Wed 26 Sep, 2012 07:16 pm
I'm hoping to experience a nice vacation on my own without my kids. I really enjoy travel and my kids are somewhat seasoned. But I'm just getting back to myself after a rough last few years. Any advice on traveling alone??I'm thinking Paris or Northern Italy. I've been to Italy before but with a friend and our daughters who were 12 at the time. I've seen some of the major sites but am hoping to see small towns in Italy but I've also been dreaming of seeing Paris. I think I could spend an entire day at the Louve.
Would either location be a good, safe choice?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 2,026 • Replies: 5
Topic Closed
No top replies

Foofie

Wed 26 Sep, 2012 08:04 pm
@carolgreen616,
carolgreen616 wrote:

I'm hoping to experience a nice vacation on my own without my kids. I really enjoy travel and my kids are somewhat seasoned. But I'm just getting back to myself after a rough last few years. Any advice on traveling alone??I'm thinking Paris or Northern Italy. I've been to Italy before but with a friend and our daughters who were 12 at the time. I've seen some of the major sites but am hoping to see small towns in Italy but I've also been dreaming of seeing Paris. I think I could spend an entire day at the Louve.
Would either location be a good, safe choice?

In my opinion, you could travel with a group, and feel 100% safer. Again in my opinion, Americans are not exactly loved by everyone in the world today, not just the obvious countries one would avoid. Plus, Americans have an image of being Little Orphan Annie's Daddy Warbucks, in my opinion.

Whatever affiliations you have, be they religious or secular, could possibly direct you to a group that is going wherever you want?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Mon 8 Oct, 2012 08:36 pm
@carolgreen616,
http://lifeforum.conforums.com/index.cgi?board=forum&action=display&num=1348708481

you're starting to spam that other forum as well with your German wedding dress links

http://cmtk3.webring.org/l/rd?ring=crossroadsandcro;id=4;url=http%3A%2F%2Flifeforum.conforums.com%2Findex.cgi%3Faction%3Dviewprofile%26username%3Dcarolgreen616
0 Replies

AbelardBalthasar

Mon 12 Nov, 2012 01:17 am
@carolgreen616,
Good wishes to everyone,

Backpacking around Europe can be just as safe, and just as much fun, as traveling with your dearest friend. Just follow these tips, and you, too, can have an awesome backpacking trip.

Think Europe: If it's your first time traveling alone, backpacking Europe is the way to go. Europe is steeped in history, and offers some of the world's most breath taking sights and sublime works of art. Europe has an efficient public-transportation infrastructure, and its far-reaching network of youth hostels means you will never want for a place to rest your head. Europe is also largely modernized and fairly safe.

Find your Inner Social Butterly: Don't be shy when you get to the hostel. I travel alone frequently, and when I walk into a hostel lounge, I don't see a crowd of strangers; I see a group of brand new friends! Once you've settled in, just walk right up to someone, introduce yourself, and start making conversation. Be confident; don't worry that the people you meet will think you are weird, because they won't.

Find a Nightime Buddy: If you go out at night, take someone with you, and make sure you return together. This should be a snap if you've followed Tip 2. Going out in groups not only offers you some protection, it also helps ensure that you will find your way back. If you do get lost (which is half the fun), at least you won't be lost alone. But never lose track of your fellow hostellers, even if you make new friends on your night out; remember, they're placing their trust in you, just as you're placing your trust in them.

Be Alert: Especially when in transit. Train and bus stations, as well as crowded tourist areas, are rife with pickpockets. Be aware of your surroundings and try to notice if anyone is watching or following you; this is a sign they could be thinking about robbing you. (Usually, just noticing them will make them look for easier prey). While in transit, secure your luggage by locking or tying it to a rack. Making your pack more difficult to carry away discourages thieves. Keep your most valuable possessions - passport, credit cards, train tickets and cash - in a money belt, or ask the receptionist at your hostel to lock them in a safe. Carry the cash you plan to spend that day, along with your other necessaries, in a day pack or bag. Always carry your bag in front of you, where you can see it, and always keep it closed. Bags should be worn so that the strap crosses your chest. While in transit, keep your valuables on your person.

Thanks And Regards,
Abelard Balthasar
0 Replies

Montana Marla

Mon 26 Nov, 2012 09:20 pm
@carolgreen616,
Hello Community,

Traveling alone in Europe can be intimidating. Women particularly may have concerns about personal safety. Luckily, there are things you can do to make it easier, such as learning some of the local language and making copies of all your important travel documents, which will make traveling alone in Europe no more worrisome than being alone at home and while you may be alone at first, there is nothing to stop you from meeting people and making friends. Plan your route. Consider where in Europe you would like to go and for how long. Don't be intimidated by traveling alone for an extended period. You will always be able to make friends along the way. If you hope to see multiple countries, remember to allow yourself enough time in each country to really absorb the culture. Consider getting a Eurail pass that allows you rail travel in multiple countries and make sure that you understand the visa requirements for those countries. Most EU countries are part of the Schengen Agreement, meaning it's unlikely you will need a visa, however, countries like Cyprus are still not part of the agreement.

Best Regards,
Montana Marla
ossobuco

Mon 26 Nov, 2012 09:22 pm
@Montana Marla,
May the bird of paradise direct your travels.
0 Replies