Would you trust Craigslist??

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 09:09 am
My camera broke during my vacation (ugh) and it's going to cost me over $250 for repairs.... I am debating if I should just upgrade and get a new camera (body only runs $550).... But I found two nice ones on craigslist...

But can I honestly trust craigslist?

Green Witch

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 09:16 am
@Crazielady420,
I've bought things via Craigslist, but only from local people when I could go and see the item. No problems, but the things I bought were not technical (old farm equipment, antique baskets etc). I think it is very much a case by case situation. I think Ebay might be a better bet because of Ebay and Paypal protections.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 11:19 am
@Crazielady420,
For electronics? Never. Even if the seller isn't trying to cheat or scam you then you have to deal with the seller's potential lack of electronic expertise and ability to fairly judge the state (mechanically as well as appearance) of the camera he or she is selling. You probably will be paying far too much for a used camera of unknown mechanical condition. Plus there will be no warranty at all.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 02:25 pm
It's not Craigslist you need to worry about, it's the people selling. Phone them and suss them out. I've bought and sold (and gotten my two dogs) on Kijiji (same thing), and never had a problem. They're just people, so talk to them and see how it goes.
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 04:35 pm
In the end I opted for repairs and sent it in to get fixed ($285)... It'll be back in a few weeks

General consensus was that craigslist is good for some items but not for high tech items!

Thanks guys (and gals)
0 Replies