will the earth shift polarity ?

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 01:37 pm
will things come to a stop then start flowing oppositely ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,633 • Replies: 31
No top replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 02:20 pm
[size=7]<This is really just a friendly book mark... I admit right now that I have no idea~>[/size]

I've heard it would, Algis. (Kind of scary!) I've also heard people explain that it wouldn't even be noticed. Have to admit it SEEMS like there would be a disruption... at least with winds & weather.

Hopefully this is a long way in the future but since it has happened several times in a cyclic pattern, we're due for another shift. Maybe somebody will come on soon & fully explains this. Very Happy <biting nails>
0 Replies

Relative

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 02:37 pm
As far as I know it is the magnetic polarity that shifted several times.

Nothing dramatic (read noticeable) would happen except for deadly solar wind especially when solar activity is high. That would only kill us if we go out a lot. Out of concrete bunkers. 20 meters below ground.
And there would be outrageously beautiful corona borealis spectacle!!
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 05:38 pm
so it has happened or an eventual chance of this. If so how does that affect our computers?
0 Replies

Relative

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 05:59 pm
I meant it has happened in the past (10 mil. years ago). If it happens again, well, it will render our computers useless. And all telecommunications. And might eliminate some of the life on Earth.

But it is not likely to happen - a reasonably-sized meteor falling is more likely than that.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 06:05 pm
Relative wrote:
I meant it has happened in the past (10 mil. years ago). If it happens again, well, it will render our computers useless. And all telecommunications. And might eliminate some of the life on Earth.

But it is not likely to happen - a reasonably-sized meteor falling is more likely than that.

More likely, your pocket compass would point in the wrong direction. That's about it. The earth's magnetic field has NOTHING to do with how your computer or any other telecommunications systems work.

Electricty is generated based on the generator's magnetic field - not the earths.
0 Replies

neil

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 06:14 pm
My guess is the problem is much over rated. At present Earth's magnetic field funnels the radiation away from most of Earth onto Antarctica and Northern Canada, The Canadians who live in the far North do not have a high rate of cancer inspite of increased radiation exposure. My guess is a 20% increase in skin cancer as a result of a few years of zero and weak magnetic field while the reversal occurs. Less than 1% of this radiation can penetrate one meter of soil, so 20 meters underground is excessive caution. The reversal may already be in progress and it will likely take between one month and one century to return to about the same magnetic strength as we have at present.
Only about one percent of the computer failures will be due to weak magnetic field.
Meteorologists don't think Earth's weather is affected by the magnetic field other than the Northern lights.
Very little of modern technology depends on Earth's magnetic field so hardly anything will work backwards. Neil
0 Replies

Relative

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 08:02 pm
Please see

http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/cracks_magnetic_field.html

or

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/generalscience/earth_poles_991027.html

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/magnetic/about.html

Seems like nobody is 100% sure what's happening in magnetosphere, but besides the atmosphere it's our main defense.

Shields up!
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 08:27 pm
I recently heard someone mentioning it on Costa Rica.Seems if it were to occur anytimesoon the resulting kaos would be unpredicatable. Would our computerized power plants be affected. Is this a doomday senario that we were not informed with before we went so whole hog with this form of technology control. Maybe sometings should have remained as manual as possible to prevent the extreme....

It seems that if people have this predisosition for explosions in movies then maybe we have a collective future image of someyhing big and inevitable.

Until the whole world can decide on these kind of things we will always be unsafe..
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 08:31 pm
Well yes this is what was mentioned on CR.I expect cr to be a pretty safe place to be when this thing comes to pass. I also feel that the opportunity to explore off shoots of this because other portals might be open to us at this time.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 08:37 am
The earth's magnetic field is indeed weakening, and there is a good chance that it will flip sometime within the next thousand years. The process could take hundreds of years, during which time we will have little protection from solar radiation. I would expect significantly higher mutation rates as well as skin cancer unless we transition to an indoor/underground society. I don't think there would be much effect on plant growth and farming.

