Kids and Musical Instruments

ehBeth

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2012 01:59 pm
@MMarciano,
MMarciano wrote:
I have the entire house to myself for a change!

did they take the cat, dogs and tortoises? or will you be walking the tortoises?
MMarciano

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2012 02:17 pm
@ehBeth,
That cat sleeps most of the day, tortoises are out in their pen. Very Happy

I had the dogs napping in their crates, it was HOT today.

They're still not back from Tampa, they bought the piano and are now playing at chuck E cheese Laughing
Rockhead

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2012 02:52 pm
@MMarciano,
they are doing a gig at chucky's...?

that was fast.

(that big rat makes me nervous)
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2012 04:25 pm
@jcboy,
I was a musical dunce.
At age 5 or 6 mother tossed me to the neighbor to learn the piano. Ethel tried, she then had a stroke. I learned mostly nothing.

Age 9 there was an after school program, I was sent to learn violin. Very painful! How do violin players hold those things under their chin? I almost learned Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. The following year I was sent back and tried again. Different teacher, learned how to waste time.

Age 12, I was put in band class and handed a clarinet. I found chewing on the reeds for the mouthpiece quite enjoyable...didn't learn to play the instrument though. Kicked out sent to Chorus, where I was an excellent lip-syncher.

All the above said, if a child wants to learn, I figure let them have a go at it.

Rockhead

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2012 04:43 pm
@Sturgis,
"I was sent to learn violin. Very painful! How do violin players hold those things under their chin? I almost learned Twinkle Twinkle Little Star."

a sponge under the chin helps a lot...

after twinkle came mary and the lamb.

then ravel's bolero, unless my memory is foggy again...

I always wanted to be the sax player.

no dice.
MMarciano

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2012 12:27 pm
@Rockhead,
Antonio has been playing that thing for four straight hours now. Neutral
Keith424

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 11:16 am
@MMarciano,
What time does he nap on the weekends? that's when I'll stop by Laughing
roger

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 12:15 pm
@Keith424,
Oh, Lord. Haven't they set him up with ear phones?
jcboy

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 01:27 pm
@roger,
He has a set but doesn’t like wearing them. We’re thinking of moving it out to the guesthouse then he can play it there all he wants.
roger

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 02:41 pm
@jcboy,
<sigh>
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 02:47 pm
@jcboy,
He needs to get used to wearing the headphones. You can make it a condition of being allowed to play.

Remember: he's the kid.

You are the parents.

MMarciano

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 04:35 pm
@ehBeth,
Antonio claims he can’t play it while wearing the headphones, said he has to hear it in the room. I think it just feels strange to him when he can’t hear anything else while wearing the headphones. Makes him feel uncomfortable.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 04:41 pm
@MMarciano,
You can get him headphones that don't totally block the ambient sound he can hear - it sounds like he might have a set that's a bit more "pro" than he's ready for. Earphones are probably better than headphones for him at this stage.
roger

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 05:43 pm
@ehBeth,
I'm sure any instrument's sound is modified by the room it's played in, but there are other people in the house.

On the other hand, there is this upcoming visit from Debbie.
MMarciano

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 06:12 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

I'm sure any instrument's sound is modified by the room it's played in, but there are other people in the house.

On the other hand, there is this upcoming visit from Debbie.

Four hours of him on the piano and she'll be on the next flight back to CA! Laughing
Butrflynet

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 06:25 pm
@jcboy,
Better make sure the guesthouse has good soundproofing so you don't get complaints from your neighbors!
MMarciano

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 06:27 pm
@Butrflynet,
They probably wouldn't hear anything.

It's in the back and nothing around it. Sounds perfect to me Laughing

I was going nuts yesterday Confused
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 06:32 pm
@MMarciano,
Is there a way to put the sound level down? I don't know a thing about electric (electronic?) pianos. I get what people were saying about having weighted keys, but am not clear that means loud sound on the device when you press the keys. (Maybe it does?) I took piano lessons for four years but had a regular piano and don't remember getting loud until, say, the third or fourth year. On the other hand, that was a long time ago and I may be misremembering.
MMarciano

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 06:55 pm
@ossobuco,
I haven’t figured out how to use that darn thing yet. I’m just happy they’re both in bed. Antonio only played it for an hour tonight.

I can home with some soft earplugs Laughing
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2012 10:49 am
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:
When I was a kid I learned how to play the violin. That was the musical instrument I choose in music class. I was talking to Antonio about what instrument he would like to learn how to play, now he’s only six but he said the piano.

I thought oh good grief, he’ll be banging on piano keys all day if we got one, but then again if that’s what he wants to learn perhaps we should be supportive. Besides if we got one we can always get those soft earplugs and wear them around the house.

What did you play? And what instruments did your children learn to play?
In my youth, I was fairly good at playing the radio;
also pretty good on the phonograph.

David