shogg0th

Mon 10 Dec, 2012 06:26 pm
Scotch > Whiskey > Rye > Bourbon

Therefore, rye² + Bourbon = Whiskey * Scotch - (2Bourbon + Rye * Whiskey) .

(hic)
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Mon 10 Dec, 2012 06:50 pm
@izzythepush,
Checked out the site, excellent. TY. I've never seen 20cl, nor 35cl bottles, they are cute.

Since it is the holiday season, everyone has their holiday box sets out, I like to look at those, very pleasing to the eye....was in Sam's Club today, the Crown Royal black label is really nice looking.....saw a single malt that I had never heard of , forgot to write it down.

Honestly I don't drink very often, but this year has been a doozy, and a slug or two probably won't kill me.
izzythepush

Mon 10 Dec, 2012 07:51 pm
@2PacksAday,
I'm not the best person to talk about whisky. My father loves a single malt so I use that site to get him his main Christmas present.

As for me, I got hideously drunk on whisky when I was 17, and I've not been able to touch it since. My favourite tipple is Calvados, but I do like a lot of others, especially eau de vie.
ossobuco

Tue 11 Dec, 2012 06:27 pm
@izzythepush,
We connect on liking calvados, now out of my reach.
shogg0th

Tue 11 Dec, 2012 06:56 pm
You said you didn't like Canadian Whiskey, but now its Crown Royal? No no no no no no no no
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Tue 11 Dec, 2012 08:01 pm
I used to drink Crown when I was quite younger, not that I'm very old now...but...when I was 18-19. By the time I was 20, it was rare for me to drink anything. My wife bought {her mom had to buy it} a bottle of crown for my 21st birthday in Sep of 91....Crown is a 10 yr, so it was distilled in 1981 making it 31 yrs old this year.

A week or so ago, I was drinking shots of brandy to ease a stupid head cold, works well, not much different than Niquil. Anyway, I ran out...the last of everything, so I got to thinking about that bottle of crown. Got it when I was 21, and now I'm 42, so I've had it for 21 yrs....21+21 = 42.....figured it was time to drink it. At this point in my life I really don't know what tomorrow will bring, if it comes at all....I've softened a bit on the whole "live for today" thing.

I talked myself out of opening the bottle, and ended up buying a bottle of Cognac a few nights ago...not for me, says the Scotsman...patooey! I'll drink it anyway, but I promise I won't enjoy it. To make a long story short, I ended up checking the bottle for some reason....it's been nestled away in it's little purple suit, in the same drawer of my dresser since the day I brought it home. Except for last year when we moved, I did not put it back in the drawer, and for some reason it was placed on top of the kitchen cabinets, the only people that can reach that high are myself and my son in law.

I pulled it out of the bag to find that it had been opened, and about 1/4 of it gone. I cannot describe how I felt, or still feel....this was something that I was saving for what I don't know....I honestly think that it was more about clinging to something that was from early on in our marriage, when we were still young kids....I don't think it matters that it was a bottle of spirits....it could have been a pack of socks and it would still mean the same....eh bad analogy, but you get what I mean.

I'm sure this summer while I was gone for nearly a month, my sister in law tapped into my bottle....the seal was still on it, jeez....she was kind of watching the house for us....she's an idiot. I hope she fell off the chair or ladder while she was getting it down...bimbo. Oh well, I plan to beat her with the empty bottle next time I see her...crack whore.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Ahem,

The 31 yr old crown, is as stout as a sum-bitch, I like it. It has a unique smell, seems to smell a lot sweeter than a normal bottle, and it's quite harsh....considering that Crown is generally a pretty smooth whisky, I would have to say, it's very harsh.
roger

Tue 11 Dec, 2012 08:20 pm
@2PacksAday,
Everything I've ever heard indicates the stuff quits aging once it's out of the barrel and into the bottle. It doesn't get better after that, but it may change.

That's just stuff I've heard.
2PacksAday

Tue 11 Dec, 2012 08:39 pm
@roger,
I believe you are correct....aging is all about expansion and contraction...etc. once it's sealed in glass....

It's not better by any means. Moonshine is smoother, this is about as stout as drinking turpentine....guessing of course.

I never was trying to age it, it just happened that way.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Wed 12 Dec, 2012 02:41 am
@ossobuco,
It's cheaper over here, especially if you buy it in Aldi at £14 a bottle.
Walter Hinteler

Wed 12 Dec, 2012 03:05 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

It's cheaper over here, especially if you buy it in Aldi at £14 a bottle.
Fine Calvados V.S.O.P 9.99 € here.
izzythepush

Wed 12 Dec, 2012 05:06 am
@Walter Hinteler,
It's prices like that that keep the ferries in business during winter.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Wed 12 Dec, 2012 06:36 pm
To me, people who like crown royal have never tried anything else.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Wed 12 Dec, 2012 06:39 pm
So, how many of you who don't like scotch have ever tried single malt scotches?
I will listen if you tell me you've tasted the best.

From what I see, the people who naysay only taste grocery store scotch or bourbon - which I understand, as I am money challenged - but they don't have a clue.
Hulk

Wed 12 Dec, 2012 06:55 pm
@ossobuco,
I know what you mean. I rarely drink, and only drink on special occasions. My favorite drink is the Talisker 18yo, instantly became one of my favorite alcohol drinks when I was first introduced to it by a friend. Warm smell, and the the feel of it in your mouth is very good. I'm opening one for this Christmas.
0 Replies