1. Based on his skill in basketball, it was computed that when Joe threw a free throw, the odds in favor of his making it were 4 to 28 find the probability that when Joe shot a free throw he made it. Out of every 100 free throws he attempted on the average how many did he miss.
Out of 32, he makes 4 and misses 28. The rest is trivial.
2. From 9 names on a ballot, a committee of 5 will be elected to attend a political national convention. How many committees are possible.
Have you been introduced to combinations?
3. You are dealt one card from a 52- card deck. Find the probability that you are dealt a numbered card or a spade.
How many numbered cards are there? How many spades are there? How many have you counted twice?
4.A set of data items is normally distributed with a mean of 500. Find the data item in this distribution that corresponds to the given z-score.
z=1.5 if the standard deviation is 50
5. A teacher and 12 students are to be seated along a bench in the bleachers. In how many ways can this be done if the teacher must be seated in the middle and the one difficult student in the class must sit to the teachers immediate left?
With two positions fixed, how many are are filled via permutations?
6. An ice chest contains 4 cans of apple juice, 3 cans of grape juice, 9 cans of orange juice and 2 cans of pineapple juice. Suppose that you reach into the container and randomly select three cans in succession. Find the probability of selecting no grape juice.
How many ways can you select three non-grape cans? How many ways can you select three cans of any type?
What's the probability that the first can is non-grape? With one fewer non-grape, what's the probability that the second can is non-grape? With two fewer non-grape, what's the probability that the third can is non-grape? Now, should you add or multiply these?
7. In a contest in which 10 contestants are entered, in how many ways can 4 distinct prizes be awarded.
How many ways can the first prize be awarded to 10 contestants? How many ways can the second prize be awarded to the remaining 9 contestants? And so forth.
8.You are dealt 6 cards from a shuffled deck of 52. find the probability of getting 3 jacks and 3 aces.
How many ways can 6 cards be comprised of 3 jacks and 3 aces? How many ways can you deal 6 cards?