How can you keep your system virus free?

Sun 20 Jan, 2013 09:57 am
Please help me getting this answer.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 2,230 • Replies: 21
Topic Closed

farmerman

Sun 20 Jan, 2013 11:19 am
@christiecornell,
I am getting it for you from half vast sources.
"Before on keyboard going, always wash hands"
Ragman

Sun 20 Jan, 2013 12:20 pm
@christiecornell,
Ooo ooo, ooo, Mr Kottare! I know,... I know this one.

Install and run virus protection software.
farmerman

Sun 20 Jan, 2013 12:37 pm
@Ragman,
but always wash hands first
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Sun 20 Jan, 2013 06:58 pm
Buy a Mac- (I just couldn't resist)
0 Replies

BillRM

Sun 20 Jan, 2013 07:20 pm
@christiecornell,
Keep system updated, do not have java on your system and if you do disable it from working with your browser at least.

Look into running your browser in a sandbox if possible such as sandboxie.

An of course run an anti-virus program.
0 Replies

khoffee38

Sun 20 Jan, 2013 08:50 pm
@christiecornell,
One of the best programs I've tried is Advast.. you can go to Cnet and download it for free and after the trial ends, order it for another year. I haven't had any problems for over 3 years
0 Replies

DuncanJones

Mon 21 Jan, 2013 03:38 am
Hello all,

You've got the chills, your stomach is rolling, your throat is sore and now your fever is soaring. Yep, you caught a virus, and if you're not very careful, you'll spread it to everyone you see. Who's responsible for you feeling so lousy? Just about anyone with whom you might have crossed paths.

We all have battled such nasty flu bugs, but our computers have it even worse: they are susceptible to viruses year-round. There is a reason tech-types named those nasty bits of code that wreak havoc on your computer "viruses." After all, like the dreaded biological viruses, they are highly contagious, hard to get rid of and often find their way into systems through otherwise innocent means.

Thanks
Duncan Jones
Ragman

Mon 21 Jan, 2013 04:11 am
@DuncanJones,
Psstt..Duncan..even though your a dummy spam bot..you should know this much...this is about a computer virus!
Stephenbolt

Mon 21 Jan, 2013 07:13 am
@christiecornell,
I have installed a latest antivirus.
I did not open unethical site on internet.
I always scan removable disk before getting connected.
I have also blocked popup to prevent my system from unwanted virus attack.
farmerman

Mon 21 Jan, 2013 12:24 pm
@Ragman,
you can confuse bots by slightly altering contextul ****. "Washing hands" has him responding in kind.
0 Replies

farmerman

Mon 21 Jan, 2013 12:25 pm
@Stephenbolt,
Yes but did you wash your hands an soak em with Purell??
0 Replies

TonyMccallum

Mon 21 Jan, 2013 10:06 pm
@christiecornell,
Hello Members,

Many people use their computers for months or years without ever knowing it's infected with a virus. An infected computer runs slowly and and the overall user experience can be frustrating. Luckily, you can keep your computer virus free if you practice vigilance.

1. Install an antivirus software as soon as you get the computer. If you purchase a used computer with an existing Windows installation, start by reinstalling Windows. A clean computer and a good antivirus program can keep your computer virus free.
2. Run antivirus updates and scans at least weekly. These won't prevent any virus infections, but it will alert you if there is a problem. Early intervention is key to cleaning a virus infection effectively.
3. Enable real-time protection. The real-time protection feature of your antivirus software will scan files as they download. This protection can slow your computer's performance, but it detects any infected files before they can infect your computer.
4. Keep Windows updated. On Windows XP or Vista, enable automatic updates. On all other versions, run Windows Update weekly. A virus spreads by exploiting an error in software. By fixing those errors, you can close any holes the virus might use to infect your computer.
5. Keep other programs updated, as they can have the same problems as Windows. Periodically check for updates to the programs you use most often, especially if those programs don't have automatic update features.
6. Use webmail instead of downloading your email. One of the most common ways a virus can spread is by email, so one of the largest benefits of using a webmail service is isolation from the actual email files. Online webmail services often have additional virus and spam protection.
7. Run only known files. Files from people you don't know or unexpected files from someone you do know shouldn't be run or opened. Ask the sender what the file is. If the sender says he didn't send it, his computer is probably infected with a virus which sent the file to you.

Best Regards,
Tony Mccallum
0 Replies

Lunda

Tue 22 Jan, 2013 02:19 am
@christiecornell,
Anti Virus are the best protection from Anti Virus. I want suggest you some best Anti Virus for protection of your computer.
Comodo Internet Security Plus 2013.
Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2013.
Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2013.
Avira Antivirus Premiums 2013.
Norton Antivirus 2013.
F-Secure Antivirus 2013.
AVG Antivirus 2013.
G Data Antivirus 2013.
Webroot Secure Anywhere Antivirus 2013.
Avast ! Pro Antivirus 7.
0 Replies

yogeshinteractive

Wed 23 Jan, 2013 01:02 am
If your system is infected with a virus, installed instantly good antivirus software,always away from downloading unsure attachments,from sharing data CDs,check any CD or pendrive before use and also scan file.

0 Replies

TonyStevenson

Thu 24 Jan, 2013 01:38 am
@christiecornell,
Hello everyone,

Viruses can attach themselves to files that you download off the Internet, so make sure you know what you're downloading, and whether it's from a reputable and trustworthy website. Also, make sure you know where a floppy disk has been before you insert it into your own floppy drive, and make sure you trust whoever is sending you e-mail and attachments. Speaking of e-mail, it can be a computer infection waiting to happen. Try to avoid opening attachments that end with .exe, .com, .vbt extensions, and always watch out for the subject headers. Be prudent if you don't recognize the sender, and even if you do recognize the sender, since they may not know that they sent you the e-mail. If you are unsure, you can always ask the sender to find out whether they intended to send you the e-mail you received.

Best Regards,
Tony Stevenson
Ragman

Thu 24 Jan, 2013 06:32 am
@TonyStevenson,
Floppy disk?

Also make sure you've buttoned your high button shoes, too.
Ticomaya

Thu 24 Jan, 2013 08:12 am
@Ragman,
You should always know where your floppy has been before you insert it into a drive. Advice to live by, RM.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Thu 24 Jan, 2013 08:33 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

Floppy disk?

Also make sure you've buttoned your high button shoes, too.

What we have there in that poster is a sentimental retroloving hipster spambot. The writer of that spambot must long to live in Williamsburg. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

sdoust

Fri 25 Jan, 2013 12:02 pm
@farmerman,
Installing the latest anti-virus. e.g: AVG or ESET are most common ones!
0 Replies