Science And Nature Books

Pitter

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2012 04:50 pm
I wonder if anyone has any good suugestions for science and nature books. One I am just finishing up is One River by Wade Davis. It deals with quite a collection of themes including botony, coca and hallucinogenic drugs, Colombian history and a seventies road trip through South America among others.

Some others I have recently read and enjoyed greatly are The Darwinian Tourist, Animal Dialogs, After The Ice, The Future Eaters, Waiting For The Macaws, Summer World, Winter World, and Life On A Young Planet. Reccomend all of them to anyone with a similar interest.

djjd62

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2012 04:59 pm
an oldie but goodie is the Ascent of Man by Jacob Bronowski

it was conceived as a documentary tv series, but the book is quite good

here's a summary of the tv episodes, without getting my copy out, i believe they equate to the chapters in the book

Series outline

Lower than the Angels — Evolution of man from proto-ape to the modern form 400,000 years ago.
The Harvest of the Seasons — Early human migration, agriculture and the first settlements, and war.
The Grain in the Stone — Tools, and the development of architecture and sculpture.
The Hidden Structure — Fire, metals and alchemy.
Music of the Spheres — The language of numbers and mathematics.
The Starry Messenger — Galileo's universe--and the implications of his trial on the shift to "northern" science.
The Majestic Clockwork — Explores Newton and Einstein's laws.
The Drive for Power — The Industrial Revolution and the effect on everyday life.
The Ladder of Creation — Darwin and Wallace's ideas on the origin of species.
World within World — The story of the periodic table--and of the atom.
Knowledge or Certainty — Physics and the clash of the pursuit of absolute vs. imperfect knowledge, and the misgivings of the scientists realizing the terrible outcome of the conflict. Auschwitz. Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
Generation upon Generation — The joys of life, sex, and genetics--and the dark side of cloning.
The Long Childhood — Bronowski's treatise on the commitment of man.
farmerman

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2012 05:06 pm
@djjd62,
The Poisoners Handbook A brief history of Forensic sciences in the US.

0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2012 05:31 am
Thank you, interesting suggestions.
farmerman

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2012 05:42 am
@Pitter,
An older but a good one for one who lives in sub tropica is Dave Quammens The Song of the Dodo Its a popular science look t island biogeography and speculates about the evolution of unique spewcies on islands (and around cave systems)
Pitter

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2012 08:25 pm
@farmerman,
Thanks farmerman, another good suggestion.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2012 08:54 pm
@Pitter,
Anything at all written by Loren Eiseley, anthropologist extraordinaire who, during his lifetime (he died in 1977) was awarded more than 30 honorary degrees! Terrific writer.
Pitter

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 11:43 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Thanks for that, will check him out.
0 Replies