Those Evil Ouija Boards

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 09:45 pm
HISTORY OF THE OUIJA BOARD
While automatic writing was being embraced by mediums, those who satisfied their curiosity about the spirit world in the "home circles" were also searching for a more efficient way to reach the other side than by rapping on tables.

In 1853, a French Spiritualist named M. Planchette (according the to the stories anyway -- it should be noted that "planchette" in French translates to "little plank", making this story a little dubious) invented a device that could do much more than tap on the table. The "planchette" was a small, heart-shaped table with pencils attached to its legs. Those who used it claimed that it operated by spirit force and ghosts were able to write out messages from beyond. The invention was often used by the mediums as a more elaborate form of automatic writing, but it really did not hold wide appeal for the general public.

However, a short time later, another invention would come along that could be used by everyone. No experience was required and no real psychic skills were needed. This new device would revolutionize the Spiritualist movement and have an impact that still resounds today. The Ouija board was born.

Shortly after the planchette came to America, a cabinet and coffin maker from Maryland named E.C. Reiche created a new method of communicating with the dead. He devised a wooden lap tray with the letters of the alphabet arranged in two lines across the center of the board. Below these letters, he placed the numbers 1-10 and the words YES and NO in each lower corner of the board. He used the planchette with his board but removed the pencil tips and placed wooden pegs on the bottom of it. In this way, the planchette was free to move about the board.

It was always believed that Reiche named his board the "Ouija" because the name represented the French and German words for "yes" (oui and ja) but this was not the case. He named it that because he believed that the word "Ouija" was actually Egyptian for luck. Needless to say, it's not, but since he claimed to receive the word from a spirit on the board, the name stuck.

But Reiche was more interested in spirits than making money and he sold the invention to his friend, Charles Kennard, who soon founded the Kennard Novelty Co. with borrowed money and began producing the first commercial Ouija boards around 1886. The first patent for a "talking board" was filed on May 28, 1890 and listed Charles Kennard and William H. A. Maupin, both of Baltimore, as the assignees.

Shortly after the company started, the shop manager, William Fuld, decided to go into business for himself. He forced Kennard out of the business and changed the name to the Ouija Novelty Co. He began producing the "Fuld's Talking Board" in record numbers and became a successful businessman. He was a member of the Baltimore General Assembly in later life and remained in control of the company for the next 35 years. Finally, in 1927, during a brief slump in sales, Fuld strangely took his own life. He climbed to the top of a Baltimore building and jumped to his death. Other versions of the story have it that Fuld died accidentally while supervising the replacement of a flag pole on top of the building. A support post that he was holding onto gave way and he plunged to his death. This is likely the more accurate version of events, although Fuld committing suicide gave the Ouija an eerie taint over the years.

The Ouija Board was anything but a curse to Fuld's company though. It became the most successful talking board manufacturer of all time, selling millions of boards as well as other toys and games. Fuld had created a new industry with the Ouija board, which he claimed to have invented himself. He started the apocryphal tales of the naming of the board (using oui and ja) and claimed many of his successful sales plans came from the board itself.

His heirs maintained the company until 1966, when they sold out to Parker Brothers. This company, also known for their success with toys and especially board games, produced not only reproductions of the Fuld board but also made a deluxe wooden edition of the board for a time. They hold all of the patents and trademarks to the board today and they still produce it in large numbers. In spite of the fact that it is now sold in toy stores, it remains a near duplicate (albeit a more cheaply made one) of the Spiritualist board that was sold many years ago.

