Notifications Quack-religious leader? does it mean "both an unqualified doctor and a religious leade

contrex

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2012 04:28 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:
I consider it a clumsy and rather ugly mistake.

I think we will have to agree to disagree. I personally think it is neither clumsy nor ugly, and not a mistake. I believe I have provided good evidence that its use outside of a strict medical sense has been sanctioned by dictionaries for more than 250 years (Johnson 1755) and that it is still (OED 2012). In any case, even though 'quack' on its own with no contradicting context is widely understood to probably mean a fake doctor, a 'quack-something' is also widely understood to mean a fake something.

Regarding the way words change, would you say that it is ugly and mistaken to describe someone as a bank clerk, because 'clerk' used to mean an ordained priest in Chaucer's time?
McTag

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2012 05:06 am
@contrex,

Quote:
and that it is still (OED 2012).

It is? I have consulted mine, admittedly not 2012, and you get to meaning #4 before you even get as far away from medical practice as "charlatan". And that's not very far.
contrex

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2012 05:28 am
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p29/badoit/Quack.jpg
McTag

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2012 07:41 am
@contrex,

Thank you. That entry could have been more tightly written, imho. As I noted earlier, some textbooks are a bit unsatisfactory at times.
But still mainly and firmly in the medical field, you will agree.
McTag

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2012 08:00 am

This is interesting, and vaguely related, but I daresay the link will not open for those outside the UK:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19670686

Britishisms and the Britishisation of American English
By Cordelia Hebblethwaite, BBC News, Washington DC

Quote:
There is little that irks British defenders of the English language more than Americanisms, which they see creeping insidiously into newspaper columns and everyday conversation. But bit by bit British English is invading America too.

"Spot on - it's just ludicrous!" snaps Geoffrey Nunberg, a linguist at the University of California at Berkeley.

"You are just impersonating an Englishman when you say spot on."

"Will do - I hear that from Americans. That should be put into quarantine," he adds.

And don't get him started on the chattering classes - its overtones of a distinctly British class system make him quiver.

But not everyone shares his revulsion at the drip, drip, drip of Britishisms - to use an American term - crossing the Atlantic.

& etc
contrex

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2012 08:45 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Thank you. That entry could have been more tightly written, imho. As I noted earlier, some textbooks are a bit unsatisfactory at times.
But still mainly and firmly in the medical field, you will agree.

Typically, it says, and I agree with that, but that does not mean exclusively. Or "firmly". Anyhow, what does it matter? I mean this in a nice way, but watch out you don't get as OCD as the other bloke.

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2012 08:54 am
@McTag,
Quote:
It is? I have consulted mine, admittedly not 2012, and you get to meaning #4 before you even get as far away from medical practice as "charlatan". And that's not very far.

Meaning #4 doesn't mean that it is any less a meaning, McTag. Again, admittedly there seems to be a difference between NaE and BrE, although, it is obvious from Contrex's offerings that it has long ago been expanded to include other meanings.
contrex

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2012 09:54 am
You might as well say that it is "wrong" to employ phrases like media whore, attention junkie, grammar nazi, grammar police, etc.

Ceili

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2012 10:27 am
@McTag,
Thanks for the article McTag.
Canada fits right in between. A lot of the phrases on that list would regularly be used here, or at least by my family so maybe my ear is tainted. We've kept our u's, but some of the other spelling was right on the mark.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2012 10:40 am
@McTag,
Quote:
Britishisms and the Britishisation of American English
By Cordelia Hebblethwaite,

Cordelia Hebblethwaite, I daresay that's one bloody fine example right there. Smile
JTT

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2012 10:45 am
@contrex,
Excellent point, C.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2012 03:27 pm
@JTT,

Quote:
Cordelia Hebblethwaite, I daresay that's one bloody fine example right there. Smile

That's a cracker, to be sure. Maybe a nom-de-plume?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2012 03:33 pm
@contrex,

Quote:
You might as well say that it is "wrong" to employ phrases like media whore, attention junkie, grammar nazi, grammar police, etc.

Neologisms have their place, quite right, but one was in the first instance trying to advise a foreign questioner.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2012 03:41 pm
@JTT,

Quote:
it has long ago been expanded to include other meanings.

I don't agree with that. Usage today is quite different from that in 1775, is it not. I'm as keen on etymology as the next man, but I think the available evidence does not bear out your and contrex' contention.
JTT

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2012 03:53 pm
@McTag,
Quote:
but I think the available evidence does not bear out your and contrex' contention.

I'll defer to Contrex to argue the BrE position, but for NaE, the indications are clear.
0 Replies