mind. I then thought I'd check out the Macs just as a comparison. As soon as I saw and used Mac OSX there was no going back. We are up to Version 10.3.3 now and it just continues to get better - all the power of Unix combined with the ease of use of a mac.

One of the best things about Mac OSX? Its now almost 4 years old and not one single virus, that's right not one. Very Happy
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 03:08 am
Mac OS X. Excellent for music. No virus.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 05:38 am
timberlandko wrote:
But who can help but have affection for DOS 3.0 ... if then else for goto peek poke end ... ahhhh, those were the days :wink: Seriously, M$'s Windows family has a lock on the market ... like it or not, its the 800 pound gorilla. If you're doing development or user support you just about have to work with it or around it. Its there, wherever you go, whatever you do.

You interested in a Trash-80? Got one in the archives...

But, yeah... it's Gates' world. He just rents it out in pieces.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 07:20 am
dagaz wrote:
One of the best things about Mac OSX? Its now almost 4 years old and not one single virus, that's right not one. Very Happy

Macs have no viruses.
Macs have no games.
Macs have no software.
Macs have no users.
Macs have a lot of nothing.
Har har har... Twisted Evil
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 07:21 am
Thanks, SP, but I've got a couple Trash80s taking up shelfspace in the basement already. They're not lonely ... there's a ColorComputer, a Commodore 64, an Apple 2C, an Osborne, and a Lisa keeping them company. I oughtta some day drag 'em out, dust 'em off, and see if they still work. Somehow, I just can't bring myself to get rid of 'em. I understand there's a whole community of afficianados out there for all of 'em.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 07:23 am
"No viruses" is exactly true for OS X.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 07:34 am
Here's one for ya, folks ... anybody ever try "Lindows"? Its sorta a stripped-down Linux, I think, configured to look and act like Windows9X ... I've had no experience with it, other than to have seen it once on what if I recall was a "Complete Computer for less than $300" at Wal Mart. Wonder whatever happened to those?

And then there's BeOS ... never could get that to work for me. I did get to chat with Leo LaPorte about it, though, back in the ZD-TV days.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 07:43 am
timberlandko wrote:
ME is just a disaster posing as an OS, IMO

Well said...it's by far the OS I despise most. It deserves to be smoten with a righteous can of whoopass.

I've heard that some collectors pay decent money for certain old, working CPUs...mebbe those machines of yours will become pretty valuable, Timber. maybe they already are?
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 07:45 am
I've tried Lindows a bit, seemed not too bad, but I'd like to get a copy & fiddle around with it a lot more.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 07:49 am
SealPoet wrote:
timberlandko wrote:

You interested in a Trash-80? Got one in the archives...

But, yeah... it's Gates' world. He just rents it out in pieces.

When I was a teen, a TRS-80 "color computer" entered my life. This was the first time I fell in love.

It had a native BASIC interpreter and wires that you could use to connect to an ordinary cassette tape player to save your programs (disk drives were an expensive extra back then). It also had a place for "game" cartridges and I bought a Assembly language cartridge that let me write pretty fast programs in 6809 assembly.

The two highlights of my adolescents were upgrading to 4K of RAM and buying a 300 baud modem (the kind you set the headset of the phone in after you heard the signal).

But this is where I learned to program and saw that the computer was a creative space where I could do very interesting things. I never looked back.

I still have a very soft spot for the TRS-80.
0 Replies