help me and answer my question please

Noran

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2012 01:44 pm
if you are comparing two set of turnaround time (TAT) data that both have a
median of 35 minutes, but one has a mean TAT of 45 minutes whereas the other is 28minutes,what might help you resolve the difference?

1-The 90th percentile for both set of TAT data

2-The standard deviation of both sets of TAT data

3- The variance of both sets of TAT sata

4-Correct the median for the number of observation (N), and calculate the
standard deviation of the mean.

5-Apply chebyshev's inequality to the standard deviation, and use the Rule of 2s
to determine whether the TAT is significantly different

please tell me what is the correct answer
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 852 • Replies: 3
No top replies

engineer

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2012 04:33 pm
@Noran,
I'd go with number 1. (Note that numbers 2 and three are exactly the same since standard deviation is just the square root of variance.) The reason mean and median vary so much is that the distribution is skewed. Seeing the 90th percentiles will show you if it is skewed by outliers or if the entire distribution is skewed.
Noran

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2012 11:07 am
@engineer,
thanx
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2012 11:49 am
I'd go with 5)

You know that the distribution of at least one of the TATs is skewed, but you don't know which one (both?). Comparing the two distributions can be done by applying Chebyshev's rule (at least 75% of the data will fall within +/- 2SD of the mean ) and then use Fisher's Rule of Two (Fisher imposed a Rule of Two: if a result departs from an assumed hypothesis by two or more standard deviations of its own sampling variation, regardless of the size of the prize and the expected cost of going for it, then it is to be called a "significant" scientific finding. If not, not. Fisher told the subjectivity-phobic sciences that if they wanted to raise their studies "to the rank of sciences" they must employ his Rule. He later urged them to ignore the size-matters/how-much approaches of Gosset, Neyman, Egon Pearson, Wald, Jeffreys, Deming, Shewhart, and Savage. Most statistical scientists listened to Fisher.) reference
0 Replies