What is the name of that website where I can get free money for your business startup?

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 08:43 am
I remember hearing about a website in which wealthy people browse the posted business plans of various entrepreneurs, and, if those wealthy people choose, contribute startup cash to any of these ideas.
The website I remember hearing about involved the donation of cash by these wealthy people without commitment or expectation of cash return on their investment, donations simply motivated by the merit of the ideas.

Anybody know?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 982 • Replies: 7
No top replies

jespah

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 09:25 am
@investor,
It's likely not "free money". Wealthy folks like to see returns on their investments, and they enjoy getting something for their bucks. Most likely, these would be venture capitalists buying a nice, big, fat chunk of your profits in exchange for seed money.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 10:14 am
@investor,
Is there perhaps a financial version of Kickstarter?
investor

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 10:19 am
@ehBeth,
Kickstarter is the one. Thanks.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 10:29 am
@investor,
I'm glad that helped.

I think there are some threads here about Kickstarter.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 10:31 am
@investor,
investor wrote:

Kickstarter is the one. Thanks.

Then your understanding of kickstarter is almost completely OFF THE MARK.
investor wrote:

I remember hearing about a website in which wealthy people browse the posted business plans of various entrepreneurs, and, if those wealthy people choose, contribute startup cash to any of these ideas.
The website I remember hearing about involved the donation of cash by these wealthy people without commitment or expectation of cash return on their investment, donations simply motivated by the merit of the ideas.

Anybody know?

One: It's actually not an investment site. At least not in a traditional sense.
Two: It's not a investment site aimed at WEALTHY persons. It's actually marketed to regular people who want to fund budding entrepreneurs as well as self-publishing artists, writers, and self-producing filmmakers.
Three: If the project needs $50,000 raised in two months yet fails to raise that amount in that time then the money already pledged by the person's pledging that money don't even get charged for their pledge. They don't lose any money at all.
Four: For the most part, if the project gets 100+% of the funding then most of the people pledging into the fund actually pledge at a certain level where they actually end up buying a product produced by the project funding. Ex.: Pledging at the $25 level gets the person a single copy of the movie produced with the funds. Pledging at the $50 gets the person a single copy of the movie and a poster of said movie. Pledging $1000 gets the person all of the above and a producers credit. Etc....

Most kickstarter options are really cheap entry points and thusly are not aimed at millionaires and billionaires who if they really wanted to invest in a particular project of these small sizes could do so in a single bidding.
investor

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 10:33 am
@ehBeth,
Looks like kickstarter can't be used for starting a business though. Someone should start a kickstarter for business ventures. Ah well.
0 Replies

investor

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 10:34 am
@tsarstepan,
Yeah. The conversation I had about the website involved some misinformation. The website cannot be used for starting businesses.
0 Replies