Marilyn Manson

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 07:43 pm
I realize that people of my own age group will immediately say NO to his music. This is real refined taste coming from a woman of 40! lol! I think he really got it together with Antichrist Superstar. I don't find many artist out today that can actually elicit emotion, which is the standard I define art.

The Speed of Pain has to be one of my very favorites. I find anyone who has had a serious relationship that both people really did care, that broke up for whatever reason should clearly understand this song, but they miss it altogether often. This song is an expression of pain, as I understand it. How can any adult not relate to this song? Lyrics, "Oh, that we die holding hands." as an ending to many words. This is a very human experience. Isn't that what we all want? A relationship that last with true love? It doesn't necessarily happen, as this song expresses.

I have a hard time saying what is my favorite. His music is that good. It varies in music and vocal according to what mood the song projects. Down in the Park is drastically different, but excellent. I realize that he uses know songs and adapts them. His look also reminds me much of Alice Cooper. We call it Goth today, yet Goths reject anything that goes with such success. They think this is called Mansonites, which they do not accept as clearly Goth.

I can't even get anyone to even listen, with an open mind, of my own age group. This is substantial music. I realize he does use filler lyrics, but sends a message and does elicit emotion.

Love Marilyn or hate him. I have seen no in between. What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,893 • Replies: 30
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 08:23 pm
I like the Antichrist Superstar album but didn't like the next one (don't remember the name) as much.

Speed of Pain is pretty good.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 08:36 pm
I used to be a goth when goth was new, circa Bauhaus, and the whole batcave-post punk thing. I kinda like Manson, I think more for his honesty as a personality in interviews and such than his music, which I don't mind really. I just have a little trouble getting over the fact that he was a protege of Trent Reznor, and still seems a pale comparison to Nine Inch Nails. Talking about relationships....NIN's 'The Fragile' double CD is amazing...
0 Replies

Wildflower63

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 10:26 pm
Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't Down in the Park a NIN combo?

I like Manson's honesty as well. He expresses many emotions that I can identify with. He was a bit hard to catch with his latest. He went techno, as I see it. His audience isn't really techno fans at all. I think he screwed up by attempting something current with that one.

Has anyone heard that he got rid of Twiggy? Nothing offical, but a friend of my son's told me this. He completely objects to this and feels Twiggy was a serious part of of the band that will no longer be projected.

What's up with Twiggy?
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 11:59 am
Re: Marilyn Manson
Wildflower63 wrote:
What do you think?

I hate him,he is worse than Eminem.
0 Replies

Wildflower63

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 10:06 pm
Rap was never my taste, but I like Eminem too. He is a lousy musician. He is great with lyrics. I like people who are bold enough to say what is on their mind, even if socially unpopular.
0 Replies

sweet majestic darkness

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 11:22 pm
I don't really care for the shemale (haha j/k) I have heard his music, and it is nothing tasteful to me.
0 Replies

Wildflower63

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 06:48 pm
Everyone loves to hate Marilyn Manson. I fail to understand why. What is 'she' about him? Maybe you don't understand his message is all. I feel he uses symbolism, as any artist does. Men and women are not so different. We both want the same thing, but use different methods in achieving goals, love from the opposite sex, which is hard to achieve.

Understand our own cultural bias. Women can put on a strap up dildo without any criticism at all. Men are not allowed the same. Women are the ones demanding to be so equal, but do not allow a man to wear fake tits as artistic expression without calling him a fag and completely dismissing anything relevant he may have to say.

Listen to the music and stop watching too many videos. I feel MTV destroyed musicians who are not pretty, yet very talented. This led to a whole culture, over two decades, of allowing media view, not their own ears, to judge musical merit or lack of it.

How on earth did Brittany Spears ever get known without MTV? She wouldn't because she severely lacks musical talent. She is now wealthy and famous for. No one can tell me that music videos are not responsible for such fame of beauty and style while completely lacking any artistic merit at all!

For the exact same reason, people will not open mindedly listen to Marilyn at all. He has to present an image. He chose shock because he is an unattractive male. What choice did he really have competing with Brittany?

