Trial lawyers successfully sue on behalf of people who poured gasoline onto fires.

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 05:24 am
http://danfromsquirrelhill.wordpress.com/2012/07/23/trial-lawyers-successfully-sue-on-behalf-of-people-who-poured-gasoline-onto-fires/

Quote:

The Wall St. Journal reports:

Quote:
“Until recently, Blitz USA—the nation’s No. 1 consumer gasoline-can producer, based in Miami, Oklahoma—was doing fine… Then the trial attorneys hit on an idea with trial-lawyer logic: They could sue Blitz when someone poured gas on a fire (for instance, to rekindle the flame) and the can exploded… Blitz paid around $30 million to defend itself, a substantial sum for a small company. Of course, Blitz’s product liability insurance costs spiked. In June, Blitz filed for bankruptcy. All 117 employees will lose their jobs…”

ZREX

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 08:50 am
@gungasnake,
That is just a shame, another corporation punished for individual irresponsibility. Adding 117 to the unemployed.
gungasnake

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 09:57 am
@ZREX,
The trial lawyers guild is one of the two or three major pillars of financial support for the demokkkrat party:

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=%22triasl+lawyers%22++%22democrat+party%22&oq=%22triasl+lawyers%22++%22democrat+party%22&gs_l=hp.3..0i13i30j0i8i13i30l2.4147.14190.1.14499.34.33.0.0.0.0.833.5912.7j18j5j2j6-1.33.0.eqn%2Ccconf%3D1-0%2Cmin_length%3D2%2Crate_low%3D0-025%2Crate_high%3D0-025%2Csecond_pass%3Dfalse%2Cnum_suggestions%3D2%2Cignore_bad_origquery%3Dtrue..0.0...1c.KUPzlJn3I2I&psj=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=8f43c5bd048b596f&biw=952&bih=407

We all pay for this. We could easily cut the cost of medicine in this country in half simply by stopping lawsuits against doctors, hospitals, and pharmaceuticals.

We'd need to simultaneously establish a general fund to compensate victims of malpractice for actual damage and a non-inbred tribunal to eliminate bad actors in the medical profession. All of tht would be easy enough to do if the demokkkrat party did not exist.

ZREX

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 12:27 pm
@gungasnake,
While I agree that limiting frivolous lawsuits would help reduce the cost of healthcare. There are more pressing issues that if successfully addressed would plummet the cost. I now work in an ER, everyday I work I witness system abuse being one of them. The last thing I want my tax dollars going to is a victims compensation fund, the gov t has no capacity to administer a program such as that, they are hosing up the programs they already administer. Perhaps having to have a potential lawsuit have to pass through a panel similar to a grand jury before it could be filed would be worth further exploring. Has to pass the panel of common sense first...Lol. Wonder if I could sue Keebler they put surger in the cookies, surger causes cavities, cavities hurt and there is no caution statement warning me of that on the package nor does it say to brush my teeth. Just kidding....
RABEL222

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 03:12 pm
@ZREX,
Judges have the authority to throw our frivolous lawsuits in most states now.
ZREX

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 05:20 pm
@RABEL222,
Thought they always did! I was being facetious for the most part, the system has it s flaws but still best one I am aware of. Jump on my individual responsibility hype again. Most local judges are elected so can be voted out just like other lame duck politiams
0 Replies

ZREX

@RABEL222,
Thought they always did! I was being facetious for the most part, the system has it s flaws but still best one I am aware of. Jump on my individual responsibility hype again. Most local judges are elected so can be voted out just like other lame duck politiams
0 Replies

ZREX

@RABEL222,
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 03:52 am
For lack of a 5 cent flame arrestor Blitz was lost.

Blitz gas cans were manufactured and sold at Walmart without a flame arrestors, that little metal frit installed in the neck of the fill spout of almost every gas can sold since WWII (BTW it isn't a filter). Those nasty Trial Lawyers demonstrated that Blitz knowingly omitted the installation of these 5 cent flame arrestors sold at WalMart.

What is interesting is that Blitz gas cans sold to the military (and most other retaillers) were required to have this 'flame arrestor installed. A requirement that Blitz was more than happy to meet, knowing that flame arrestors were a good requirement, particularly when refuelling already warm small engines.

Unfortunately, for Blitz, cans sold at WalMart were knowingly sold without that important safety feature. As a result several people were severly burned, including the death of an infant, as the result of exploding gas cans that lacked this 5 cent part.

Unfortunately for Blitz, their defence plan for the omission of this simple cheap and easy safety feature was to spend their assets on attorneys rather than fixing the problem.

As for the 117 lost jobs--IMO it isn't the result of nasty DEMOKKKRAT Trial Lawyers and frivolous law suits--it is more the result of TEAPUBLIKKKAN overt mangement pigheadiness to engineer a fix of the situation when the problem first surfaced. A decision that kinda made subsequent incidents kinda difficult to defend in court.

DEMOKKKRAT and TEAPUBLIKKKAN are attempts and GANGASNAKKKE humor and are not to be taken serially.

Rap
farmerman

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 04:05 am
@raprap,
hanks rap. I know that, for every post that gunga makes, facts are usually a lagging item.

Did Blitz ever get any warnings about teh missing arrestors?

I know that mny items at Walmart are sold only BECAUSE they are cheaper than similar products. However, certain critical items in the products, like low wattage in many tools, low pigment carry for paints, and several stainless specs for stuff like cookeware.

I wonder if WalMart is in collusion with manufacturers to produce cheaper (read lower quality )stuff?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 06:16 am
One way or another, trial lawyers created an artificial situation and then sued a company which had employed 117 people into oblivion. That's not a happy solution to anything. Walmart or government could have simply required flame arrestors on gas cans if they're really needed.
farmerman

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 07:48 am
@gungasnake,
so you are saying that Walmart is also complicit?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 08:00 am
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:
The trial lawyers guild is one of the two or three major pillars of financial support for the demokkkrat party:

For every lawyer, there's at least one client.

Do you blame the gun whenever a bullet is fired?

Quote:
We all pay for this. We could easily cut the cost of medicine in this country in half simply by stopping lawsuits against doctors, hospitals, and pharmaceuticals.

I rather like the idea that my doctor understands if he's negligent he might get a lawsuit.
Ticomaya

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 08:02 am
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:
One way or another, trial lawyers created an artificial situation ...

You mean trial lawyers persuaded Blitz to intentionally sell a defective product, just so they could sue them?

I don't like ambulance chasers, but lawyers aren't always the problem, gunga.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 08:04 am
@Ticomaya,
Quote:
I rather like the idea that my doctor understands if he's negligent he might get a lawsuit.

Maybe the problem is too restrictive tort laws. I wonder what would happen if we could sue people for posting stupid things online?
BillRM

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 09:39 am
@gungasnake,
Seems off hand that company should be out of business if it knowingly let out a cheap safety feature that is in all other gas cans in fact off hand criminal charges should also be file for unneeded deaths.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 09:48 am
@parados,
What are you trying to do, fix the Internet?

Damn Liberal Hippy!
parados

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 11:01 am
@DrewDad,
Most lawyers run a small business. Shouldn't we get the government off their backs and allow them to do what they want?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Trial lawyers successfully sue on behalf of people who poured gasoline onto fires.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 12:39:43