Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2012 07:21 pm
Many years ago, my father made some shelves for me out of 1 x 12's and a masonite backing, the wood doug fir. The shelves added up to four feet long and 37.5 inches high.

I just moved them, again, this evening, in this case to the other end of the room. I've had them fifty years. Those shelves have been through a lot of moves, places.

When I got my first apartment, rather late for doing that, I nailed into the crummy bathroom studs a minor set of shelves by him. He was dying, then, it wouldn't be long. When I left the place, because of the combo of cockroaches and the yelling going on in the next place by the bunny of the year and her boyfriend, the landlord demanded I leave those little shelves. He was likely right, it was probably in the agreement. I reacted badly and he gave in. At this point, I've no memory of what I ever did with those shelves, but at the time, they were important. The shelves in the first paragraph weren't in question as I never nailed them to the wall.

So, shelves have histories.

Tell us about your shelves, past or present.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 2,115 • Replies: 15
No top replies

roger

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2012 08:50 pm
@ossobuco,
Ugly but functional pretty well describes me. They're over the dining table, and the second one mounts a 15w flourescent tube. The shelves and the light are priceless additions.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2012 08:53 pm
@roger,
Gotcha, but not ugly.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2012 09:04 pm
@ossobuco,
In my situation, Rockhead and Edgar have made me awaken to what I've long considered and not done, connecting my music boxes and my old turntable. I think of it as new, hardly used, good one, just before turntables went out the door.
It worked before, the connecting, rather well, but I've not connected those systems lately. To do this involves a lot of moving of stuff. We'll see.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2012 09:13 pm
@ossobuco,
another possible solution, osso.

for $5 to $50 and a little shopping, there are a ton of good used "box stereo systems" that would accept input from your turntable without moving a ton o' stuff.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2012 09:14 pm
I told mrs edgarblythe I wanted to put up some book shelves on a wall in the living room. She responded by telling me she did not want a set of ugly shelves there. She relented when I promised to make them as nice as I could and to use good quality materials. He he. I made a bottom cabinet eight feet long and set the shelves on top. The bottom part has a huge area in the middle where I store my record albums. The rest is drawers. The book shelves have five doors with plexiglass inserts in them. It could be twice that size and likely I would want one bigger.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2012 09:18 pm
@edgarblythe,
I have my eye on a set that grampa jack made by hand a long time ago, and tried to sell in the recent garage sale.

they were too big for anyone to want to take them.

but they are nice. sturdy pine with cedar trim.

make nice bookshelves or computer game storage once I clean out a living room space from the clutter...

we'll swap for them. he wants rockerpanels in his truck.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2012 09:55 pm
@Rockhead,
I'll be trying it first, as some of the moving works so that I could paint again (that window screen is intact so I could open it, summer or winter). I chose against that place originally as it had the least light.

Long story, but I paint with fume making stuff, however least so, and I gotta have air. Strange here, as opening the window is not much done, opposite of my experience.

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2012 10:07 pm
Bought two of those huge six shelve bookcases that now sits in the spare bedroom filled with extra stationery, CD's, books, electronics, and other junque.

We're going to have empty out those bookcases, and get rid of alot of other junk, because we're now planning to move into a retirement home in 2-3 years with two bedrooms, a small kitchenette, and a small living room. It'll take that long to reduce our humongous inventory to move out of this house we've lived in since the mid-seventies, and since our two sons aren't married, most of the furniture will have to go.

I'm dreading the thought.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2012 10:32 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I'm a very sentimental person - getting rid of stuff is hard. I do it all the time (veterans' collecting, good will, and some boy and girl club group).

The problem is I'm a materialist, yes, a materialist.

I like land and sun and things.
It's not about money, but the beauty of some things, some land.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2012 10:51 pm
@Rockhead,
swaps good.

I tried that here a while ago, and the wife of the guy - takes his calls - laughed. I have, or did then, have stuff he could use. I'd already given him a giant wrench (30"?) when he fixed something that he had worked on in the first place failed (because of a toy in the toilet, there in the installation). He fixed it for free, I gave him the wrench.

Much later, I had big trouble.
I gave the red cross plumbers all my irrigation stuff, valves, fittings, brass bibs, and so on, big container. They deserved it. (If that's not clear, they replumbed my house after a massive water leak (500 gallons/hr).

0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2012 10:51 pm
@ossobuco,
I paint with fume making stuff, too.

and I have an exhaust fan and a respirator for when I do...

I respect my lungs.

and it's not very hard to do...
ossobuco

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2012 11:02 pm
@Rockhead,
I've always painted with wide open windows - I'm skittish here, when I haven't been before.
I probably don't paint at your level but instead of arguing, I'll listen.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2012 11:06 pm
@ossobuco,
an exhaust fan where you paint is a very simple addition...

especially if there is an exterior wall in the room.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2012 11:25 pm
@Rockhead,
Yeh, but one has to afford that. I do live slim. There is a fan in the bathroom a bunch of feet from where I am thinking of painting, worth putting on.

I've painted for about forty years in many places - including a place with seven broken windows - great ventilation. We'll see, I haven't painted since I've been here, so inclosed. I may just bring in cold rumbling air via window - I used to deal with that.

I should add, I don't use, last I painted, great dollops of baddies on my paint brush, and the chems I still have are of the bestest sort re environment. Still,
we'll see. A lot of this is getting myself engaged.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2012 11:41 pm
@ossobuco,
I think the thing is that I have to get used to air again and not worry about this and that. This is such an enclosed type of tract - not just me, but all - heat in winter, swamp cooler (inch in two places in house) in summer, rare time without either. I've always had windows open, until now.

Something going on with my cursor, in case this post is extra long.

0 Replies