R.I.P. Andy Williams

jcboy

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 08:23 am
Sad news to report from the music world: Legendary singer Andy Williams died Tuesday night.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/publicist-emmy-winning-tv-host-moon-river-crooner-andy-williams-died-article-1.1168520

Quote:
Andy Williams dead at 84: Emmy-winning TV host and 'Moon River' crooner loses battle with bladder cancer
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 1,345 • Replies: 10

jcboy

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 08:29 am
@jcboy,
I loved breakfast at tiffany's and this song!

0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 08:31 am
Oh, so sad.

0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 09:18 am
What a loss. I remember listening to Andy as a very little girl. In fact, he was my first crush on an entertainer other than Captain Kangaroo. To this day, when I am alone and feeling sad, I'll listen to his music and feel enveloped in his soothing voice.

Not many of these guys are left now.... We're losing them way too quickly.
Ragman

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 09:34 am
@Butrflynet,
In my youth, I watched his show as much as I watched Ed Sullivan Show. Maybe it was on his show I first saw The Muppets and many other entertainers for the first time?

He sure seemed like a decent, gentle man. Andy ... may you RIP.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 09:43 am
@Butrflynet,
Crush on Captain Kangeroo - you were a weird little child. But still better than having a crush on Mr. Green Jeans.
Ragman

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 09:59 am
@Linkat,
... or Mr. Moose?
jcboy

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 10:03 am
@Ragman,
He was one of my dad’s favorites!

Mr. Williams lived a good long life.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 11:55 am
I love Andy best for singing this song at Robert F. Kennedy's funeral
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2012 10:07 pm
@edgarblythe,
From Wikipedia:

Quote:
Despite his association with those Democratic candidates, Williams later said he was a lifelong Republican.[16] In 2009 he was quoted by the Daily Telegraph as accusing President Barack Obama of "following Marxist theory" and "wanting the country to fail".[17][18] He gave Rush Limbaugh permission to use his recording of the song "Born Free" for the theme to the "Animal Rights Update" on Limbaugh's radio show — in which a portion of the song is then followed by gunfire — saying "Hey, it's fine with me. I love what you're doing with it." The record company later blocked Limbaugh's use of the recording.[19]

A hell of a guy, and he introduced the world to The Osmond Family! (All of whom will be voting for Romney)
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2012 04:38 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
He sang a moving Battle Hymn of the Republic at Robert Kennedy's funeral. A very human thing to do. Even if a Republican, he never went public and said that rape victims cannot get pregnant or that airplane windows ought to roll down.
0 Replies