Story Problem

SCoates

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 11:10 pm
I disagree. You yourself said you can't mix finite and infinite. They are insoluable.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 11:42 pm
There is no mathematical value that humans can understand that represents infinity. The problem is unsolvable. X+1
0 Replies

akaMechsmith

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 06:30 pm
CI,
On that rather "absolute statement I beg to differ"( the problem is unsolvable), although I am not absolutely sure that I do Rolling Eyes

I spent better than twenty years of "musing time" attempting to force my mind to accept what my brain "knew".

I can now accept it as a fact and a belief that there may be material things which are either infinite or eternal and perhaps both.

This, without a doubt, was the most difficult abstraction that I have ever tried to wrap my mind around.

In the various conversations that I have had on similar ideas I have noted that even amongst the most scientific types the view of infinity is often flawed.

That difficulty IMO is responsible for many God's, Big Bangs, Expanding Universes, and even "Original Sins".

I kind of wonder (musingly) what there is about a "concept of infinity" that makes even the very idea so difficult for human minds.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 06:39 pm
Because we are unable to "visualize" infinity?
0 Replies

akaMechsmith

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 06:56 pm
Perhaps, but I think it's more than that. There are plenty of other things that cannot be "visualized" but can be imagined as existing. Of course but few of them are "infinite".
0 Replies

unluckystar

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 07:11 pm
The tree would never pass below the fog if it is indefinete, right? (These story problems always confuze me!)
0 Replies