What is the problem with me?

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2012 05:09 am
I am 18 year old girl and totally confused about my life. I feel like I am in depression. My family problems are huge. I am the youngest of my family. But as i am getting older my responsibility is increasing and some where deep down i think i am scared of all this. I have some very very important exams coming and i can't focus. i am fat and want to lose weight. Whenever i sit to study i just think of either changing my diet or doing exercise which i don't do regularly. I also think about my mom and dad a lot and pray to Almighty that my mom and dad can always smile. Cause they faced a lot of problem and i don't want them to face anymore problems. I know i need to focus now but i can't so what can i do ?

jespah

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2012 06:42 am
@neautral,
You feel like the weight of the world's on your shoulders, eh?

I think similar things happen to people who are at transitional points in their lives. And age 18 is pretty much the definition of the transition, as you are either ending High School or starting college or vocational school or work. There's a lot on your plate right now!

One thing I want you to understand is that you are not responsible for how your folks feel, or how they confront their own problems. I know that you care but, ultimately, they need to live their lives. And you have to kind of let what happens, happens, with the caveat of course that anything dangerous or truly self-destructive is when you should intervene (it's hard to tell what the issue specifically is from the paragraph you wrote). But offspring are not responsible for their parents' divorces, jobs or mortgages.

The thing with exercising is that it doesn't have to be anything structured or formal. You can just go out for a walk. Does your family have a dog, or does a neighbor - you could volunteer to walk the dog. Do you have a bike you could ride, or rollerblades or the like? It doesn't have to be a gym and everything that that entails. Moving your body is important, but it's not something that has to be a big production. Perhaps there are intramural sports you could do at school?

As for diet, that, too, doesn't have to be hugely formal or difficult. Probably the easiest thing to do is follow three rules -
1) Only eat one plate or bowl of food/meal.
2) Drink at least eight 8-ounce glasses of water/day. If you need to have iced tea or Crystal Light flavoring in them (I know I do), then do so.
3) Make at least two out of the three meals you eat in any given day. That doesn't mean heating up a frozen dinner or getting take out or going out for fast food.. It means you make an omelet, or a sandwich, or pasta or you put cereal in a bowl or you help Mom or Dad with dinner.

As for your feelings of depression, those are more serious. Is there a trusted adult you could talk to about that? Your parents? A teacher? A member of the clergy? Your doctor? A guidance counselor at school? Depression is a very real disease but fortunately it can be treated. It's like any other way you take care of yourself - seek out someone to talk to. We will be more than happy to listen here but we are not right there in the same room with you, and I get the feeling you need that.

Hang in there. I remember 18 sucking. I'm 50 now. This, too, shall pass. You can get through this.
neautral

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2012 07:52 am
@jespah,
@jespah
Thank you very much for reading my story and also giving me some advise. I really need some support. I don't have anyone to share my feelings . that is why i am using this forum to help myself out. Thanks again Smile
jespah

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2012 01:27 pm
@neautral,
Come back any time; we're open 24/7. 'Course in the middle of the night, you get the Australians. They're nice people. Smile
MeraNaamJoker

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 03:03 am
@jespah,
I'm agree with you@ jespah "Australians really good peoples"
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 02:12 pm
@neautral,
Jespah's advice was really good.

I'll add a few things about depression :
- regular activity (lets not necessarily call it exercise) is proven to help battle depression.
- Being outdoors is much better than being indoors
- skip the energy drinks - they screw with a stable energy level, because after the energy rush, comes the energy low
- TV is a cure for boredom or stress, not depression

- Self Esteem removes major sources that contribute to depression (and boosting your sense of worth & assurance helps increase your happiness)
- finding Meaning in your activities helps boost your happiness levels (meaning can be found in almost anything : cleaning - as I clean, I am creating a welcoming and warm home)
- Learning skills you can be proud of increases happiness (even if it is something as simple as telling great jokes, being a funny mimic, singing, dancing, drawing, always being positive, being supportive, being a good listener..etc)
- Learning what makes you happy is something you should take the time to discover (don't make the mistake of so many who don't differentiate between pleasure, happiness, and highs - you can experience both pleasure and highs without being happy) - then be & do what makes you happy
- be true to yourself and your values / stand up for yourself & your values
- When you are more assured of yourself - start letting other people see who you are - even the parts that you feel vulnerable to reveal (of course, start with the easiest things first, and work your way up)...being able to be completely genuine with people enhances your happiness, the meaning in your life, and your sense of self assurance.

Most of all, strive to grow, each and every day (see a challenge to grow in difficult experiences, see a chance to improve in everything you are good at)

Hope it helps some.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 03:00 pm
There is nothing "wrong" with you. You are responding appropriately for the sucky situation(s) that you are in - plus you are young and don't have coping skills developed yet to deal with all the looniness there is around you.

Finda a healthy adult mentor to help you sort all this out. Learn to live your own life. And don't do a sanity check with your family or relatives.

Good luck.
0 Replies