Marilyn does rock music, which has a large audience. He is dismissed without anyone bothering to even listen because he isn't some pretty boy and was forced to use a different image.

Try Goth for an image. That is Marilyn's image. They even reject him because they want to believe they are an exclusion from mainstream, so the wish to believe. Goths copied from Alice Cooper of the 70's, just as Marilyn did. Who are they to complain?

Download Great White World and listen to it. Does this sound like some fag? It isn't. Neither is Man that You Fear. Marylyn does no music promoting gay lifestyle, just freedom of choice to express individuality, not conformance.

I agree completely with him on that issue, but not on absolutely everything he says. He does have filler lyrics. He also has substance and honesty that most artist go for popularity, which is not artistic expression at all.

Marilyn is my top favorite of any merit at all. I have two others worthy. I can't say a thing positive about any other rock artist at all.

Who do you feel is the true artist of the 90's? Seriously! I am curious.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 07:59 pm
Good points Wildflower...kickycan started a thread about how kids are turning to classic rock these days, instead of the pop pap being forced down their throats. It makes sense. There are no great rock artists in the '90s. Corporate cookie-cutter music destroyed that.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 08:15 pm
A friend of mine has always referred to Our Dear Marilyn as my rock and roll girlfriend. I've enjoyed much of his/her music, but am become cynical after she covered Tainted Love. As with Pearl Jam and their cover of Last Kiss (oh my god ! ! ! could they have chosen a more disgusting example of early sixties music ? ! ? ! ?), it only suggests to me that inspiration must be in short supply in rock and roll these days.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 08:32 pm
Inspiration is short indeed these days.
0 Replies

sanqi

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 02:59 am
Wildflower63 wrote:
Everyone loves to hate Marilyn Manson. I fail to understand why. What is 'she' about him? Maybe you don't understand his message is all. I feel he uses symbolism, as any artist does. Men and women are not so different.

Well, because for most "normal" people it takes some effort to understand and appreciate what Marilyn Manson does.

What Marilyn Manson has talent in is creating shock value. He is great at staying in the public eye. However, IMO he is not a very talented musician, and a mediocre lyricist at best.

Though I do admire his work in The Golden Age of Grotesque. Edit (Moderator): Link removed.
0 Replies

Wildflower63

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 06:42 pm
Sanqi, I don't mean to be insulting, but "normal" people are usually completely ignorant about artistic merit. They only listen to something of low quality that happens to be catchy, yet very boring after you listen to it a few times.

There are other people that understand art. These people are not "abnormal" at all, just more enlightened than the average "normal" ignorant person to evaluate.

Sentata, where did Marilyn blow it being considered less than artistic? Because he did his own version of a known song? If this is the only one you caught by any artist, you are grandly missing something about music and differing expression of the exact same song.

This is very common, you may not have noticed though, by all musicians. I would love to hear a count on how many people used Neil Young's music and people think it is original. It isn't and never was, but no one noticed. This is done by many artist of far less talent than Marilyn.

I don't claim that Marilyn is the perfection of modern rock, but we don't have a whole lot to choose from since Brittany is busy making millions showing off her latest tit job and rap sells nothing but 'cool' with no artistic merit at all. I would love to see talented, yet physically unattractive people perform music, not interpret it for us through MTV.

Cavfancier, do I hear you! I have a 17 year old son. They are very bored with today's music. They love The Beatles even! I was driving them home one evening and had my CD mix going. My car. My pick! In this CD was Kansas, which I didn't think the boys would like, so I hit the button to get to the next song. They all stopped me. They never heard that and were interested. I let it rip. They loved it! They love my favorites of the 70's and today's rock. True talent is refreshing these days when cool sells, even to teen boys.

I even have one music freak friend of my son's who shares music with me. I give him the old. He gives me the new. He likes my music of old a lot more than I like his new, but he tries! Young people are very starved for quality, thanks to MTV!!
0 Replies

sanqi

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 07:38 pm
OK, bad choice of words. I didn't mean 'normal' in an insulting way. I meant people who are mainly "fed" through MTV/radio.

