I bought this steering wheel cover. . . .

roger

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 04:19 pm
@George,
It said VELOR on the label. Right next to the $2.00 price tag. So there.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 04:19 pm
@roger,
seriously - cotton gardening gloves with the little rubber nubs - they work

or seriously get serious and buy driving gloves - they work (but cost about 50x what gardening gloves do)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 04:25 pm
@Butrflynet,
I haven't seen a double sided tape yet that looks comfortable, but good idea. I may combine it with Bennet's ideas on tennis grip or baseball grip wraps. It wouldn't have to really stick to the wheel; just to itself, if I used spaced wraps as you suggest.

Thanks to everyone that got me started thinking in new directions. I know a two dollar cover isn't a big deal, but a good result would be worth much more.
Mame

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 04:36 pm
@roger,
What about electrical tape or painters tape wound around the wheel every few inches? Painters tape is cheap and easier to remove than electrical tape. Surely you can find some nice black tape somewhere.

By the way, what are you wearing on your feet when driving? High heeled feathery mules? Niiice.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 04:43 pm
@roger,
Simply winding twine around the wheel several times and tying an appropriate knot may obtain you a grip. You probably bought an inferior wheelcover, or perhaps your steering wheel is unusually small and you need to check out the auto dealership for a remedy.

When I first landed in Albuquerque, I ran across sheepskin wheel covers at some place over on San Mateo. I don't know if it is still in business.
Hope this helps, and that you cooperate.
0 Replies

George

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 04:45 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:
It said VELOR on the label. Right next to the $2.00 price tag. So there.
Is this it? You can get matching seat covers, you know.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21Q-OT2JtGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
roger

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 06:00 pm
@Mame,
The black electrical tape known as friction tape transfers black sticky stuff to your hands. The plastic electrical tape is slick.

I never heard of painters tape, unless you mean masking tape, and shirley you don't.

Silicone repair tape crossed my mind briefly, but custom made leather might be cheaper.
roger

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 06:00 pm
@George,
George, thanks for your input.
2PacksAday

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 06:21 pm
@roger,
I always use white tape, surgical tape, for this sort of thing, but since you live in the dessert....most guys I know while sheet-rockin will tape up the thumb and index finger....to get a better grip on the screw/not get poked quite so much by the very sharp drywall screws/keep the burs from off the screws out of the fingers.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 06:28 pm
@George,
George wrote:
Is this it? You can get matching seat covers, you know.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21Q-OT2JtGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

hehehehe

I've got that set! (never used it in the current car though - leopard doesn't go with periwinkle)
ossobuco

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 07:36 pm
@ehBeth,
I think Roger is off line now, he called from his cell, phone and computer out, a while ago, rain happening. May the outage be short.

When I first moved here I did buy some damned thing to protect my fingers and palms from the malevolent steering wheel in the summer, purchased likely for lowish money at Auto Zone. It expanded in the heat. Other items in the car melted off, such as the rug material covering the back door lower section, and the rug stuff under the dash. Nothin' like a little heat.

Back in more temperate coastal california, I used a leather steering wheel cover - that worked there.

On art tape, there is a white one, expensive stuff.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 08:24 pm
@roger,
Roger, when you are here in ABQ tomorrow, go to the Autozone store on Atrisco between Ouray and Redlands. It is about a mile from Osso's house. According to their website, they have steering wheel covers for as little as $9. Much cheaper than having your hands slip off the wheel when you need to avoid a kid or dog You'll spend just as much on tape and other repair attempts to make the $2 cover work.

ossobuco

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 08:35 pm
@Butrflynet,
He might not see this (dunno re the power outage) but I'll natter at him.. if he does make the drive. There's a chance of snow which makes the drive dicy.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 11:33 pm
@roger,
Just looked at Target website. They've got a couple that looked like the one I have and like a lot. Some are bil;ed as "ultra-soft with memory foam", which I would suspect gives you a grip because you're gonna depress the area you're gripping, so your fingers will be in a little valley caused by the pressure, so wouldn't slip. in theory, at least. There's another that's billed as "contour grip", which I would think might also be non-slippery. I've had three or four over the years, and they ALWAYS seemed like they were too small to go on, and I really had to pull and stretch them to get them on, and there was absolutely no movement after they were on. Is your steering wheel a non-usual size? Any sort of average wheel cover has always been really tight. On the other hand, Family Dollar has never impressed me with their prices or their merchandise. Rather than spending money on remedies that might or might not work, I think you should just leave the velour one on some other car's hood for them to try and get disgusted at, and get yourself a different one.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 11:56 pm
@djjd62,
This would only work if Roger hasn't made a pledge to Grover Norquist.
roger

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 12:21 am
@MontereyJack,
<sigh> You're probably right. I just don't like spending the money when the last one was a scosh too big. I recall it also came from target.

Osso, the service has been restored, but probably only temporary relief.
roger

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 12:23 am
@maxdancona,
I'm not in politics and don't feel obliged to make pledges.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 01:08 am
@roger,
Roger, drive it to the nearest Autozone store. Tell them the make and model year of your car, ask them to install it for you (for free) and you'll be assured it is the right one.

I did that for replacement wipers for my car and had no problems.
MontereyJack

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 02:32 am
@roger,
Autozone's seem to run between $10 and $15 for the most part. They seem to run heavily to logo ones, Dodge or some Alabama college or skulls?? But there are also relatively plain ones. They have pseudo-ostrich one for $10 "for that exotic look" they say. And a leather one or a Bell "putty grip" one for $15 (your guess is as good as mine as to what putty grip means but it sounds very un-too-slick)
MontereyJack

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 02:34 am
@roger,
They mostly seem to say fits any wheel between 14.5 and 15.5 inches in diameter. In the morning why don't you measure your wheel and see if it fits between those two dimensions.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 11:55:32