Puerto Rico, our 58th State?

MMarciano

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 04:20 pm
I was born and raised in Puerto Rico. I can remember a time when the younger generation wanted independence from the United States. I still have quite a few family members living there and from what I’ve heard the Puerto Rican population is still reluctant to vote Statehood.

Some people believe Puerto Ricans are leeches that don’t pay State or Federal Taxes. They pay taxes to the Government of Puerto Rico which in essence is the U.S. Government.

It’s my understanding the US Government provides financial aid to Puerto Rico approximately about $3.5 billion annually. The right wingers complain about this. However, if you're going to continue to keep a group of people colonize for over 100 years then you know what, yeah pay up. In addition, if you're going to use our men and women to fight your wars dating back to WWI then yes they need to be reimbursed some how.

BeachBoy

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 04:39 pm
@MMarciano,
Ir Puerto Rico, no queremos un Estado, queremos independencia.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 04:43 pm
@MMarciano,
I did read - not sure how many years ago - a lot of the reasons Puerto Ricans are not just all for statehood, and being me, forget, but remember that there were reasons I understood..

I don't think this was meant as a joke thread, was it?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 04:50 pm
@farmerman,
First, you get a pollo.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 04:59 pm
@roger,
Nice from someone who isn't into cooking or chicken raising.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 05:18 pm
@farmerman,
I'm all in favor of statehood for Puerto Rico but I think it should be the 60th state, not the 58th.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 05:53 pm
@BeachBoy,
SO why are you against statehood
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 05:56 pm
@MMarciano,
what do you think of Independence?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 05:56 pm
@roger,
Pollo this
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 06:18 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

PS I need a really great recipe for Arroz con Pollo

How about Arroz con Rolo?
http://i45.tinypic.com/2lxyy2r.jpg
http://cepesrural.lamula.pe/wp-content/blogs.dir/4054/files/2011/02/arroz3.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 06:21 pm
Why is this all so funny?

Sorry, cursor madness,

0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 06:39 pm
The next thing you know, they'll want a baked potato.

-- Emily Litella
ossobuco

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 06:44 pm
@boomerang,
Trying to answer fast - I didn't mean that blank page, has to do with my computer that I can't control.

0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 06:48 pm
It has to do with this: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7ms4m_saturday-night-live-weekend-update_fun

Gilda Radner was so funny.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 06:53 pm
@boomerang,
I couldn't see that. Tell me about it being funny.
boomerang

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 07:07 pm
@ossobuco,
Gilda Radner used to do this commentary on the Saturday Night Live news segment. She played a character named Emily Litella who was hard of hearing and always messed things up just a little bit.

One other time I remember she was ranting about "flea elections in China" instead of "free elections in China".

In this one she was ranting about President Ford wanting to make "Puerto Rico a steak" instead of a "state". She said "the next thing you know they'll want a baked potato. Then they'll want a salad bar." She goes on and on until the anchor woman corrects her.

I can't find any of the skits on youtube, unfortunately.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 07:11 pm
@boomerang,
Got it, I say...

probably before my computer explodes, but thanks, smiles.
farmerman

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2012 06:09 am
@ossobuco,
nevver mind
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2012 08:52 am
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:
The referendum in Puerto Rico was, as I recall, indecisive. The first question had to do with whether people wanted a change in the status with the U.S.

A narrow majority said yes. When asked what that change should be (ranging from statehood through independence), there was no clear consensus.

Puerto Rico voted 54%:46% to change the status quo Source, and voted for statehood over the non-territorial options by a margin of 61% (statehood) to 33% (sovereign commonwealth) to 6% (independence). (The source for both is Puerto Rico's election commission.) That's a pretty clear majority.
realjohnboy

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2012 09:01 am
@Thomas,
As I recall the number of people who voted in the second part of the referendum was some 450,000 fewer than in the first part. That struck me as strange. I can't remember the numbers, though.
0 Replies