The earth's power grid is vulnerable to damaging surges of electricity induced by severe solar storms. Radio and cell phone communications may be disrupted. Presumably we will come up with technological fixes by the time they are needed.

It has been over 700,000 years since the last flip, so it is hard to predict the effect it will have on animal migration.

It may be that the usual periodic fluctuations of the dynamo that produces the earth's magnetic field occurred during the long "normal" period between about 121 and 83 million years ago (see Timeline of reversals ), but an external magnetic field made the earth's field realign the same way every time.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 09:40 am
Hi Terry,

Yes all these transmissions in our air are not fun concepts to think about when we are dealing with this kind of possibility.

I guess would make me an alarmist....We are such a small fraction of the earth equation,I guess it's our human sentiment....The sentiment of seeing a good life with good people with good values .
0 Replies

Inquisitive

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2004 11:47 pm
Polarity Shifting
First off, I would like to say that I am the last person to buy into any type of panic propaganda. While the whole world is up in arms about global warming and the possibility of a nuclear holocaust, of breaking down of the o-zone layer due to excess CO2 caused by car exhaust and what not, I am skeptical of all of it. I personally think in current times, humanity should be growing more humble considering all we are learning about the universe. In fact, personally, I find that the more I learn the less I really know. Therefore, I've turned away from the philosophy of this "transhumanism" (which is so revered by all of the sci-fi nerds on this forum) but more towards the study of morphic fields. In general, the study of energy. This is something I am fairly predisposed to, in light of my fathers profession. He has been a practicing DC for nearly 21 years, a Board certified practician of CRA (Contact Reflex Analysis). His greatest focus, however, is the study-and practice of-the human energy matrix, and re-patterning of it.

The living energy field is generally undisputed. For thousands of years physicians, medicine men, shamans, you name it, have all based their practice on energy. The living spirit of the body. There are three visible perpetual energy fields: mental, physical, and spiritual. Now, obviously the physical field is not physical in it's own right, but it is referred to as such because it is generated by the beating of the heart, and the motion of blood circulation (it is also influenced by the nervous system). But aside from that, these morphic fields change by the condition of their corresponding forces (i.e. physical to physical, mental to mental). Under closer observation, we find that these fields co-exist, and when there is a disruption in one aspect of our field, the rest of the field takes a hit. If a person is seriously depressed we find that their mental and spiritual field have affected the physical field, and the body which creates the fields in the first place. My problem with society today, especially western society is that people, in general, have great misunderstanding of energy, and the impact it weighs on every aspect of life. In the health care systems of America, there is a gross lack of respect for nature and life in general.

My father recently attended a seminar on this subject of polarity shifting. The information he brought back was just incredible. Presenting the seminar were a group of scientist who are paid by the Canadian government to study and investigate the shifting of the poles. They have determined (through tracking of the poles from 1837 to present) that a polar shift occurs every 700,000 years approx.. Though that may give one the impression that this flip occurs gradually, they made it clear that this shift occurs relatively suddenly. To clarify, the climax is happening in our lifetime, and we are seeing it manifest itself into geologic abnormalities, as well as societal abnormalities. Volcanoes are erupting that have not been predicted to erupt for hundreds of thousands of years. These volcanoes erupt, and the volcanologists take magnetic readings of the site in order to determine the current of lava. Cities are evacuated, and when the volcano does erupt, the lava flows away from the route predicted and back up the mountain. The scientist sit there and scratch their heads. The impact of the shift is also being felt in the animal kingdom as well. This year in particular has been a fairly odd year, in that the reproductive cycles of various species are apparently disrupted. While certain animals attempt to mate out of season, other animals-even during the mating season-are completely ignorant to mating. It's been a very celibate year in the animal kingdom. Erratic weather patterns are also a good indication of abnormality in the fields.

