Why do men have beards?

Atom Blitzer

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2012 02:52 pm
@Ragman,
Right. just as I suspected.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2012 02:53 pm
There is not only no reason to assume that women were "just as outdoorsy" as men, there is good reason to assume that they were not.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2012 02:57 pm
@iamsam82,
Wow, I step away from the thread for a bit and you moved into ultra dick mode while I was gone.

Cycloptichorn
iamsam82

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2012 03:07 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
The guy branded me a racist the other day for no reason and started being rude here too. He's been trolling me all weekend. He belittles rather than discusses. He's a knob.
Ragman

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2012 03:08 pm
@iamsam82,
Just a suggestion but perhaps you might want to look at your own behavior in this thread and keep your emotions in check? Calling someone a **** is a non-no and pretty far over the line. Maturity and/or civility levels can vary.
iamsam82

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2012 03:13 pm
@Ragman,
You are right. I regret dropping the c-bomb. But he's been trying to rile and provoke me the whole weekend. Have a read of his comments in this thread and this one http://able2know.org/topic/194629-1. Actually don't. That'd be sad. There are far more interesting things to be doing on this site than this puerile crap. It's just he spends more time trying to dig up dirt on members and insulting them than answering their questions. I just hate bad teachers who go straight into arrogant I'm right and you're a dick mode without even reading or responding to points you make. The guy's clearly smart. It's just his manner is so obnoxious. Look at Thomas and Farmerman: true gents.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2012 03:15 pm
@iamsam82,
A second (and, IMO, more important) purpose for hair/facial hair/body hair is UV protection.
DrewDad

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2012 03:19 pm
@DrewDad,
All of this also presupposes that there is a purpose for every evolutionary change.

There is not.

We are a product of random changes, some of which provided improved survival chances.
iamsam82

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2012 03:19 pm
@DrewDad,
I agree. Said this earlier too. But much of the chin, because of the position of the head, is usually in the shade anyway, or at least not always in the direct glare of the sun. Beards on our shoulders would make more sense, if UV protection was the beard's function. And in any case, women also are at risk from harmful rays. They don't have beards.
0 Replies

iamsam82

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2012 03:23 pm
@DrewDad,
Quote:
All of this also presupposes that there is a purpose for every evolutionary change.

There is not.

We are a product of random changes, some of which provided improved survival chances.

You're bang on the money there. And it may be that the keeping of the beard is a pointless bi-product of evolution. There may be no reason why men kept it and women didn't. I certainly would take this option over men requiring warmer chins than women.

Part of me still thinks it might have been an indicator of testosterone levels though - positive in men, not desired in women.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2012 03:39 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

A second (and, IMO, more important) purpose for hair/facial hair/body hair is UV protection.

At first glance that makes awfully good sense -- facial hair as UV protection. But, then, it doesn't answer the question of why any significant amount of facial hair is such a rarity among females. Why do males need more UV protection? Both sexes were out in the sun for about the same time periods.
DrewDad

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2012 03:49 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I should probably have included fur and feathers.....
0 Replies

DrewDad
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2012 03:53 pm
@iamsam82,
Also, the genome is not simply a binary code where genes are turned on and off. Changing one feature will often affect something that appears completely unrelated.

Take the number of vertebrae that mammals have. If I remember correctly, birds have a variable number of vertebrae (think of a swan or a flamingo). Mammals all have the same number of vertebrae, because if a mammal mutates to have more vertebrae, other undesirable characteristics are also expressed.
iamsam82

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2012 04:00 pm
@DrewDad,
Interesting. Any specific examples of what happens when a mammal mutates and has another vertebra?

It might well be that the beard is, as you say, a bi-product. But it remains strange that the difference between men and women is so marked in terms of facial hair. You'd have thought whatever primary evolutionary change (which meant beards also had to be kept) that happened to men would also have happened to women.

Although you may be right, thinking about it: Testosterone increases muscle build. Men needed the extra muscle to fulfil their social role. The beard is the bi-product of increased testosterone. Therefore the beard is still switched on in the male and finer in the female. Actually it's probably the other way round. Women's testosterone levels dropped when their roles became less physically demanding and their beard is switched off. You may have cracked it.
DrewDad

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2012 04:09 pm
@iamsam82,
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/05/110505212314.htm

Quote:
Aberrant neck vertebrae are usually correlated with an increase in risk of stillbirth, childhood cancer and neuronal problems in mammals. These pleiotropic events are often associated with physical problems, such as thoracic outlet syndrome, due to misplaced or crushed nerves, muscles and blood vessels.

The only mammals which have evolved different numbers of neck vertebrae without any apparent problems are sloths and manatees
iamsam82

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2012 04:13 pm
@DrewDad,
Sloths are so cool.
Rockhead

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2012 04:14 pm
@iamsam82,
I want a hedgehog...

now that's some facial hair.
iamsam82

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2012 04:16 pm
@Rockhead,
Hedghogs grow facial hair like a boss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NisCkxU544c
0 Replies

iamsam82

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2012 05:05 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
You are making quite a few logical jumps in just a few sentences.

Quote:

Hair is different to nail. Their jobs must be different.

I would submit that this is an illogical statement that isn't supported by fact.

I'm not sure it is an illogical statement. The job of the keratin based growth on the top of your head is to insulate your body. The job of the keratin based growth on the ends of your toes and fingers is to protect the sensitive tips of the fingers and provide a hard surface to push against when trying to pick up and manipulate small objects. It makes our grip better.

So the two keratin based growths have manifestly different roles.
Joeblow

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2012 07:04 pm
I’d like to know why, after all this time, *I* suddenly have a moustache.