When do they leave?

Sun 26 Aug, 2012 08:00 pm
With a hurricane warning in effect for New Orleans, when will FEMA order a full evacuation, and provide the require transportation to get everybody out of the danger zone?
And if they don't or if everyone doesn't leave, who will get blamed for it?
After all, we don't want a repeat.of Katrina, especially since the repubs aren't in power to get blamed.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 13 • Views: 4,325 • Replies: 45
Topic Closed

JPB

Sun 26 Aug, 2012 08:15 pm
@mysteryman,
Well, I'll ignore the snottiness of your last statement. St Charles Parish (across the river from Kenner, SW from New Orleans) has ordered a mandatory evacuation beginning tomorrow.

Quote:
The St. Charles Parish Emergency Operations Center has called a mandatory evacuation for both East and West Bank residents as of 6 p.m. Aug. 26 due to the threat of dangerous storm surge and winds from Isaac. (For a list of recommended evacuation routes, visit www.stcharlesparish-la.gov/hurricane.)

Residents are asked to leave as soon as possible before the onset of deteriorating weather conditions beginning early Tuesday morning. Through the duration of the storm the parish expects to experience widespread power outages for an extended duration as well as a loss of emergency and parish services. This also includes the potential loss of all sewer and water services.

The EOC is fully active and taking actions in preparation for Tropical Storm Isaac, which is currently forecast to make landfall as a strong category 2 hurricane near the Louisiana / Mississippi state line on late Tuesday.

The parish expects to see the potential of 105 mph winds with higher gusts and extremely hazardous surges. The parish is currently under a hurricane warning. Pump stations will be monitored 24/7 throughout the storm, with the majority of pump stations having the ability to be monitored and controlled remotely.

St. Charles is urging residents to use social networks, family and neighbors to secure transportation out of the parish. However, those needing to make use of the parish's assisted evacuation program should call EOC IMMEDIATELY at (985) 783-5050. Bus pickups will take place Monday between 10:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Evacuees are limited to two bags – one carry-on size and one personal item. Those bringing pets should provide a labeled carrier, vaccination documentation and any pet medications.

Special needs assistance may be requested by calling (985) 783-5050.

Assuming you may actually be concerned about the well-being of people living in low-lying areas around the Gulf, I'll keep you posted.
JPB

Sun 26 Aug, 2012 08:17 pm
Grand Isle has also issued a mandatory evaq order.

Quote:
GRAND ISLE, La. - Grand Isle has called for a mandatory evacuation of campers and tourists immediately (1:30 p.m.).

All island residents are required to leave by 9 a.m. Monday.

0 Replies

JPB

Sun 26 Aug, 2012 08:22 pm
No evaq yet for New Orleans.

Quote:
NEW ORLEANS - Mayor Mitch Landrieu has declared a state of emergency over what is now Tropical Storm Isaac, which is forecast to become a hurricane before making landfall sometime late Tuesday night or early Wednesday.

Landrieu said there will be another press announcement at noon Monday, but as of this time, there is no call for evacuation based on the information they have at this time.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Sun 26 Aug, 2012 08:56 pm
@JPB,
And if people ignore the evacuation order, what then? Who will get the blame then?
JPB

Sun 26 Aug, 2012 09:11 pm
@mysteryman,
Nagin. He blew it so badly with both Katrina AND Gustav that most folks said "never again".

http://blog.nola.com/editorials/2008/09/next_time_we_wont_leave.html

However, I think the time for this type of discussion is not while we have a large storm brewing in the GOM. Once it gets into the gulf it will make landfall somewhere. And wherever that is there will be people who choose to ignore the evac orders.
0 Replies

oralloy

Sun 26 Aug, 2012 09:28 pm
Did they ever get the New Orleans flood walls fixed?

I remember posting an article some years ago where it had been discovered that the contractor rebuilding the walls had been filling the cracks between the slabs of concrete with old newspapers instead of sealing them properly.
JPB

Sun 26 Aug, 2012 10:04 pm
@oralloy,
I don't think anyone knows for sure. Hopefully we won't find out the hard way.
0 Replies

JPB

Sun 26 Aug, 2012 10:06 pm
New Orleans just came into play today. It's a little late to call for an evac so Landrieu is saying leave if you're going to leave but they are not planning on opening the Super Dome or the Convention Center.

