Puerto Rico, our 58th State?

farmerman

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2012 11:17 am
@Thomas,
agreed. The independence movement has. it seems, beensignificantly reduced since 2000
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2012 11:29 am
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
I think that we should give them one more chance to vote themselves into the US. Failing to do that. Kick their province status from under their feet.

No more Made in the US products would then come from there. No more violating labor laws that apply in the 50 states and that don't qualify there because it isn't a state.

Good luck on that as half of all Puerto Ricans are on the mainland and how do you take the citizenship away from a people who had fought as part of the US in two world wars and all the others conflicts we had been in since they became a commonwealth of the US?
ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2012 05:25 pm
I'm baaaak, for now not having my cursor make giant leaps and ring bells. One of these days, I'll either lose the computer or not pay property tax or food or whatever, not a whine, but I likely am more aggravated by the big blanks than readers.

Though I don't remember the pros and cons re statehood, I remember, as I said, that there were some anti statehood points I could understand.
I'd bet my shoes there were a lot of articles about it, maybe a big one in the New Yorker but the NYer is hard to get through to as with a lot of main articles unless you subscribe you are proscribed or must pay, and past that, their search function is out to lunch.
They need to hire someone under seventy.

I say this as a New Yorker fan.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2012 06:33 pm
Just what we need, more Spanish speaking brown people thinking they're Americans.
farmerman

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2012 07:02 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
youll be extinct like your elky avatar. I just made a killer batch a Arroz con Pollo.
georgeob1

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2012 07:04 pm
I've spent a great deal of time in Puerto Rico over the years and rather like the place and the people. It appear the independence movement there is now largely spent, but I'm not sure the population would really welcome paying U.S. income taxes. (They already get most of our growing government handouts, and may find that paying for them is an obnoxious and unnecessary chore.)

The current government of Puerto Rico is making great strides reducing a very bloated and corrupt government that, in the earlier administration, had been hard at work creating an excessive degree of government dependence among the population (an easy way to win political power on someone else's money). It may take some time to heal the wounds that resulted. However, that done I would welcome it as a new state.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2012 07:20 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Just what we need, more Spanish speaking brown people thinking they're Americans.

YOU ******* ASSHOLE!!!

THEY DIDN'T ASK FOR TEDDY ROOSEVELT AND COMPANY TO COME IN AND CONQUER THEIR ISLANDS, YOU FOOL! BEST LEARN SOME ESPANOL, AMIGO.

We asked for it. Now live with it. Spanish will soon be a second language in the USA and a good thing, too. All the signs in the subways of NYC and Boston are in both languages now. I hope for your sake that the trend continues because you, my stupid friend, deserve every little bit of inconvenience that Fate can lay on you.

Btw, what's "brown skinned" got to do with anything, you racist muthafukka?
farmerman

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2012 07:28 pm
@georgeob1,
I did some work there in determining where and how a leak of diazzepam precursors were getting into a lgoon downgradient of a pharma plant. That was about 1984( years ago) and I had a 3 month BALL in Puerto Rico. The people were great, the land was neat and all I hadda do was play rocknocker .
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2012 07:33 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Get a grip you foolish old man.

Anyone that has paid attention to what I have posted over the years will know that I married a Puerto Rican woman and have three kids who are, by genetic extension, partially Puerto Rican. I have never uttered a disparaging word about Puerto Ricans in general or any other Spanish speaking brown peoples for that matter.

We really need a sarcasm font.

But I knew this post would lead some of you to frothing at the mouth based on your outlandish and superficial profile of me, and frankly I'm not at all surprised to find that you are the first of the rabid responders. (Although my money was actually on snood).

You may recall your ridiculous reaction to my posting that I had found a new historical hero in Genghis Khan (I'm thinking you actually did some research on the man because you didn't come roaring back to my reply).

Thank for not letting me down clown. Cool
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2012 07:35 pm
@farmerman,
The people are great, and the island's beauty is surpassed only by the beauty of its women.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2012 07:36 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Do I detect a somewhat excessive bit of self-righteous indignation?
Finn dAbuzz

@farmerman,
I doubt you know how to make Chicken and Rice half as well as the women in my wife's family.

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

@georgeob1,
Really?
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2012 07:41 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

I did some work there in determining where and how a leak of diazzepam precursors were getting into a lgoon downgradient of a pharma plant. That was about 1984( years ago) and I had a 3 month BALL in Puerto Rico. The people were great, the land was neat and all I hadda do was play rocknocker .

"rocknocker" ?? yet another word for those damn geologists !!

I've had several analogous experiences over the years. The island is very beautiful and most of the folks there interesting and a lot of fun.

I have a number of long-term friends there and visit them fairly regularly.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2012 07:43 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
We really need a sarcasm font.

I said that to msolga once. I let it go except for my snotty response on your mortality cause I recall you were never a racist in your posts and didnt you once give us some versions of arroz con pollo from your wife?

You can be a totally acceptable asshole without being dubbed a racist.
BUT think about it this way. I dont think MA knew of your personal life (You can be rather personable when you arent speaking of politics) and connexions. SO dont get all excited that he took offense.
I just happen to know of some of your other achievements by some quirk of interest cause I always thought you lived in or near Montgomery County Md.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2012 07:54 pm
@farmerman,
I'm not the least bit excited about the old fool's offense unless you consider the satisfaction of having landed a slow witted carp to be exciting.

I hardly considered your comment about the extinction of Irish Elks to be snotty or offensive. Frankly the only thing that ever rubs me the wrong way about your atrociously spelled posts is your "Tea-bagger" rants and I suspect you know this all too well.

You actually happen to be my favorite partisan hack (even if you encourage Osso to spread the tale of your injured fingers).
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2012 08:28 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
If that was sarcasm and/or irony, my quite sincere apologies, Finn.

The problem is, knowing your right-wing leanings (and not knowing anything about your personal life) I was forced to assume that your silly post was mean in all seriousness.

Again, my apologies.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2012 08:45 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Apolgies accepted with the same sincerity in which they were offered.

The problem really is that you make massive and outrageous assumptions about right wing leanings.

You were not, at all, forced to assume anything. You very happily chose to.

Ultimately, it's not a big deal at all because I assure you I don't go to bed worrying how Merry Andrews/Lustig Andrei thinks of me.

It's far more an issue for you. Think about it as you will.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2012 09:56 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:
I think that we should give them one more chance to vote themselves into the US. Failing to do that. Kick their province status from under their feet.

No more Made in the US products would then come from there. No more violating labor laws that apply in the 50 states and that don't qualify there because it isn't a state.

Good luck on that as half of all Puerto Ricans are on the mainland and how do you take the citizenship away from a people who had fought as part of the US in two world wars and all the others conflicts we had been in since they became a commonwealth of the US?

What's up with this? Citizenship isn't revoked, and the children of citizens become citizens at birth, regardless of where they happen to live. The children's children, too.
BillRM

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2012 10:37 pm
@roger,
Quote:
What's up with this? Citizenship isn't revoked, and the children of citizens become citizens at birth, regardless of where they happen to live. The children's children, too.

Sorry but the people of Prerto Rico can not have it both ways and could not keep their citizenship and have an independent nation at the same time.

Their citizenships is not a constitution citizenships but a legislature citizenships and if Puerto Rico is no longer a part of the US there go their citizenship also by common logic. In other word the congress gave them citizenship and the congress can remove that citizenship at whim as they are not constitution citizens.Of course if someone is born on the mainland they would still be citizens.

As I said before it would be a mess to undo over a hundred years connection between the US and Puerto Rico.