Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2012 10:17 am
I love em. I have a small collection of Mont Blancs, porsche Conklin , Parkr and classic Parker Pens. I use em every day. I especially like the fine metal nibs and how they flow so smoothly over paper.
I also use Dragon speech , but I love fountain pens.
Anyone else?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 1,617 • Replies: 7
No top replies

RST

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2012 10:29 am
@farmerman,
I own a few Danitrios, namikis, and a yard o led viceroy grand victorian. The latter one is my favorite to write in cursive: compliments the very smooth and rolling motion of the hand; although it was a bit on the expensive side compared to the others, the aesthetic and feel of it is well worth it.
I shouldn't talk about penmanship as it is dying here, seeing that they're not teaching cursive in most schools. Preposterous, really!
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2012 10:56 am
@farmerman,
With my interest in photography (classic or antique cameras) pre-empted my collecting fountain pens. Budget issues prevented it but if I had the cash, I'd be right there with it.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2012 11:02 am
@farmerman,
I used to like them, but the nibs had a tendency to dry up just when you needed them most. I never thought about collecting them.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2012 12:31 pm
I'm very pleased with the Monteverde I recently bought to replace a couple of Auroras that broke on me (good pens, but I don't think I'll be buying any more in the future). Usually order them from this place.
farmerman

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2012 01:36 pm
@joefromchicago,
I get the Fountain Pen Hospital catalog also.
Im looking for a PArker T1 titanium pen. I had one when I was kid and it was great for sketching. I lost it when I was in Nigeria and I aint going back to that country ever again.

I was doing some caricatures with one of my broad nibbed pens filled with pelikan drafting ink (like Leroy inks). All I have to remember is NEVER let the ink in the pen for moe than a day without using it.

I recall why I like fountain pens, in structural geology and economic geo I, we were always required to drft our own maps and it was during the end times of drafting by hnd
ossobuco

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2012 03:26 pm
@farmerman,
I've done an immense amount of hand drafting but either used pencils or rapidographs (early on) and later, some new sized pens, preferred rapidographs - but mostly mechanical pencils - which I do very much still like. I bought one terrifc mech pencil I craved for myself and gave it to a relative for a c'mas present. Should have kept it.

Anyway, I also like ink pens. Still have the Mont Blanc I sat on at a conference (long story), in case one day I send it to MB and they'll fix it for me (replace casing the gold parts are still fine; at least they used to fix them). Have a tiny pen of my mother's, circa the 1910's. Eventually tossed my father's Parker, what a leaker, but handsome looking pen. I suppose I should have kept that too. So, no, I don't collect them, but I like them a lot.
farmerman

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2012 01:04 pm
@ossobuco,
Found a Parker T-1 titanium pen at an antique store. Im gonna send it up to the Fountain Pen Hospital in NYC and I hope they can fix it. Im gonna send it to a very good client of mine who is an exec in a metals company in Asia.
0 Replies