To bring all this to a conclusion... I would like to take the issue back to humanity. Like is said before, humans more than any other species neglect the energies of life. I believe that humanity today is fighting the change. While the rest of the world and nature recognizes the change and adapts, humanity fights it. We fight the apparent forces of the nature and we are so foolish and arrogant as to try and combat them. Look to the sky and you'll see trails of chemicals. We spray our artificial compounds into the atmosphere with hopes of reversing the effects of global warming (which I believe is nothing more than a speculation anyway). On an individual level, some people are more in tune with the universal morphic fields than others. Some people are more sensitive to the change, and we refer to these people as "unwinders". It is speculated that about 20 percent of the human population falls under this title, and I myself am one of those people. You may be one of these people if you feel depressed, and don't know why. Personally, I feel that I have control over nothing. I feel like I have no control of the direction of my life, and nothing I do can make any difference. I feel deep down that something is just not right. It's a very unsettling feeling, and it is true, something is not right. But we've been finding that these people go through a period of depression, just like mine, and come out of it just as fast feeling much better about life. It's about humility really, and acceptance of the change. Unfortunately, the rest of the world doesn't agree with that, and the rest of the world fears change. I'm pretty confident that most of the international conflicts today are a result of this magnetic disturbance. I have the supreme source on that information but it's way to unbelievable for me to be able to explain in this post, but I'll give you a hint: I asked a pendulum. Smile
0 Replies

neil

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 04:53 am
I can belive a pendulum can talk or communicate, but why trust the word of a pendulum over a channeller,politician, college professor or (boo-hiss) lawyer?
0 Replies

JMeert

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 06:36 am
The earth's magnetic has reversed polarity hundreds of times in the past 4.5 billion years. The reversal frequency is chaotic and there appears to be no easily identified periodicity. The last reversal took place ~780,000 years ago during the era of human life. People wondered for a long time if the reversals were tied to extinction, but no such link has been found. Experiments on biomagnetic organisms suggests that they 'reverse' their sensors with the magnetic field and so there is no long term navigation problem for these organisms. A reversal requires somewhere on the order of 5000-10000 years to complete during which the main field decreases in strength and then grows in the opposite sense. Higher order harmonic fields (octupolar and quadrupolar) probably provide sufficient protection from harmful solar radiation. There is considerable disagreement about whether we are in the midst of a reversal. Some point to the decrease of the dipole field in the last century as evidence that the field is in the process of reversing whilst others argue that it is merely part of the normal dynamo and does not signify an imminent reversal.

Cheers

Joe Meert
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 07:28 am
Hi Joe!
I read you are a professor of geology in Florida, specializing in paleo-magnetics... is that right?

Welcome to a2k! Great that you found this thread!
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 08:04 am
New information:

Quote:
According to his study, published today in the journal Nature, the average duration of a reversal is close to 7,000 years. The analysis further suggests that the timescale of the transition differs at various latitudes. During the last polarity shift, approximately 790,000 years ago, sites close to the equator underwent the 180-degree change over the course of 2,000 years, but the process took closer to 10,000 years in midlatitude regions. Data from the three other reversals also support the idea of latitude dependence, Clement reports, though they are not sufficiently complete to draw a firm conclusion.

Magnetic Field Flip-Flop Clocked
0 Replies

JMeert

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 08:06 am
Piffka wrote:
Hi Joe!
I read you are a professor of geology in Florida, specializing in paleo-magnetics... is that right?

Welcome to a2k! Great that you found this thread!

JM: That's correct. Always interested in these things. Thanks for the welcome.

Cheers

Joe Meert
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 08:14 am
reading along
0 Replies

Relative

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 07:16 am
Hello Joe,

you mentioned

Quote:
Higher order harmonic fields (octupolar and quadrupolar) probably provide sufficient protection from harmful solar radiation.

Could you find some time to explain a bit about those? Or give a pointer?

Cheers, Relative
0 Replies