Obama's Dream: Have Wal-Mart Help Him Ban Guns

roger

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 12:02 pm
WalMart will probably conclude the the gun show market is not the WalMart market.
oralloy

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 12:21 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:
WalMart will probably conclude the the gun show market is not the WalMart market.

If Wal-Mart decides to side with Obama against America's gun owners, they'll ultimately conclude that they need to get out of the gun-selling business completely, because they won't be selling very many guns after the boycott starts.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 12:27 pm
@oralloy,
and other parts of their business could benefit

they might also be able to open stores in locations where they had been previously prevented from opening by neighbourhood political action

it'd probably be an overall wash for Walmart
oralloy

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 12:39 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
and other parts of their business could benefit

they might also be able to open stores in locations where they had been previously prevented from opening by neighbourhood political action

it'd probably be an overall wash for Walmart

No, Wal-Mart make good money selling guns. And being forced from the market would cost them that good money (which would then be earned by other sellers who hadn't been forced out of the market). Wal-Mart wouldn't make it up some other way. They'd just lose out.

I doubt it would drive them into bankruptcy. But it would certainly cost them.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 12:43 pm
@oralloy,
You're not taking into account the stores they'd be able to open if they didn't sell guns. It's a more significant part of the North American retail market than you may have considered.

More stores in more locations could benefit Walmart.

They could lose some downmarket business and pick up some higher-end neighbourhoods.

Not that I care. I try to avoid mass retailers in any case.

It's interesting, in theory, from a marketing perspective.
oralloy

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 01:08 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
You're not taking into account the stores they'd be able to open if they didn't sell guns.

I'm guessing that would be about zero stores.

I'm not aware of any Wal-Marts being blocked because they sell guns (which are legal to sell nationwide).

This is all the same sort of stuff that was once said about Smith & Wesson:

"Our boycott will never hurt them. They will compensate by getting increased sales from people who support their position."

Turns out that by the end of the boycott, the group that had once paid $112 million to buy Smith & Wesson, was forced to sell them off for a mere $45 million.
oralloy

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 01:16 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
This is all the same sort of stuff that was once said about Smith & Wesson:

"Our boycott will never hurt them. They will compensate by getting increased sales from people who support their position."

Turns out that by the end of the boycott, the group that had once paid $112 million to buy Smith & Wesson, was forced to sell them off for a mere $45 million.

Think of it this way: The gun industry does not make money by selling to people who favor gun bans.

Any gun sellers who betray the gun buyers, in order to please people who don't buy guns, is going to soon be out of the gun-selling business.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 01:54 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

ehBeth wrote:
You're not taking into account the stores they'd be able to open if they didn't sell guns.

I'm not aware of any Wal-Marts being blocked because they sell guns (which are legal to sell nationwide).

quite a few cities have had community action groups which have blocked Walmart from building for a number of reasons - in some cases, those reasons have included gun distribution

urban and suburban retail markets may open to Walmart if they no longer distribute guns

it will be part of what they factor into their decision-making process

much like their decision-making process when they left their "Made in America" marketing strategy. They didn't go out of business when they stopped selling only "Made in America" products. They knew they'd keep their primary customer base.
H2O MAN

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 01:59 pm
@ehBeth,
Don't you think it would be better just to ban mass murder?
ehBeth

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 01:59 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
Any gun sellers who betray the gun buyers, in order to please people who don't buy guns, is going to soon be out of the gun-selling business.

that's not necessarily a problem for companies like Walmart - gun-selling isn't all they do. They're mass market retailers, not gun manufacturers.

Their business is retail, not guns.

They'll keep their eye on the prize - market share.

If they determine that they'll lose too much market share, they'll stick with gun sales. If they determine they'll gain market share, they'll drop it.

It's not like they're selling guns based on any great moral stance.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 02:00 pm
@H2O MAN,
I don't think Americans, as a group, are interested in preventing mass murder.
H2O MAN

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 02:07 pm
@ehBeth,

Liberal, democrat Americans seem to feed off mass murder.
It appears to be in their best interest that these events continue to happen.

If Obama decided to ban all mass murder, would you support him?
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 05:33 pm
Would you support an NRA boycott of Wal-mart if the company appears to be caving in to Obama?
H2O MAN

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 05:44 pm
@realjohnboy,

I have purchased many quality firearms and Wally World never made my list of potential vendors.

I would boycott if it would help defeat Obama's master plan for this country and her citizens.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 08:07 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
oralloy wrote:
ehBeth wrote:

quite a few cities have had community action groups which have blocked Walmart from building for a number of reasons - in some cases, those reasons have included gun distribution

urban and suburban retail markets may open to Walmart if they no longer distribute guns

If so, it won't be very many of them. Not nearly enough to offset the loss of gun sales.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 08:08 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
oralloy wrote:

that's not necessarily a problem for companies like Walmart - gun-selling isn't all they do. They're mass market retailers, not gun manufacturers.

Their business is retail, not guns.

True. They'd still survive without selling guns.

ehBeth wrote:
They'll keep their eye on the prize - market share.

If they determine that they'll lose too much market share, they'll stick with gun sales. If they determine they'll gain market share, they'll drop it.

It's not like they're selling guns based on any great moral stance.

They would lose market share, not gain it.

Whether they would lose "too much" market share, I guess depends on how much is too much.

They would certainly survive without selling guns. But they would also be able to measure a decrease in their profits.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 08:09 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:
Would you support an NRA boycott of Wal-mart if the company appears to be caving in to Obama?

Happily.

The boycott would likely not be organized by the NRA though.

The media likes to focus on the NRA, but they are just one cog in a vast civil rights apparatus.

They aren't even the only group that leans on Congress. That role is split between two main groups: The NRA are the moderates who always compromise (and who achieve more because of their pragmatism). And the GOA are the hardliners who never bend and always defend the Constitution to the bitter end.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 10:08 pm
The best part of this is the hysterical response of the gun nuts

WALMART IS HELPING OBAMA BAN GUNS. YOU NEED TO BOYCOTT THEM.

TARGET IS HELPING OBAMA BAN GUNS. YOU NEED TO BOYCOTT THEM.

WALGREENS IS HELPING OBAMA BAN GUNS. YOU NEED TO BOYCOTT THEM.
H2O MAN

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2013 08:08 am
@parados,
parados wrote:

The best part of this is the hysterical response of the anti-gun, anti freedom nuts

Fixed it 4 you
H2O MAN

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2013 08:10 am

Speaking of anti-gun & anti-freedom nuts

http://a57.foxnews.com/www.foxnews.com/images/root_images/0/0/1813_obama_20130108_081358.jpg

White House ramps up talks on gun control measures
0 Replies