A dumpster full of books..... :(

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2012 11:10 am
@spendius,
Quote:
It's not only e-books that can be changed. Any edition apart from the first might be.

this is true, and comparing the different editions is something that gets lost with e-books I believe. even the authors likely like this, as early edition stuff which turns out to be massively wrong can be vanished with out a trace.
BillRM

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2012 12:40 pm
@hawkeye10,
Hawkeye there are standard texts books that been around for generations where the subject matter cover is stable and yet there are tens of difference editions with very very slight changes.

All to keep the student from using second hand far cheaper copies of those books.

It is one hell of a big riped off that does not need e-books for them to get away with.
roger

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2012 01:24 pm
@BillRM,
I definately take your point on text books with minor changes to force the student into buying new. Still, once that book, text book or otherwise, it does not change, it does not just go away, and you can trade or sell it whenever you want.
spendius

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2012 01:28 pm
@BillRM,
Some people don't like second hand items Bill. I have many S/H books which have stains in them. I suppose they are mostly from coughing and sneezing. Tears maybe.

I'm more than half way waded through Prof Hoststader &Co's brilliant The United States: The History of a Republic and if you want to get to grips with rip-offs it looks as good a place to start as any.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2012 02:12 pm
@roger,
Quote:
Still, once that book, text book or otherwise, it does not change, it does not just go away, and you can trade or sell it whenever you want

Yes you can trade/sell an old edition of a text book however you can not used it in a classroom course without running the real risk that question 15 homework assignment is no longer a question concerning newton first law but newton second law instead.

The publishers and the authors had done small changes to destroy a large part of an older text book economic worth for no gain to the students only to themselves.
0 Replies

itsmohaddesa

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2012 11:16 am
@boomerang,
yes of course you should get back there as soon as possible and collect the books....you can even ask some street cleaner around to help you, books no matter in what condition should be respected and you can sell them to the people who buy old books so that they can be recycled or used in some other way Smile
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2012 09:19 am
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:

Schools already loan devices. Kids are assigned a device the same way they are assigned a textbook that must be returned. I know they are doing it with iPads and I can probably find a link given a little time.

I know people have a romantic soft spot for books, as do I,, but I'm currently sitting next to over 300 books in a device the size of a piece of toast so I'm not as concerned as I was before about the decline of printed books. I'm also someone who is starting to have trouble with my eyesight and I welcome the ability to make text larger and smaller with the touch of a button (or screen). I think eventually these devices will be very cheap or free and available to all just like our local libraries.
I remember reading an article about a public school in NYC that offered iPads to their students. I agree that in the long run it would probably be more cost efficient considering the price of textbooks and their frequent changes.

Libraries have also attempted to offer loans of ereaders in an effort to get more people reading (so few 'large print' books are purchased along with standard books and and, as you note, an ereader would solve this).

The Sacramento Public Library recently purchased Barnes & Nobles' ereader (the Nook), preloaded it with 20 books and offered it for check-out, but was sued by the DOJ under the ADA (claiming the B&N ereader is inaccessible to blind patrons). They reached a settlement wherein the library had to promise not to buy any additional Nooks and agree to purchase both the iPod Touch and iPads since these devices are accessible to blind patrons.

I imagine schools would face a similar challenge and that's probably why NYC went with the more expensive iPad.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2012 06:06 pm
I came across this newspaper article article yesterday & thought I'd post it here ....
What a terrific idea!
A free lending/book donation "library" right smack in the centre of the Melbourne CBD!
So you could browse & pick up a free book while you're shopping, or drop off the novel you've just finished on the train on your way to work ...
The centre works on a no obligation honesty system.
Love it! Smile

Quote:
One for the books as shopping centre opens a new chapter
September 7, 2012
Carolyn Webb/the AGE

http://images.theage.com.au/2012/09/06/3614459/Library_729-620x349.jpg
Melbourne Central's Justin Shannon in the Little Library at the shopping centre that operates on an honour system. Photo: Simon O'Dwyer

AMID the hundreds of retail outlets clamouring for your dollar at Melbourne Central shopping centre is an unlikely balm for the soul.

The centre's owners, the GPT Group, have quietly set up a free lending library. It's proved a hit and it's here to stay. At first glance the Little Library - on a busy level-two through-way from Swanston Street to the station - seems full of dog-eared 1970s potboilers.

It's an interesting concept and … worthy of thinking about for other centres.

A closer scan of the shelves yesterday revealed a biography of war hero Sir Edward Dunlop; Kevin Morgan's Gun Alley, about a 1920s Melbourne murder; the Michael Connelly crime novel Lost Light; and Simone de Beauvoir's The Second Sex.

But today the titles could be different, says Melbourne Central general manager Justin Shannon. In the first two weeks after it opened two months ago, the library turned over about 500 books. The first 1000 came from an appeal for donations via Facebook and Twitter, and GPT bought other books from op shops.

The idea was inspired by a US movement to set up free boxes of books in suburbs and towns. Little Library users can borrow with no fee, paperwork or overdue fines. They are asked to either return the book or to donate books from home.

Mr Shannon said it is a community service, deliberately sited in a prime spot. But he also believes it attracts new customers as a ''point of difference'' from other shopping centres and online retailers.

''Melburnians love these quirky little spaces,'' he said. ''They love their laneways and this integrated perfectly.''

Australian Retailers Association executive director Russell Zimmerman was astounded.

''I have never heard of the concept before,'' he said. ''I'm going to go down and have a look. To bring something quirky in and do something different I think can only help the retailers already in that shopping centre.

''It's an interesting concept and … worthy of thinking about for other centres.''

Shahri, a saleswoman at Hart & Heim, a gift shop next to the library, said: ''We love it here. I think it gives people that might be drifting alone somewhere to stop and appreciate. I think a lot of guys go over there while their girlfriends shop. People stop and take photos, they're quite excited about it.''

Paul Allan, 50, a student who lives in the city, is staying in a hostel while looking for permanent housing, so using the library means he doesn't need to lug books around. On his way to class, he often grabs a book to read over coffee in the nearby food court.

Yesterday he brought back two novels, and borrowed Irish academic Brian Keenan's true story of being kidnapped in Lebanon, An Evil Cradling.

''This is about the third time I've brought books back. It's a great idea,'' he said.

http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/books/one-for-the-books-as-shopping-centre-opens-a-new-chapter-20120906-25hd4.html

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2012 06:13 pm
I would go to our central Albuquerque library all the time (and donate to them all the time, I've some excellent books, I guarantee at least some of the people there would be interested) but they are too far away re my driving.

This is a problem with a dispersed city.
0 Replies