I decided to start this thread because today a woman I know very well began discussing ghosts and the like with two other persons, all believers. She and another woman traded tales of Ouija Board use. Her tale was something like this, missing some details because I was too busy being incredulous to ask questions: Some young people were using a Ouija and one asked to speak with his dead grandfather. The woman telling the tale said she was in another part of the house and had no knowledge of what was going on. She heard the youngsters making a commotion, obviously distressed. When she went in the television was purportedly still playing even though its cord lay on the floor, not connected. When the youngsters told of calling on the grandfather, the woman realized the man's presence had come into her home. She told the presence to leave, told it it had no right of entry, since it was her home, not of the young man who had called on him. The television quit playing. She had the youngsters feverishly praying the whole time. Since then the dangerous Ouija game is not allowed in her home. The woman recounted a story equally as incredulous. I left out of there to avoid getting drawn into an argument over such things. I will be back in a minute with a link to the site that I took the history from.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,564 • Replies: 49
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 09:46 pm
http://www.prairieghosts.com/ouija.html
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 10:18 pm
We had a Ouija Board in our house when I was a kid. I never cared to play because my brother would always push the slider (or what ever it was called) and make his own answers. At first I really thought that it was quite scary, until I learned his trick. From then on, I could never trust playing this game with anyone else.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 10:39 pm
I played with one with my brother. After asking questions and waiting a long time, but recieving no answers, we both got the idea to slide the piece around at the same time. It became a mini struggle for a few moments, then we abandoned the board forever.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 11:30 pm
I was brought up to think they were E V I L !
I bought one at a flea market a few months ago for a buck. I have a huge tickle truck, a closet full of halloween stuff. I haven't been cursed thus far.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 11:40 pm
OOH
You're treading on thin ice.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 11:44 pm
I know, I'm shakin' like a leaf.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 11:46 pm
Better burn it at the stake before you go to bed tonight.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 11:48 pm
Anyone for a game of Jumanji?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 11:56 pm
I'll stick with Old Maid.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 12:16 am
wink, wink, nudge, nudge....
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 05:48 am
I was always afraid of that damn thing, so I never got one, lol. What a scardy cat I am.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 06:49 am
Who needs a Ouija board when mail-order Delphic oracles are so easily obtainable these days? Okay, I made that up.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 10:22 am
During the discussion I recounted at the thread opening one of the women told how she thought only idiots could believe Ouija boards had any special power. She told how some people were using one in her presence and she said she thought one of the players was moving it around. They assured her it was the Ouija. Then she put her hand to it and it flew off the board, making her a believer. The talk moved on to ghosts. The woman told of being in a mobile home with five other people. They heard the scraping footprints first. Then the ghost turned her head to look at them. That's when they were able to see her face and to follow her progress as she went the length of the mobile home then left. The other woman told of her husband seeing the ghost of her first husband a few times, plus another tale of how at the dead husband's funeral his ghost caused several key autos to fail to run. I felt as though I were suddenly in the early middle ages, not the new milinneum, as the man who was there told how he had lain in bed nude attempting to conjur the spirit of his dead mother. He felt hair whisk across his body, scaring him out of it.
They insinuate that I am too stubborn to look at this stuff objectively and that their personal encounters prove the truth of tgheir words. I try not to argue. But I am deeply disappointed in these people. I thought they were at least a tad more enlightened than this.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 11:23 am
Why would anyone lie around nude waiting for their mom, sounds as if they are pretty cracked bunch 'o' people. First mistake was the trailer. Any story starting like that, run...
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 11:43 am
We had one when I was a kid. Nieve that we were I guess (there were eight of us) we thought it was a GAME and used to play with it often, howling with laughter at the results. No ghosts ever showed up.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 01:45 pm
Once upon a time in the '70' when I found myself Single Again, I was an active member of Parents Without Partners. I offered to host a "Games Night", figuring on bridge, canasta, Scrabble.....

One woman brought a well seasoned Ouija board and her own table. By and large the scoffers and skeptics were well behaved. This was fortunate. One Ouija novice insisted on hogging the board and the questions. Several other believers pouted loudly. Worse of all was a woman who was convinced the Ouija board was a Tool of the Devil and that she was going to be struck by the thunderbolt that was due to arrive any minute.

People!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 02:48 pm
I mentioned some of this to my wife. She said, paraphrasing, my sister has a ghost in her house. She said she saw a shadow move down the hall. She thought it was her husband's shadow until she saw him in a different part of the house. He said, I saw it too but I wasn't going to say anything because I didn't want you thinking I was crazy. Their ghost tale began when they began to hear noises and found small items moved. It had already been pointed out that their house sits on a fault line by the time they saw the ghost, but, once the ghostes begin to get to you facts no longer matter.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2004 04:28 pm
The other day I was sitting in the office while a few women were talking about various events, mainly the sort of stuff I ignore. But my ear caught the one that claims to be a witch saying, "I said to myself, 'Call me a liar, eh?' I took some fairy dust and blew it down the stair on him and said, 'Warts on his dick' three times. His wife told me it started on the end, just a red spot. Now he's got three." This was perfectly acceptable to the other women, as if she had said something as ordinary as, "I kicked his ass for calling me a liar." I left out of there very quickly.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2004 09:20 pm
cavfancier wrote:
Who needs a Ouija board when mail-order Delphic oracles are so easily obtainable these days? Okay, I made that up.

Damn! That sounds lie a fine business idea for my rapidly approaching dotage.

Get high, and answer people's stupid questions in impenetrable verse!!!

I can SO do that.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Those Evil Ouija Boards
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 03:47:24