I have never met anybody who was passionate about music think very much of Marilyn Manson. He's a showcase for the popular media, and he is very good at doing that. That in itself is an art that he has mastered.

But as far as music, in this light, I have to disagree with you about Manson being an artist. What do you like most about Manson? His industrial sound? His presentation? His lyrics? Because in every category there are much more talented artists out there. And there is plenty of refreshing music out there these days.

So I don't deny him being an artist. Just not in music. I also agree with you that people love to hate him. Nowadays people mention his brief interview in Bowling for Columbine and say "wow, I didn't know he was so intelligent."

Yet, they still don't try listening to his music. *shrug*
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 07:50 pm
As a professional musician I'll throw my 2 cents in. Manson is a good pop entertainer with a large dependance on shock value. I got to see him in the early 80's when he was staring out in South Florida and he was very talented. A couple of months ago I saw him on Howard Stern and it was rather pathetic. Howard was trying to convince him to deflower one of his teenage fans. Manson was rather bashful and sweet but he gets no points from me for doing that kind of stunt.
As for Eminem. He's the real thing. An alternative for parents who don't want their daughters listening to 50 cent..LOL
0 Replies

El-Diablo

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 10:03 pm
Quote:
Has anyone heard that he got rid of Twiggy? Nothing offical, but a friend of my son's told me this. He completely objects to this and feels Twiggy was a serious part of of the band that will no longer be projected.

What's up with Twiggy?

I'm not sure if Twiggy split from Manson (I personally can't stand Manson's music), but i do know Twiggy now plays guitar for A Perfect Circle, which IMO is a mcuh better band. Twiggy was a great guitaris and personally I'd rather he stick with A Perfect Circle than go back Manson.
0 Replies

Wildflower63

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 09:12 pm
I am probably so completely depressed and disappointed with life and people in it, I do identify with Marilyn. I don't do videos. I don't want or need any musical interpretation for me. I would love to flush MTV down the toilet, where it belongs! I like Marylyn.

I know he can put on quite a show. I have seen concert performance. I have also seen him interviewed. He starts showing his lunchbox collection. His favorite, Scooby Doo. He seems quite a different person that what his music presents. I can understand that. In interview, he seems to be socially inept and shy. His music is the opposite, which probably does cause confusion with this inconsistency. You cannot ever predict what thoughts are in the mind of another, especially with artistic expression and no reserve in thought with written music or expression of it. You can expect reserve when personally confronted.

Science is shocking also and just as real and disgusting as any crude terms anyone wishes to express emotion, such as an artist. As an RN, I am quite sure I have seen much more shock and horror than most people will ever dream of seeing, hearing, or dealing with repetitively, in something as song lyrics to get their panties in a bunch over.

People need to get real and stop being so PC shocked!! Seriously. There is a whole lot worse out there than lyrics to some song. I refuse to watch any music video. I was never influenced by this before listening to Marilyn. I think he really got it together with Antichrist Superstar. I think he went entirely too techno with his latest, which I only like some of. Wrong style and wrong lyrics of late. I think Marilyn had fantastic original style and screwed up big time with his latest.

Just a note about Eminem. I tell my own 13 year old daughter to listen to the attitude about women this guy has. We all know the double standard. I have a 17 year old son with tons of friends who agree with this exact philosophy, not exact words. Today, young women do not respect themselves. They also get no respect from males because of the way they choose to behave.

My 13 year old daughter is attractive. I got by on looks for years too, minus the sexual demands of today. She wont. My daughter has to make a choice at a very young age where temptation rules. No male will ever give teen girls respect until the day the decide to earn it, just sex drive is all. I want her to use her brain, not her appearance.

It is dangerous because her looks can manipulate, if used the right way, but wont to intelligent guys, which is what she should have. She is far from intellectually inferior and should never act in a way that she may be seen as such by males. The fact is, my daughter is very intelligent, but I don't want her using it for the wrong reasons, manipulation of others.

It is fact, men never respect women who think they do not have to earn anything in life because they are too pretty and neither should anyone, male or female. I want my daughter to hear Eminem's lyrics because it really is the truth. Truthfully, I want her to hear it over and over until she gets the picture. Editing what she hears keeps her ignorant to those who are not. Try Superman, which is a good one! I expect the exact same standard out of my daughter as I do my son.

