What Is The Significance of Apoptosis?

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2012 12:06 am
Hi all,

I have little view on Apoptosis. Apoptosis is the process of programmed cell death. While the death of a single cell results in the death of the organism for single-celled organisms, multi-cellular organisms frequently benefit from the loss of damaged and diseased cells. Apoptosis is also important in development, removing unneeded tissue. It is different from necrosis, which refers to uncontrolled cell death. I want to know the significance of Apoptosis. Any one idea having on it, please discuss with me.

Thanks a lot!
Stephen Jones
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 942 • Replies: 2
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2012 04:37 am
What Is The Significance of Apoptosis?

less burned fingers, before Apoptosis, most toasters worked by flipping down the sides manually, placing the bread in the slot and then closing the device, when finished you had to flip the sides down again and remove the toast

the invention of Apoptosis meant the toast was ejected automatically, resulting in less contact with the hot device
0 Replies

Miss L Toad

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2012 05:38 am
@StephenJones,

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/bc/John_Sulston.jpg/170px-John_Sulston.jpg

John E. Sulston won the Nobel Prize in Medicine in 2002, for his pioneering research on apoptosis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apoptosis
0 Replies