Static-electricity : Flow of charge

palatok

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2012 01:37 am
i've read the theory of static electricity but couldn't solve this following problem :

if two objects having 5 coulomb & 20 coulomb charge are situated 15 apart from each other and connected with a conductor wire , what will be the change of the force between them compare to the force between them without the wire ?

what will be the direction of flow of charge (if there any flow) & how to calculate which object will take charge or which will give(also what is the amount of transferred charge) ?

any descriptive answer will be really helpful (i'm little weak in static-electricity) , thank you .

(sorry for my poor english)

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 950 • Replies: 1
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by palatok
dalehileman
  Selected Answer

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2012 01:38 pm
@palatok,

Quote:
i've read the theory of static electricity but couldn't solve this following problem :
Pal I'm sure I can't either but as an erstwhile inventor in the field I'm interested to be sure

Quote:
……...if two objects…...apart from each other and connected with a conductor wire , what will be the change of the force…..compare to …..without the wire ?
I'd suppose flow through the wire would equalize the charge. Thus for instance if they were opposite in polarity a discharge would reduce both to zero

Quote:
what will be the direction of flow of charge (if there any flow)
Electrons from the one more negative would rush to the other

Quote:
& how to calculate which object will take charge or which will give(also what is the amount of transferred charge) ?
The amount of course Pal would depend on the original state of the two

Quote:
any descriptive answer will be really helpful (i'm little weak in static-electricity) , thank you .
You're entirely welcome but I hope someone familiar with the math of it all would respond

Quote:
(i'm little weak in static-electricity)
I'm weak almost everywhere

Quote:
(sorry for my poor english)
No need whatever to apologize. Good God, myself I have a BS in journ (pun intended) and am an erstwhile writer but yet a2k--rightly--frequently tears me apart mercilessly

Set, Ossobuco, why don't you get in on this, what an opportunity
0 Replies