Ice in freezer area

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 04:44 pm
I arrived at this house and used a tiny refrigerator. I missed my old one. My own eventually got moved in, and eventually pooped out.

I bought a new low end refrigerator freezer. Quite good for a while, and then, there were ice sheets in the freezer.
What was that about? I studied the directions that came with the appliance. Yes, yes.
The ice accumulated.
I worried.

One sunny day, I figured it out. It was not some freak refrigerator thing, but the fact that my ice cube trays leaked. Who knew ice cube trays leak? I'd never run into that before. I'm so old I remember the metal ones.

I managed to uplift the ice sheet at the freezer bottom and now keep an eye on all those badddddd cheap freezer ice trays. Yes, a new one drips. I avoid filling that ice cube area.

I've a copper connection to my refrigerator, so I could get to install some $40.00 ice cube maker thing for a while. and then again and again. I just don't. Plus our water is crud. I'm not interested in re-coppering.

Ice still a treat..

Anyone else not have an ice cube maker?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,951 • Replies: 7
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 04:49 pm
@ossobuco,
I didn't have one for a long time. I bought bags of ice because the ice cube trays drove me nuts. Ice cube trays suck.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 04:52 pm
@boomerang,
When I first moved here, I used Dys and Diane's patio refrigerator. Very small. Mine being in storage.
I bought ice from the local market probably every other day. Talk about aggravating.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 04:59 pm
@ossobuco,
That all sounds confusing, took me a while to remember.

My stuff was in storage, I borrowed Dys and Diane's patio fridge, got my fridge moved in, and a couple of years later it plotzed. (I lived with the tiny one for months, and they lived without it for months.) Got a new one, relatively recently, and got this ice sheet stuff. Thus the thread.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 05:33 pm
I've never had an ice maker. Hardly ever use ice, guess that's cause I live in a freezer half the year. New ice trays are pretty cheap though. It would suck not to have some about in the heat.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 06:26 pm
@ossobuco,
Freeze water in washed milk jugs, Osso and then cut the plastic off and put the ice block in a heavy plastic bag or three. Get an ice pick and take off what you need, when you need it. Keeping a few ice blocks in a freezer helps to keep the freezer temp more stable.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 06:58 pm
@JTT,
My freezer is small.

Dunno.
JTT

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 08:57 pm
@ossobuco,
Only use one milk container then, Osso. Even a two quart one. That oughta give you plenty of ice until another freezes.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Ice in freezer area
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 04:50:11