How do you become mature?

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 01:47 pm
Like what is the process?

I mean can any one person become truly mature, cause maturity looks to be the perfect ideal.

I just got out of summer detention. But my pops always sees me as an immature mischievous bugger. So I get into trouble here and there, I speak out my mind sometimes although it can be rude, but so what?
I have a 3.8 GPA, I'm in three athletic teams, I mean what more does he expect me to be.

So is maturity acting all boring and "appropriate?" It looks like it is a boring job, and I think adults around me have unreasonable expectations. It seems like being an adult is boring as well.

So there's my twist, so what do you think will brainwash me to become a "mature" person?

View best answer, chosen by Atom Blitzer
aspvenom

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 02:19 pm
@Atom Blitzer,
What did you do to get into summer detention?
Atom Blitzer

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 02:38 pm
@aspvenom,
Well it was undeserved.
A kid an yr older than me pissed me off past my threshold, well he was more of a bully sort. So to get back at him I picked his gas cap and siphoned gas on to the road. Luck failed me, and I was caught red handed by the school janitor.
Anyways, that is not so important.
Val Killmore

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 02:56 pm
@Atom Blitzer,
Time and experience.
To tell you the truth, everyone can act immature. It is the easy way.

This forum, for example, is filled with immature posts, no matter the age. Even I have acted immaturely here.

Everyone at some of point of their adult stage have acted out on their emotion and acted selfishly, thus being childish or immature. The thing with being an adult is that you better learn to disguise your immaturity.
0 Replies

Rorschach

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 03:18 pm
@Atom Blitzer,
What you need is discipline.

Go join boot camp when you're 17.

Man I sound like my drill instructor. As I remember, he was an ass.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 03:20 pm
Val is right. Time and experience are the only things that lead to maturity. And then not always. There are septuagenerians on this forum who sometimes sound like adolescents.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 03:35 pm
@Atom Blitzer,
Do you suppose it might have been related to fire hazard?
Rockhead

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 03:40 pm
@roger,
with the current price of gas, if it were a pick-up truck it could be a felony...

maturity is a state of mind.

learning how to stay young and carefree within the rules is something you learn as you get some life experience in you...
0 Replies

Atom Blitzer

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 04:13 pm
Learning to react in an appropriate manner is what I have trouble doing. I know I need to be more thoughtful of other people, but it is kinda hard for me to be like that when I'm in a haze of anger, or when I am snarky.

So I need to work on controlling my temper, and not being inconsiderate.

Now that is easier said than done.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 04:38 pm
@Atom Blitzer,
Atom Blitzer wrote:

Now that is easier said than done.

Well, of course. That is a truism of life. Everything is easier said than done. But a mature person, after saying it, does it.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 06:00 pm
@Atom Blitzer,
That's big progress right there.
0 Replies

Setanta
  Selected Answer

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 02:47 am
@Atom Blitzer,
Part of maturity is also in knowing when and to whom to show consideration. Holding a door for someone rather than letting it slam in their face, or when they are burdened and you are not is reasonable, because their expectation does you no harm. Talking about Jesus to some joker who pounds on your door at 8:00 a.m. on a Saturday, or buying $20 worth of candy bars from someone for their child's school band is not a reasonable expecation, and you are not being unreasonable to tell them no. A lot of people in life will have expectations of you, and you need to learn to judge which are reasonable and which are not. If someone brands you inconsiderate because you do not respond to an unreasonable expectation, you are justified in ignoring the criticism. You are also justified in not meeting the expectations to those who offer you something unsolicited in order to establish a debt on your part.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 08:11 am
"Maturity comes from experience. And experience... well, that comes from immaturity."
0 Replies