Freezer Blocking

gollum

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2012 06:34 am
If you fill up any unused space inside your freezer will it use less electricity? The theory is that the compressor will spend less time and, therefore, energy keeping the interior cold.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,823 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2012 07:04 pm
@gollum,
http://www.dailyfinance.com/2012/01/24/savings-experiment-freezers/

Quote:
Freezer Blocking

Lastly, if you're not using all of the space in the freezer, you can try "freezer blocking." Basically, freezer blocking means filling up any unused space inside the freezer, as the less air inside the freezer, the less electricity required. The theory is that the compressor will spend less time and, therefore, energy keeping the interior cold.

To freezer block, simply take empty cardboard boxes and fill them with leftover wall insulation. Any form of insulation can do the trick, but most folks stick to basic household wall insulation (fiberglass), as it's both inexpensive and easy to get. You can also use the insulating Styrofoam peanuts used for shipping and packaging, although those aren't environmentally friendly. Once the boxes are completely filled, seal them shut with tape and place them in the empty areas of the freezer.

Since freezer blocking hasn't been scientifically tested, the only evidence that it's working will be your electricity bill. Give it a couple months, and if it is working, you'll probably warm up to the idea of freezer blocking. Otherwise, you'll have some pretty chilly boxes on hand, which may work as cold compresses if you're running low on frozen peas.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2012 07:43 pm
@gollum,
There are two problems with this idea. The first is that air needs to circulate inside the freezer to effectively cool. The freezer cools the air, the air cools the food. Blocking all the air flow hurts your freezer's effectiveness and also stops it from reading the correct freezer temperature so it knows when to turn on and off the compressor. (Imagine putting your house thermostat in a closet with the door closed and no circulation.) The second issue is that the compressor is already turning off when not needed. Empty space doesn't take any additional energy to cool so filling it up doesn't save you anything. You might argue that if you open the freezer and it has a lot of empty space, warm air will rush in and that air will have to be cooled, but since the freezer is closed almost all the time I can't see a lot of savings there. I think you will lose more by keeping the door open to pack and unpack every time you need to move something around.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2017 05:06 am
When I worked at the apartments, residents were continually filling the freezers too full and blocking air flow. The freezer coils would then freeze over and I would have to defrost them. One resident filled his freezer compartment with raw chicken three times, causing me to have to remove it and thaw the refrigerator coils. I finally told him to buy a small freezer for the chicken.
0 Replies

Dean Haustead

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2017 11:56 pm
@gollum,
I don't Think your Idea Will Work. Course If Block the freezer Then Composure Will take more time to circulate the air.
0 Replies