Laurel and Hardy whistling cockatiels rescued

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 11:40 am
Laurel and Hardy whistling cockatiels rescued
Story filed: 13:04 Friday 20th February 2004

Eight stolen cockatiels have been rescued by police after a member of the public heard them whistling the Laurel and Hardy theme tune.

The birds, which were stolen from an aviary in Salisbury last month, have been reunited with their owner at a police station after detectives received an anonymous tip-off.

The cockatiels, which were among 12 stolen, first developed a habit of whistling after a new addition to the aviary arrived whistling the Laurel and Hardy tune and soon had half the flock singing along.

At first the affectation seemed little more than a quirky trait but when birds later went missing police realised it could prove to be an important clue.

Wiltshire Police issued an appeal through the media last month urging members of the public to listen out for birds whistling the tune.

Police received an anonymous call yesterday from a member of the public with an ear for music who heard the distinctive call in the Bishopdown Farm area of Salisbury and remembered the unusual appeal.

Police later recovered eight birds and a stolen cage from the address and a 33-year-old man and a 27-year-old woman have been arrested on suspicion of theft. They are currently being interviewed at Salisbury police station.

The cockatiels' owner, who asked not to be named, said: "I bought a bird from a man up in Swindon when I was working up there one day. That bird had previously been kept in an indoor cage and its owner then had taught it to whistle Laurel and Hardy. When I brought it down here and put it in the aviary, soon some of the other birds started to whistle as well."

He added that the birds had gone missing over two nights last month.

The first time he discovered some of his birds missing he thought that he must have left the door open but when it happened a second time other items had been also been taken.

The four other birds are still missing.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,176 • Replies: 5
No top replies

quinn1

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 11:46 am
Excellent that they have a way of tracing the little guys..funny too.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 01:19 pm
Now all the police have to do is get the thieves to sing.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 05:28 pm
And then they can take a flying trip to Sing-Sing!
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 05:37 pm
I think I found one of the missing birdies
I think I found one of the missing birdies---BBB

http://www.acclaimimages.com/_gallery/_SM/0017-0309-2414-4106_SM.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 07:45 pm
awwww!

One day just before I left Venice, CA to move north, there was a special event for the opening of the new Library on Venice Blvd. I had three friends among those speaking at the ceremony - the Venice librarian, who was a pal from high school; the assemblywoman, who was a local friend; and a tv anchor, who is one of my close friends. It was either the assemblyperson or the anchor who was speaking when .... from way up in a big tree, a Washintonia robusta palm, I believe, came the commanding voice of a white cockatoo......... it was wonderful, clearly it (a she, no doubt about it, as the speakers were shes) wanted to be part of the show honoring a home of books and knowledge...
0 Replies