could you pls tell me the differance....?

youdruk

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2013 09:37 am
i can't differentciate the meaning of this.....anyone please help me....
"its nice to be sitting here with you "
"Its nice to sit here with you"
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 591 • Replies: 9
No top replies

DavJohanis

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2013 09:50 am
@youdruk,
It depends, answers will vary. However, there are those who see the state of to 'be' as important. Primarily because they deal in states of being and are sensitive to how to 'be' and what they are comfortable to 'be'. Some go through their lives in general lack of concern with the whole idea and are simply 'doing'.

It is nice to sit with you or it is nice to 'be' sat with you. Ultimately both use both terms commonly, slight difference. To to sit with someone is to simply sit with them, but to focus on sitting, implies that is a nice part too.

Perhaps check the spelling of the words in your title, you can drop them in the main section and see with the red line, but I do not personally worry if you do not and will not point this out again, because I really am irritated by people bothering others about it constantly. (if the red line is not showing, mouse click around a bit on words and it sometimes pops up, but you will then get American suggestions often)

Regards

Dav.
fresco

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2013 09:52 am
@youdruk,
No significant difference. The first one could suggest you are not yet sitting "here" although you have done previously, but that possible shift is a result of the contrastive scenario you have artificially set up rather than a substantive semantic one.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2013 09:54 am
@DavJohanis,
NB
Quote:
to be sat with you.
is not grammatical in standard English usage.
DavJohanis

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2013 09:56 am
@fresco,
What does NB mean? ..Please.

I am suggesting there is a reason for it, not that it is in any book you read.

Regards
Dav.
fresco

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2013 09:58 am
@DavJohanis,
Nota Bene =Note well/Take notice

(When advising a non-native speaker it is normal to stick to traditional grammar)
contrex

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2013 10:10 am
Heads up: DavJohanis is a troll.
0 Replies

DavJohanis

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2013 10:14 am
@fresco,
I do see your point.

I also see a dumbing down and that is my choice to discern.
Thank you for the explanation of the term though.
0 Replies

youdruk

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 10:39 pm
@DavJohanis,
i didn't understand of your RED LINE instruction...it would be so sweet of you if you clarify this meaning....
roger

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 10:43 pm
@youdruk,
I also do not understand the red line thing. I am not sure the user does, either.
0 Replies