Irrefutable basis for Belief in God

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 07:00 am
Irrefutable basis for Belief in God
Anything that can be proved to exist, and which a person considers sufficient to call God, is therefore his indisputable God. But only in respect of what can be proved.
Example.
If a person has an ineffable experience, and attaches the term God to it, that is his God. A personal experience undeniably exists. But no other ideas or qualities may then be attached to the experience, unless they are provable by derivation. An experience cannot have Christian philosophical ideas attached to it, or even the name Jesus, Christ, or the Trinity. A person cannot claim to have seen Jesus Christ - for whom there are no descriptions of any kind - only that his experience was in its cultural image.
Naturally, if the image is accompanied by mountains being laid flat, further explanation is required.
To make a logical leap in the dark, from subjective experience to the idea of a powerful being out there, or in there, is exceedingly dangerous, and effectively immoral. It may lead to sainthood or slaughter, or both.
To move from belief in 'God' to assertions of infallable doctrine derived from scripture, is dangerous in Altruist society, and only acceptable in Anarchist society where it does not infringe on the freedom of others.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 1,504 • Replies: 5

Setanta

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 07:04 am
The key word here is belief. One can choose to believe anything one wishes. I believe winged unicorns will fly out of my ass tonight.

Your post is drivel.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 07:32 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

The key word here is belief. One can choose to believe anything one wishes. I believe winged unicorns will fly out of my ass tonight.

I believe you Set and by all means go see a proctologist this afternoon before its too late. Shocked
Setanta

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 07:33 am
@tsarstepan,
I can't afford the surgery.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 07:34 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
I believe winged unicorns will fly out of my ass tonight.

that would be the best youtube video ever
0 Replies

democritus

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2013 06:42 am
@RW Standing,
In the topic called “Irrefutable basis for Belief in God ” RW Standing writes: "Anything that can be proved to exist, and which a person considers sufficient to call God, is therefore his indisputable God."

This is a complex sentence, let us analyse it:

A- In the first part of this sentence he says "Anything that can be proved to exist,” but we are not quite sure what is suggested to be a “proof” - The “proof” in modern logic or deductive reasoning means “sound” argument which is a type of ”valid” argument consists of true premises and true conclusion.

B- In the second part of the sentence he says “a person considers sufficient to call God”, but again we are not quite sure what is suggested to be “sufficient” to call something God. It seems RW Standing giving licence to anyone to call anything with any name he/she fancy. On the other hand RW Standing may adhere all the rules of modern reasoning/deductive logic applying to sufficiency criteria - it is not clear.

C- In the last part of the sentence he says “is therefore his indisputable God". - God or unicorn he thinks he has “sufficient proof” to call God or unicorn will obviously be his personal God or unicorn; trouble arises if he start believing and claiming that his personal God or unicorn is also universal God or unicorn. Because, personal criteria of sufficiency and proof may be short of universal sufficiency and proof.

So, this “Irrefutable basis” is more like “subjective reason” for belief in God.

Thanks,
pekin
0 Replies