word

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2012 03:42 pm
Hello ! Is there any verb in English that defines the process of changing, both physically and mentally, from a normal state to an awful one?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 942 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2012 03:48 pm
@Smarty11,
deterioration?
Smarty11

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2012 03:53 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I've come across "degrade" and "become degraded"... I wonder if it's correct to say "He was merely degrading " meaning that the person was changing into a disabled one?
Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2012 03:59 pm
@Smarty11,
Hmmm. 'Degrading' sounds too much like an adjective rather than a verb. You could say, instead, 'he was in the process of degrading' or 'he was becoming degraded.' But degraded has the connotation of somehow demoted or abased. I still like my first suggestion 'deteriorated' better.
Ragman

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2012 05:52 pm
@Smarty11,
regressed
Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2012 05:58 pm
@Ragman,
The only problem with 'regressed' is that it has the connotation of going backwards somehow, and I don't think that's what Smarty11 has in mind, according to the o.p.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2012 10:09 pm
@Smarty11,
http://onelook.com/?w=*&loc=revfp2&clue=changing%2C+from+normal+state+to+awful+
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2012 10:31 pm
deteriorating, going to pot, going to hell in a handbasket, going crazy, going insane, hitting rock bottom, going rotten at the core, going postal, going mental, falling apart, flipping out, going psycho, going batshit crazy. unravelling, losing it, losing your mind, losing all contact with reality, crashing and burning.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2012 11:01 am
@Lustig Andrei,
"He was merely degrading "

Quote:
'Degrading' sounds too much like an adjective rather than a verb.

How a word sounds does not determine what part of speech it is, Merry.

He was surfing.

She was dancing.

They were running.

Are those adjectives too?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2012 11:03 am
@Smarty11,
Quote:
I wonder if it's correct to say "He was merely degrading " meaning that the person was changing into a disabled one?

It's correct but it's not natural English.

'His condition was degrading' is okay.

He was going downhill [fast/quickly].
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2012 11:13 pm
"degrading" isn't usually used for mental or physical decay, which is what I think the OP was looking for. Rather it's a term you use for something that you think is beneath you (or whoever you're talking about), socially, economically. or morally. If you're a high executive in a company, say, and all of a sudden you're reassigned to cleaning toilet stalls, you'd think that was degrading.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2012 05:33 am
@Smarty11,

Quote:
Is there any verb in English that defines the process of changing, both physically and mentally, from a normal state to an awful one?

No, I don't think so.

You would have to say something like "deteriorating in physical and mental health".
Or, "sinking, both physically and mentally, into ill-health".
0 Replies

timur

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2012 06:24 am
Once we get past our early twenties, our bodies start a degenerative process...
0 Replies