sozobe

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 03:08 pm
Sozlet and her friend Kay have birthdays a week apart. They're planning a shared birthday party this year.

They're doing almost all of the planning, but I'll be putting together a scavenger hunt for everyone. Kay's mom might be helping, not clear yet.

Sozlet and Kay are turning 12, attendees will be 11 and 12.

The weather is a potential problem -- it's probably going to be chilly, and maybe rainy (Columbus in November).

They REALLY REALLY WANT a scavenger hunt. I figure if enough of the activities are happening indoors and if they bring umbrellas and such, whatever.

I have to talk to them more about how they're going to handle the specifics. They want to have two teams of 10. I'm not sure about that. Smaller groups seem to make more sense to me, maybe even just partners.

They also seem to want it to be photo-based, so I have to make sure there are enough cameras to go around (between phones and iPod touches there should be).

One thing I'd like to do is include some neighborhood boys who are friends but who won't be invited. "Take your photo with a 6th-grade boy," maybe. (I'll probably contact parents to make sure said boys are actually going to be home then first.)

The actual scavenger hunt would probably happen around dusk -- they say 5 to 6 PM, I think there should be more time for that.

Anyway, haven't done this before, would like it to be fun but safe and not illegal or anything!

I've started the usual round of internet research but I pretty much always get some good ideas when I ask on A2K, too.

Thanks!

jcboy

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 03:21 pm
@sozobe,
Anthony did that when his son turned 11.

There were about 8 different teams, 5 to a team. They had to go to different places and collect different items, for instance, a token, like you get at chuck e cheese. An empty paper cut of coffee signed by the girl behind the counter, and a photo of helping a random lady pump the gas in her car. Those were a few, it was fun, Marco and I helped out!
Razz
sozobe

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 03:23 pm
@sozobe,
Some good stuff here:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2262194_plan-photo-scavenger-hunt-groups.html

I like spelling out a word (like "HI") with their bodies.

I also like the idea of just dispensing disposable cameras and then taking them to a one-hour photo place (to develop while they're having dinner, say) rather than worrying about phones and such. Depends on how available they are I guess.

Ooh then I can get the online option too and go ahead and show the photos either on my computer monitor or if everything works out by then, a big (40") TV.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 03:24 pm
@jcboy,
Wow, 40 people! And I thought 20 was a lot.

Did you have chaperones for each team, with cars and stuff? Or just keep it in the neighborhood?

That's one thing I'm trying to figure out, afternoon/ dusk in our neighborhood I'm willing to let them go hog wild in small groups. (I like 5, that makes sense.)
jcboy

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 03:32 pm
@sozobe,
Yes two adults per 5 kids. We took separate cars and followed each other. But we only did it in a ten-block radius. And they had one hour to get all the items and report back. We got everything except the address for a phone booth; there are not too many phone booths around anymore.

Another one was a photo of a guy on a motorcycle; we lucked out with that one, while pumping the ladies gas a guy on a bike pulled up.
Cool
sozobe

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 03:34 pm
@sozobe,
More ideas here, it was a source for the first one so some repeats but some other good ideas too (I like the one that's someone who is at least 85, and jumping off a swing (must be in mid-air):

http://www.coolest-parties.com/scavenger-hunt-list-ideas.html

Some of the stuff we have to work with in the area, walking distance:

- A playground
- A smallish wooded area
- Some restaurants, coffee shops, etc.
- A sports field/ stadium
- Schools etc.
- Library
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 03:36 pm
@jcboy,
Two adults per 5 kids, that's a high ratio.

These are generally pretty responsible kids, I might be willing to let them go off on their own (in groups) -- not sure yet.

I definitely like groups of five better than groups of 10.

edit: I am coming around to the idea of having it a set time like one hour, just get as much done during that time as you can. The rushing makes it more fun. Very Happy
jcboy

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 03:38 pm
@sozobe,
Anthony's son was turning 11 but the ages of the kids were 9 to 11, except Antonio, we took him with us.

0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 03:45 pm
I like the points idea, some things are worth more than others and the highest score wins:

http://www.studentministry.org/freebie-friday-125-photo-scavenger-hunt-list/
sozobe

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 03:48 pm
@sozobe,
http://www.perfect-partygames.com/support-files/the-great-scavenger-hunt.pdf

(Starting to get a handle on this....)
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2012 12:45 pm
I used to work in a shopping mall and would occasionally get groups of kids in the store for scavenger hunts. Having it in the mall kept all of the kids in a climate controlled, enclosed space (no leaving the building!) And gave plenty of options for things to hunt. I remember some of the items...empty coffee cup, unattached alarm sensor, broken piece of glass ( I got this one a lot working in a dish store. I don't know why anyone would include this for a kids game.) An empty bag from certain stores, various utensils from the food court, the nylon sock from a shoe store, an ad...all kinds of stuff. A photo scavenger hunt would be even easier.
sozobe

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2012 05:40 pm
@Aldistar,
Hi Aldistar. I really like the climate-controlled aspect. We have a couple of malls that would qualify. It removes the local part, and I'd prefer to have it be local, but the weather worries me a lot. (Cold is fine, rain/ sleet not so much.)

Broken glass?! Weird.

How old were the kids you saw when you worked at the mall?
sozobe

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 12:31 pm
This came up on another thread, some ideas there. One thing I like is the idea of some sort of public performance (pretty much all of the attendees are theatrical types). Not sure how it would work exactly.

Thoughts, in no particular order:

- The timing might work for caroling of some sort.
- Gangnam Style (complete with dance).
- Anything (they can come up with it).
- How to score?
--- Have some sort of a card for signatures saying they did a good job, more signatures = more points?
--- Tip jar of some kind, more $$ = more points? (Donate to charity when over.)
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2012 08:27 pm
@sozobe,
Most of the kids were junior high/middle school age. Sometimes adults would be with the kids, sometimes they waited in the food court.
sozobe

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2012 10:29 am
@Aldistar,
OK, that's about the age of these kids too.

The other mom still hasn't gotten back to me about plans so I don't know what will be happening with this. I'm happy to take on all organization, but I don't know if going with the scavenger hunt idea would be kosher, since it's came from Kay and she got the idea from a party her older sister had (that Kay's mom was in charge of).

Eh, we'll see. It doesn't have to be a big party, can come up with something more modest at the last minute if need be.
0 Replies