Quote:
Mayor Landrieu: The thing that troubles me the most about this storm is that it’s so close to us. In the event that it moves to a much, much stronger storm--which we don’t have any indication it’s going to but we want to prepare for the worst—then it would put us in some trouble. Until then ,we want to watch it very ,very closely and tell people to be prepared. Be prepared to shelter in place because that’s what it looks like it’s going to be now. But of course these things can change overnight. If you’re able to leave, if you feel uncomfortable, if you’ve been through one of these before, now would be a great time to go.

Moore: Don’t we normally start looking at evacuations at 36 hours? Isn’t it too late?

Mayor Landrieu: Well that’s a good question. I don’t think it’s too late at this point but I think sometime tomorrow during the middle of the day, it will get to be where it is too late. And that’s one of the most dangerous things about this storm. Because it’s been so unpredictable, because it’s taken such a long time to form, because it’s so close to us, that could pose a problem in the event something that we don’t’expect happens in the middle of the night. That’s why, again, the governor and I both want to get ahead of this, let people know.
farmerman

Mon 27 Aug, 2012 05:27 am
@JPB,
The canal pumps have been uprgraded to a new system that (they say) would stem any water rise during a cat 4 hurricane spilling out Pontchartrain. They alo jacked the levies up a great deal for like 130 miles (except for the area around Plackemen and Metarie)
I think that the water handling will be a lot different than Katrina. These new pumps wont be shorted out by water .

Three days of hell and stress comin up for the NAwliners. Lets not be childish about it MM
0 Replies

revelette

Mon 27 Aug, 2012 10:53 am
Quote:
Mandatory evacuations outside New Orleans as Isaac nears

Updated at 12:40 p.m. ET: Residents in unprotected, low-lying areas outside New Orleans were evacuating Monday as Tropical Storm Isaac threatened to strengthen into a hurricane that could make landfall in or near Louisiana almost seven years to the day after Hurricane Katrina struck.

It's "trying to form an eye-like feature" but it's "still a little bit shy of hurricane status," National Hurricane Center Director Rick Knabb said in a morning update.

At 65 mph, Isaac was just nine miles short of hurricane status and that should happen within the next 24 hours, Knabb added.

The governors of Alabama, Louisiana and Mississippi declared states of emergency as a hurricane warning went into effect for a roughly 300-mile stretch of the Gulf Coast in four states from Louisiana to the Florida Panhandle.

"Tonight is when the conditions will start to go downhill" ahead of landfall by Tuesday night, Knabb said.

The National Hurricane Center was no longer forecasting a Category 2 hurricane on landfall, but instead a weaker Category 1. Still, Isaac will probably move slowly inland, possibly dumping as much as 18 inches of rain in places, Knabb said.

"That's going to be the big problem," NBC meteorologist Al Roker said on TODAY. "We're talking about potentially 24 hours of hurricane force winds and heavy rain."

"Storm surge is going to be a big, big problem," he added. "Six to twelve feet above normal as you get to New Orleans. Panama City is about four to seven feet."

Related: Follow Isaac's path with our storm tracker

The hurricane warning area runs from Morgan City, La., westward to Destin, Fla. It includes New Orleans, which was devastated when Hurricane Katrina swept over the city on August 29, 2005, killing more than 1,800 people and causing billions of dollars of damage along the coast. A hurricane hasn't hit the Gulf Coast since Ike in 2008.

Sensing a state of "high anxiety" across New Orleans, Mayor Mitch Landrieu noted the irony of Isaac's arrival. "The timing, as fate would have it, on the anniversary of Katrina has everybody in a state of alertness, but that is a good thing," he said.

If Isaac makes landfall a bit west of New Orleans, that puts the city in the northeast quadrant of the storm, Roker noted, "and that's the worst place" for storm impact.

Mandatory evacuations were ordered Monday morning for "our low-lying areas — those outside the hurricane protection system — such as Lafitte, Crown Point, Barataria and Grand Isle," Jefferson Parish President John Young told TODAY.

Plaquemines Parish also issued a mandatory evacuation order for residents on its east bank starting at noon Monday. Parts of Lafourche, Saint Charles, St. John parishes saw mandatory evacuations as well.

With tropical storm force winds that extend 240 miles from its center, Isaac is an unusually wide storm.

"Impacts will be far to the east and to the west of where it comes ashore," Craig Fugate, head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, told TODAY.

more at the source
0 Replies

parados

Mon 27 Aug, 2012 11:22 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

I remember posting an article some years ago where it had been discovered that the contractor rebuilding the walls had been filling the cracks between the slabs of concrete with old newspapers instead of sealing them properly.

