My dog really scared me yesterday

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 11:19 am
My 14 month old Bichon Fries, Maddy, scared me badly yesterday. He got out the front door and started running around the neighborhood playing his "you can't catch me" game. He would come to the front door and scratch, but when I would open the door, he would run away. This went on for several minutes and then Maddy decided to go down the street about a block to a main street. Cars race along this street at over 40 MPH and I was terrified that Maddy would get into the street and be killed.

I was frantic as Maddy stood on the curb looking out into the street. I knew if I started towards him, he would continue his game and dash into the oncoming traffic. So I started calling to him in the same manner as I do in the house when he accidently scratches me when we are rough-housing. I tell him, "You're hurting me Maddy" in a high, whiny tone. He immediately stops and cuddles with me. So I started calling out to Maddy, "You're hurting me" and crying loud enough that he could hear me.

Maddy turned around to look at me and as I continued whimpering, he ran back to me to cuddle. That instinct probably saved his life.

BBB
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 816 • Replies: 8
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 11:22 am
When I've taken my dogs to Basic Obedience, they've always taught us to turn away/move away from a dog that's running away. If you follow/pursue them, they'll think you're playing their chase game. If you move away, they'll see you as the prey in the game, and want to capture you.

This sort of thing is always frightening. I'm glad Maddy listened to you, BBB.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 11:27 am
Beth
Beth, you ar so right. I think both my mutt and I need to go to obedience school.

BBB
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 06:47 pm
Ha! mutt, m.a.
Maddy is your babyboy!

BBB, I do recommend basic dog training for every dog. I've been very happy with the results at our local Petsmart. What I always appreciate is that the first class is for the humans only - so they can explain to us that it is our consistency that we're really working on. Dogs are MUCH easier to train than human companions are!
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 06:59 pm
Beth
Beth wrote: "Dogs are MUCH easier to train than human companions are!"

Does that mean that couples having problems should go see a dog trainer rather than a marriage counsellor?

BBB
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 07:14 pm
When my dog Holly would get out of the yard I learned very quickly not to chase her. I found that if I kneeled and called her to me she would come running just as fast as she could.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 07:34 pm
BBB, I can't tell you how many times, in reading parenting and relationship threads, that I've thought "man, you people need to go to obedience class, and learn how to be consistent".
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 07:36 pm
Heh!

Glad you and Maddy are both fine, BBB!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 08:03 pm
BBB
Quick thinking. I'm so glad Maddy is ok :-D
0 Replies