Top universities want you to homeschool

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2013 09:14 am
http://homeschooling.penelopetrunk.com/2012/04/27/top-universities-want-you-to-homeschool/

Quote:

It's not that top universities are telling people directly to homeschool their kids. Instead, top schools are using a selection process that gives homeschooled kids a huge advantage. Here's why: .....

Doesn't sound like much of an endorsement for the national government school system.....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,701 • Replies: 5
No top replies

DavJohanis

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2013 09:18 am
@gungasnake,
Pre 'dismissal' without meaning it?
How the fark is that a virtue?

But I suppose there are advantages to diverse learning in a world where one set of teachers can mark you one grade and another another.. Also if you do not learn proper 'English' you can still actually comprehend it entirely and produce arguments on the day it matters.

It is just there is never any opportunity to require it, 7 billion people started a week before you.

Rip it up!
Skools out!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2013 09:41 am
@gungasnake,
I agree with some of what she says but she really lost me here:

Quote:
So the only colleges that are really worth a student's time and money are colleges that don't value time spent in school.

I think just about any school -- from the top 10 to community college -- can be with the student's time and money if they're pursuing something that interests them.
DrewDad

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2013 09:48 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

I agree with some of what she says but she really lost me here:

Quote:
So the only colleges that are really worth a student's time and money are colleges that don't value time spent in school.

Yeah, that seems like quite a jump. She jumps from "you gotta have grades and a passion" to "just have a passion" based on one anecdote about someone getting into college with a GED.

Kinda like saying, "Michael Dell dropped out of college, so you don't need a college degree."
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2013 10:00 am
@boomerang,
Granted my own experience with schools is dated... What I get from reading is that you have a totally regimented system in public schools these days which is driven by standardized tests more than anything else, and it sounds like colleges are increasingly less willing to rely on that system for determining who gets in and who might add anything to the college.
boomerang

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2013 10:51 am
@gungasnake,
I think you're right. Test scores count for a lot -- from school funding to real estate values in a neighborhood. Colleges are becoming more flexible with admissions but I don't think they've learned how to measure passion so they really have to rely on test scores in determining who will be a successful student.

0 Replies