Computer Parental Controls

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2012 10:10 am
Okay so I’m not the most knowledgeable when it comes to computers. Our son is six years old and has his own computer with Internet. He uses it mostly for games and educational programs we purchased for him. However it does have Internet access and we have book marked certain sites, all kid sites, game playing etc.

The problem is he has gotten so good at using the Internet he will click on just about anything.

My question is, can I book mark sites for him and somehow block everything else?

Thank you in advance.

View best answer, chosen by MMarciano
Keith424

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2012 12:43 pm
@MMarciano,
I don’t know of a way of doing it on your computer but there are parental control software you can buy. Do a search online, there are quite a few, check the reviews.
ossobuco
  Selected Answer

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2012 12:50 pm
@Keith424,
I'm mostly a computer dummy but I thought I remembered something about that in my computer system preferences. And yep, it's there, in the System category of System preferences. I've an iMac. I've no idea if there is similar with other pcs.

Neither do I know if that is adequate as a control - but, Marco, if your son is using a mac, that's something to check out.
MMarciano

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2012 12:59 pm
@ossobuco,
Thanks Keith,

And thanks Osso! I found it by your post, just now trying to figure it out but this is what I found on his PC, going to play around with it a bit. He's become to computer literate lately I don't want him viewing stuff he shouldn't be.

Set up Parental Controls

You can use Parental Controls to help manage how your children use the computer. For example, you can set limits on your children's access to the web, the hours that they can log on to the computer, and which games they can play and programs they can run.

When Parental Controls blocks access to a webpage or game, a notification is displayed that the webpage or program has been blocked. Your child can click a link in the notification to request permission for access to that webpage or program. You can allow access by entering your account information.

Before you get started, make sure that each child that you want to set up Parental Controls for has a standard user account because Parental Controls can only be applied to standard user accounts. To set up Parental Controls for your child, you'll need an Administrator user account. Parental Controls cannot be applied to an Administrator user account. For more information about user accounts and setting them up, see What is a user account?

To turn on Parental Controls for a standard user account
Click to open Parental Controls. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Click the standard user account for which you want to set Parental Controls.

Under Parental Controls, click On.

Once you've turned on Parental Controls for your child's standard user account, you can adjust the individual settings that you want to control. You can control the following areas:

Web restrictions. You can restrict the websites that children can visit, make sure children only visit age-appropriate websites, indicate whether you want to allow file downloads, and set up which content you want the content filters to block and allow. You can also block or allow specific websites. For more information, see Limit the content that children can view on the web.

Time limits. You can set time limits to control when children are allowed to log on to the computer. Time limits prevent children from logging on during the specified hours and, if they are already logged on, they will be automatically logged off. You can set different logon hours for every day of the week. For more information, see Control when children can use the computer.

Games. You can control access to games, choose an age rating level, choose the types of content you want to block, and decide whether you want to allow or block unrated or specific games. For more information, see Specify which games children can play.

Allow or block specific programs. You can prevent children from running programs that you don't want them to run. For more information, see Prevent children from using specific programs.

See also
Set up Parental Controls activity reports
ossobuco

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2012 01:10 pm
@MMarciano,
Well, that's all confusing to me, starting with the child being able to request access (huh?) but others here will show up and help.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2012 01:14 pm
@MMarciano,
There is in open DNS free or I think it free parent control function and you do not need to install any software on the computer.

The filtering is done when the computer ask for the location of a website by name, as when you type in a name or clink on a link the computer ask the DNS server for the number that is similar to a phone number so it can go there.

All you need to do is set up an account at open DNS http://www.opendns.com and then set your bowser to used the the opneDNS service instead of your cable company default DNS.

There is detail instruction for doing so.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2012 01:15 pm
@MMarciano,
Has Antonio informed u of his views on censorship ?
EqualityFLSTPete

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2012 02:53 pm
@BillRM,
That's the one I set up on my son's computer. Works great!
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2012 02:57 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:

Yes six years olds should have full adult rights and no protections from their parents and care givers.
nextone

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2012 03:16 pm
@MMarciano,
I'm sort of mind-boggled by six year olds with computers, but I know there are a lot of electronic gizmos out there for infants on up. Can't offer any technical advice, and saw that several people already offered same. What I would suggest is that you put your son's computer in a family space where you can keep an eye on what he's accessing.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2012 07:55 pm
@nextone,
The guy (a kind of god to me) who fixed my computer recently, not agreeing with the Mac store diagnosis and slapping my mac together, tut tutted me about having an old piece of ****, which is true. So, never trust me.

But - keep looking and don't just take the first stuff you see. Keep reading up.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2012 08:52 pm
@BillRM,

DAVID wrote:
BillRM wrote:

Yes six years olds should have full adult rights
"Equal protection of the laws" well said, Bill: yes!

BillRM wrote:
and no protections from their parents and care givers.
We all need our protections; u have yours. I have mine.

David
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2012 08:58 pm
@ossobuco,
That was meant for Marco.
MMarciano

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2012 09:49 am
@ossobuco,
Thanks for all the help.

I was able to set myself as the admin, which you need a password to log in. Antonio can just click on his name and log in but can only get to the sites we have book marked for him! Only took me four hours to figure that out lol.
BillRM

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2012 09:55 am
@MMarciano,
Never hear of that ability build into any browser so if you do not mind what OS and what browser are you talking about?
ehBeth

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2012 10:33 am
@BillRM,
It's built into Windows7 if nowhere else.

control panel - user accounts and family safety - set up parental controls for any user
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2012 11:12 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

control panel - user accounts and family safety - set up parental controls for any user
I will admit: there WERE times
that I wanted better control of my parents. The computer figures out how to get it ?
roger

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2012 12:00 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Heh Heh Heh!
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2012 06:55 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:

EhBeth come to think of it if you set the DNS server to a null address and then places the websites you only wish someone to be able to go to in the host file you could get the same effects with windows systems that predate window 7.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 10:55 pm
Quote:
never to post personal information online and never to meet anyone in person that they’ve met online.

Hmm if I had but followed that advice today would not be my six years wedding anniversary ok you just proven your point never meet anyone in person that you met first on line. Drunk