Yeah...I'm one of those guys who enjoys watching women's beach volleyball.

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 02:04 pm
Very enjoyable sport to watch...and the women are a turn-on. The Czech team damn near traumatized me.

My personal opinion is that what I just said is not being sexist...or objectifying women.

It has been called to my attention that there are guys actually paid to give some of these women leg massages.

76 is a lousy age to discover that I fucked up big time making career choices.

ossobuco

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 02:08 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Laughing..
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 02:35 pm
I think you have touched on the main reason the sport is even watched at all, at least among men.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 02:36 pm
@edgarblythe,
He wishes he could 'touch on' it.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 02:36 pm
@edgarblythe,
Not this one lol. Personally I like watching the Men’s Gymnastic’s Cool

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg14/scaled.php?server=14&filename=bildeir.jpg&res=landing
roger

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 02:43 pm
@jcboy,
Well, kind of. It's women's gymnastics for me, especially those moments when you just have to ask "How do they do that?" Some I've seen in slow motion, and still couldn't make out exactly how they did it. I watched one event of women's beach volleyball, and there wasn't one single moment that made me wonder how a human body could do all that. Lots of hugging back and forth, though. I think they did that so we could tell they did something right.

sozobe

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 02:55 pm
@roger,
I enjoyed it actually -- I watched the US vs Brazil match (I did not like how the one Brazilian bossed around the other and was happy to see them lose), then some of the US vs. US match. There were definitely leaps and dives and crazy-hard hits that made me go whoa.

Now rhythmic gymnastics, that I don't get.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 02:58 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Compare this "sport" to women's track. I cannot see how beach volleyball is an olympic event, based on my not understanding what makes the players athletes?

sozobe

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 02:59 pm
@Foofie,
Should basketball be an olympic event?

Similar skillset. (Speed, leaping ability, accuracy in passing, etc.)
Foofie

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 03:37 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

It does have more strategy/tactics, I believe. A two player team that arouses people's libido may somehow be different.

I personally would want the Olympics to be based on athletic ability, without a respective country. Too much national pride mixed in with the althletic events, in my opinion. In effect, the sponsoring country for that year's Olympics would pay for all visiting athletes. No ceremonies for countries. No flags. Just individual egos competing. Just like a country's main sport.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 04:33 pm
Ummm...lemme put it this way:

https://lh4.ggpht.com/xIzwc0E4Q_BmgTShJXKkkYrgPdfr0T79SXs1l8lCXTmNQHQ6jmOB0kagyhXDHTBhxCuuhlE=s1200
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 05:10 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

Maybe, but just how far can we stretch the definition of amature?
sozobe

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 05:24 pm
@roger,
Not sure which direction you mean -- as in, they played like professionals so they shouldn't have been in the Olympics, or they played like amateurs (not well)?

I don't have a problem with people noticing their physiques anymore than I have a problem with anyone noticing the physiques of Ryan Lochte (who shows a lot more skin) or Usain Bolt or Ashton Easton any of the other stellar physiques on display at the Olympics. It's a singular collection of stellar physiques, of both sexes.

But I don't really get the denigration of the sport in general -- they're real athletes, no question.
roger

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 05:35 pm
@sozobe,
Maybe I'm misunderstanding something. Isn't Kobe Bryant on the team? I could swear he is an NBA professional.
sozobe

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 05:45 pm
@roger,
Yeah, professionals are allowed, not sure over how many sports. Definitely men's basketball.

My point was just I didn't get which way you meant it, as the Olympics has a tradition of being for amateurs, not professionals (professional basketball players only started being allowed fairly recently).
engineer

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 06:26 pm
@sozobe,
Pros are now allowed in every sport although many Olympic sports don't have such things as pros. Tennis and Ice Hockey are examples. Men's soccer allows some pros. From Wikipedia:
Quote:
For the 1984 Los Angeles Games, the IOC decided to admit professional players. FIFA still did not want the Olympics to rival the World Cup, so a compromise was struck that allowed teams from Africa, Asia, Oceania, and CONCACAF to field their strongest professional sides, while restricting UEFA and CONMEBOL teams to players who had not played in a World Cup. Many countries fielded young teams, including France, who won the 1984 Olympic title, coincidentally in the same year that the main team won the European Football Championship, less than two months before.

Since 1992 male competitors must be under 23 years old, with three over-23 players allowed per squad. The new format allows teams from around the world to compete equally, and African countries have taken particular advantage of this, with Nigeria and Cameroon winning in 1996 and 2000 respectively.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 06:54 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I very much enjoy watching them as well, but it as absolutely nothing to do with sex.

This isn't to say that sex cannot steer my attention, but that overwhelmingly, there is nothing "sexy" about these players.

Maybe I don't have enough testosterone, but flat breasts and flat asses don't arouse me simply because they are covered by bikinis.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2012 10:00 am
The male swimmers look damned good to me. My favorites in the physique department. I also like their uniforms.
tycoon

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2012 08:34 pm
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

The male swimmers look damned good to me. My favorites in the physique department. I also like their uniforms.

That was me in lane 3.
Roberta

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2012 01:02 am
@tycoon,
Hey, tycoon. Was that you? I leer as I type.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Yeah...I'm one of those guys who enjoys watching women's beach volleyball.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 12:53:21