Respect is earned. Looks fade and women are truly stupid to rely on this as any means of survival. No woman should depend on or use a man or the same in reverse. You get what you earn out of life, male or female. Girls look good and don't know how guys see them, but I do.

Back to looks, how on earth was Marilyn supposed to compete? He is unattractive. He would never make MTV without some gimmick, right? Yes, I am. Don't blame the guy for going with outrageous stuff to sell his music, which is good. He could never do it with MTV otherwise. I don't blame him for fag acts or any stunt he pulled to get attention to, not him, his music. It is really pretty good, but not exactly a work of art, but could be with a little less filler lyrics.

My son's friend that I share music with, agrees. He says that Marylyn got a big head with his success and went too far from much differentiated music of his past with his latest release. I have to agree. He was the one who told me about Marylyn getting rid of Twiggy thinking his newest is the reason for this drastic change in original style.

I am not offended by crude words to express thought or emotion. I also like Marilyn's original style. I am also not religious, so not offended at his multi questions of God.

If I can live through many repetition in Marilyn's music and love it, I have to give him credit that I cannot give most popular artist with no MTV bias of presentation, just his music.
0 Replies

sanqi

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 04:25 am
Glad you feel that way about his music. This is completely subjective and even though IMO his music isn't that great, this is your opinion.

Wildflower63 wrote:

My son's friend that I share music with, agrees. He says that Marylyn got a big head with his success and went too far from much differentiated music of his past with his latest release. I have to agree. He was the one who told me about Marylyn getting rid of Twiggy thinking his newest is the reason for this drastic change in original style.

Though I have to disagree with you here. Manson got bigheaded after the success of Antichrist Superstar, hence the fallout with Reznor (see the song "Star****ers, Inc."). And what did you want exactly from Manson in his latest release? Antichrist Superstar II? A good artist will, with age and maturity, seek more sophisticated forms of expression. I think GOAG was a huge accomplishment.

Have you heard track 2 of the GOAG, "This is the New ****"? I think Manson is very aware that as an artist he can't rely on the same material from previous successes. In addition, Manson has faded from the public eye recently. Is it safe to say, then, that Manson is finally developing as a true musician and putting clever showmanship aside?

Twiggy is great but he doesn't belong anymore. The new guitarist from KMFDM is awesome and will teach Manson how to write better music.
0 Replies

Wildflower63

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 09:51 pm
Yes, I have heard and love This is the New.... and love it! Didn't hear about the fall out with Trent! I just listen to the music is all. This is a big change from his usual!!! Thanks for the info!!
0 Replies

Wildflower63

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 02:06 pm
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I just had to add that little saying. I also have to add that I feel it is a good thing that we are all different. We all have different likes and dislikes. I like Marylyn. I may be from Kentucky, but country music makes me want to cry in my beer just hearing it! lol!!

Marilyn may see to be shock value and nothing more to many people. I have to agree about the shock value thing. It really is a shame it has to be that way to sell a record and for others to give it a listen out of this sort of thing. Madonna is among the rich and famous. She used the exact shock tactic. That doesn't mean she isn't talented. She is, but not really my taste. She does have some great music that I do like. I like Beautiful Stranger. She also puts on a fantastic show.

Marilyn isn't so different than Madonna or Jackson. All put on quite an entertaining show with their music. I believe Jackson is far more talented than either. He can write and perform on a much higher caliber than Madonna or Marilyn. I love to watch Jackson perform, but can't stand his music only because it is not my taste at all. I love rock.

How white of me, if you have heard that old expression and know what it means. I'm laughing at myself for being such for being a bit too white with culture and personal taste, not insulting anyone! I can and do notice talent when I see it. I don't happen to like classical symphony, although it is the most talented music has to offer. It doesn't entertain me.

I'm am happy we are all so different or this world would be a very boring place. Any other Manson fans out there that have any suggestions of music I might like would be appreciated!!
0 Replies