Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2012 03:36 pm
This isn't an anti-catholic diatribe, or not exactly.
I was a serious catholic until I was about nineteen or twenty and worked my way out after that. I respect the thoughts and feelings of catholics who stayed then, well, many of them.

It's the hierarchy who get my goat, but some of the hierarchy may have stayed for similar reasons of faith-despite. Or, those were their jobs.

Uh, followed by the followers, so I contradict myself.

A lot of us left then, and a lot stayed.
I wonder what is happening now, re movement in the church. I gather Africa has many more converts (no link) and older enclaves are losing interest.

Relics for John Paul II?

I'll bet St. Catherine's thumb he's no saint.

http://www.sunherald.com/2012/08/28/4150854/italian-police-pope-john-paul.html

A clip -

Italian police: Pope John Paul II relic stolen
Published: August 28, 2012 Updated 2 hours ago

This undated photo provided by Italian police shows a relic with a vial containing the late Pope John Paul II's blood. Italian railways police say they have foiled the theft aboard a train of a vial containing the late Pope John Paul II's blood. A priest Tuesday, Aug. 28, 2012 was carrying the relic aboard a train going from Rome to a suburb where the relic was supposed to be put on display for admirers of the pontiff, who died in 2005. Police said they would give details later on how they recovered the vial a few hours after it was snatched away Tuesday. John Paul's relics have gone on display in several parts of the world. The Vatican put the Polish-born pontiff quickly on the road to possible sainthood.

Read more here: http://www.sunherald.com/2012/08/28/4150854/italian-police-pope-john-paul.html#storylink=cpy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,302 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2012 04:22 pm
@ossobuco,
I do not think Catholicism requires that a relic must be remains of a saint.

A relic may be remains of a venerated individual.

Apparently Church officials consider John Paul II to be worthy of veneration.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2012 04:49 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Well, sure they do.
0 Replies