Plagerism Questions

aarian

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2012 05:55 pm
Hi guys,

I was hoping you could assist me in answering the following question.

In my assignment I refered to the ACCC as being the source of where my information was dervied from I.e. According to the ACCC......but did not actually put in a citation note. Is my intext referencing enough or should I ask to resbumit my assignment?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,076 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Zarathustra

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2012 06:39 pm
@aarian,
Using either the APA or Chicago Manual of Style you must always provide a full reference on the reference page for anything referenced in the body of your document. This is to allow readers to have enough information that they can look up the original source document.

The references that only appear in the body of your paper are those of personal correspondence or interview. These do not have corresponding entries on the reference page as there are no source documents per se to view.

Since you made an effort to provide a reference this doesn’t relate to plagiarism.
aarian

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2012 07:38 pm
@Zarathustra,
Thankyou for putting me out of my misery - I am usually very good with referencing but it was an oversight on my behalf.
Once again much appreciated for the detailed response
Zarathustra

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2012 08:26 pm
@aarian,
No problem. Even at the graduate level some of my students are afraid to use material from others; mostly because of misguided plagiarism fears. It is good to remember one easy way to write a stronger paper is to include information from authoritative sources that support your own ideas, just make sure to reference them.

Here is where I send my students to review APA referencing standards. Just pick the type of material and follow the format shown.

http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/560/01/
0 Replies