That's why we need to let business regulate itself. Privatize everything.
JPB

Mon 27 Aug, 2012 11:29 am
I've seen a mixed bag of decisions from the folks I know there. Some are hunkering down in place, some have left, others are leaving today/tonight/tomorrow morning. I like that there's no contra-flow of traffic and people who leave will be able to return when they choose (so far, at least).
0 Replies

JPB

Mon 27 Aug, 2012 11:59 am
Ok then.... finish up your preps and hunker down.

Quote:
New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu called the date of Isaac’s arrival to the metropolitan area ironic Monday all while assuring that the city was prepared for the tropical storm.

“I want to tell everybody now that I believe that everything is going to be OK,” Landrieu said.” That does not mean that you can let your guard down. IT doesn’t mean that you can’t do everything that you planned to do.”

Landrieu called it patently obvious to New Orleanians and the world that “it is quite ironic that we have a hurricane that is threatening us on the seventh anniversary of Katrina.”

But he said during his noon press conference that the city is fully prepared to handle Isaac’s punch.

“The people of New Orleans have been incredibly resilient,” the mayor said. “The people of the metropolitan area, the people of Louisiana have been through many, many storms. We are very well prepared and we feel very good about our ability if we do the things that we know we can do to weather this storm.”

Landrieu said the path of Tropical Storm Isaac is becoming predictable as the hours close before landfall and that the city expects tropical storm-force winds to hit the city within the next 24 hours.

With the models focusing in on a New Orleans landfall, Landrieu said the city is ready to respond to the needs of those staying.

“We are staged, we are battle ready, we are in battle rhythm and we will be prepared to handle what comes our way,” Landrieu said.Source
0 Replies

TimeTravel

Mon 27 Aug, 2012 12:35 pm
@mysteryman,
This is clearly the MOST stupid place to have a large city on the planet. The Mississippi Watershed is extremely massive, and if you want to be flooded, because your ancestors were NUMB then just for whatever reason, live in a sinking swamp at the dead end of the watershed. That reminds me of those Texas Coast people who got totally blown away and smashed by 200 mph winds. Sorry folks but the coast could easily be spelled COST. Coastal can easily be spelled COST ALL, because with the US Government the only large backer of flood insurance, WE pay every time a bunch of idiots build in a stupid place that always will obviously get wiped out. This is a biblical blunder, for in the Book of Kings, isn't it summed up " a fool builds in the sand. " Sand castles look so nice, but the tide is rolling in, and soon, it will be up to your chin. FEMA is a bit too feminine to me and the Democrats a bit too EMO. Hurricanes like Katrina are obviously an act of GOD. Sorry folks, this is not George Bush's fault, it is GOD's fault, because DUM DUMS are little lollipops for Jazz playing Democrat idiots, who build houses in swamps, because they love Crawdads. That whole area began as a sort of penal colony. Is anything really new?
RABEL222

Mon 27 Aug, 2012 01:03 pm
@TimeTravel ,
We can move everyone 200 miles inland from all the coasts. Would that satisfy you? Oh, wait there are tornadoes so we can move everyone to the mountians. What part of the country would you advocate moving everyone for safety? You are a smaller government person judging from your post. How do you square that with telling people where to live and how to live?
JPB

Mon 27 Aug, 2012 06:09 pm
Two counties in MS call for mandatory evacuations of low-lying areas.

Quote:
Isaac is expected to bring a 6-12 foot surge as early as 3:00 am on Tuesday, August 28. In light of this development, the Mayor and Board of Aldermen have declared a mandatory evacuation south of Highway 90 and in other low lying areas, following a similar action by the Jackson County Board of Supervisors. Ocean Springs
0 Replies

JPB

Mon 27 Aug, 2012 06:12 pm
All flights in and out of New Orleans are canceled for tomorrow. The megabuses and Amtrak services are also canceled. Greyhound is running buses tonight; not sure about tomorrow.
0 Replies

oralloy

Mon 27 Aug, 2012 06:19 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
oralloy wrote:

That's why we need to let business regulate itself. Privatize everything.

No thank you.
0 Replies

oralloy

Mon 27 Aug, 2012 06:23 pm
@TimeTravel ,
TimeTravel wrote:
This is clearly the MOST stupid place to have a large city on the planet.

Nah. My vote goes to Seattle building a huge swath of their southern suburbs in valleys where a volcano sends a massive lahar to wipe everything out every century or so.

One day I'm going to turn on the news and find that a quarter million Americans just died.

1. Forums
  2. » When do they leave?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 10:41:54