How to be sure your Canon is off

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2012 01:49 pm
After a monumental discovery the following email to my excellent No. 1 Son who also owns one:

Oh hey No. 1, you remember how we both thought our Canon A560's ran the battery down even when off, apparently that isn't the case. When the lens is withdrawn we had assumed the camera is off but that's not always so. But then how does one know.......

Canon presently has had a battery of 34 engineers (pun unintended) working 16 hours a day since we first noticed the problem, to determine under what conditions the power is on--depending on 16,442 combinations and permutations of control settings (by actual calculation) and how the user would know.

There's a light on the front that sometimes tells you it's on but not always. It depends on the day of the week, the month (I think in September it won't come on between the 2d and 11th of the month) and how you hold your mouth when you last snapped the shutter. I have been experimenting and if they don't come up with the answer, I think I'll be able to supply it in 3 or 4 years of diligent trial-and-rerror

Meanwhile though after my monumental discovery I've experienced renewed interest in my Canon, as when the batteries are up it takes the most marvelous photos, as above; so no, please no cameras for Xmas
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,550 • Replies: 3
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2012 03:28 pm
@dalehileman,
Ive got Canons and I make sure the switch is to "OFF" every time Im done taking pictures. I keep a spare battery pack in the camera bag and its usually in the car socket charging.

There is a small amount of "trickle loss" in most all cameras, especially those with motors.
dalehileman

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2012 04:24 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
I make sure the switch is to "OFF" every time Im done taking pictures.
Thanks Farm but the A560 doesn't have an "on-off" toggle. Of course there's a pushbutton but that's of no help at all

Quote:
I keep a spare battery pack in the camera bag and its usually in the car socket charging.
Yes, very wise. In fact just recently began using rechargeables, much to my satisfaction and financial relief

Quote:
There is a small amount of "trickle loss" in most all cameras, especially those with motors.
I had often wondered about that. Do you think it might discharge 'em over a period of a few months

When you get to be an old fart that seems like just a few minutes

Thank you Man once more
dalehileman

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 05:19 pm
@dalehileman,
Among 100,000 participants, pray, am I the only Canon A560 owner
0 Replies